IGNORED

Ebola Patient to be treated in Atlanta

keen23

You obviously haven't read the comments sections on news articles about these two aid workers being brought to the U.S. They are rife with cowardly and foolish panic. It's pathetic. And I stand by my statement that these same people have no problem shouting from the roof tops that the U.S. needs to send the military to war zones to destroy whomever they feel is doing wrong at that moment. They have no issues with insisting soldiers put their lives at grave risk to save their sorry asses, but they are not willing to return the favor (at significantly less risk). That is the definition of cowardly and uncaring. Being a tad bit apprehensive is fine (I'm sure the soldiers are very apprehensive when going into battle), but insisting we leave two brave aid workers to die in Africa simply to save their skin is not acceptable. And yes, many, many, many comments were suggesting we leave them there.

I agree with you in so far as I am glad the aid workers are going to Emory and will receive top care. But, I find the comment sections on most articles to be horrendous places.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You obviously haven't read the comments sections on news articles about these two aid workers being brought to the U.S. They are rife with cowardly and foolish panic. It's pathetic. And I stand by my statement that these same people have no problem shouting from the roof tops that the U.S. needs to send the military to war zones to destroy whomever they feel is doing wrong at that moment. They have no issues with insisting soldiers put their lives at grave risk to save their sorry asses, but they are not willing to return the favor (at significantly less risk). That is the definition of cowardly and uncaring. Being a tad bit apprehensive is fine (I'm sure the soldiers are very apprehensive when going into battle), but insisting we leave two brave aid workers to die in Africa simply to save their skin is not acceptable. And yes, many, many, many comments were suggesting we leave them there.

I have seen it too. I live in a highly populated area, and all three local news outlet pages are filled with many of the most vile, disgusting comments I have seen in a long time. Many of those comments were saying the workers deserve to die for being stupid and not taking the proper precautions.

I understand the questioning and concern when the plan was first announced to bring them here, but these comments are on articles that outline, give facts and information about the virus, the process of transport and hospitalization, and how the general population is safe. Heck, I even tried to explain things, but all I got was a lot of backlash about being naive and stupid.

It angers me that people behind the safety of their computer have the audacity to even suggest the workers should be left to die in another country simply because people are too damn lazy to educate themselves about the virus and the precautions the CDC and Emory have taken to ensure the safety of the public. Honestly, I am more alarmed at the lack of compassion, empathy, and education many are exhibiting in this situation than the virus unleashing on the public. I had to remove myself because the paranoia and stupidity was just too much to stomach.

Also there's been a storm about it on Twitter...search the hashtag #ebolaoutbreak america. They'll make you shake your head, that's for sure. Spoiler Alert: It's all Obama's fault.

But haven't you heard? The immigrant children are in on it too! They have been infected with the virus given to them by the U.S. government! We are all going to die because Obama is actually Dr. Evil, and he has plotted to take us all down to move in the Muslim Brotherhood. :|

It never ceases to amaze me that the same people that claim President Obama is stupid seem to also believe he is great at multitasking just to destroy the U.S. If the guy is so stupid like they claim, how can he handle all the complicated tasks to take down America all at once?

But haven't you heard? The immigrant children are in on it too! They have been infected with the virus given to them by the U.S. government! We are all going to die because Obama is actually Dr. Evil, and he has plotted to take us all down to move in the Muslim Brotherhood. :|

It never ceases to amaze me that the same people that claim President Obama is stupid seem to also believe he is great at multitasking just to destroy the U.S. If the guy is so stupid like they claim, how can he handle all the complicated tasks to take down America all at once?

There are a lot of people suggesting that he's doing this on purpose to create a crisis and then order martial law. Or to force population control on America. Just...just wut? When did America become such a bunch of tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists?

There are a lot of people suggesting that he's doing this on purpose to create a crisis and then order martial law. Or to force population control on America. Just...just wut? When did America become such a bunch of tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists?

When my husband and I first moved into the area, one of our neighbors that runs his own HVAC company introduced himself and then proceeded to go on a nutty tangent about how Obama was personally trying to destroy his business. Yep, I walked backwards slowy to my home and now just wave when walking the neighborhood. I never want to sit through another rant like that again. I can only imagine what is running through his head right now, and I am not game to find out.

We've always had the nuts. The internet gives them a forum. I used to work with a guy who had the wildest conspiracy theories, but he had no outlet except talking to normal people so it kept him somewhat in check.

The good news is that reports say Dr. Brantly is somewhat improved already.

What?!?! People on the Internet went ballistic and are frothing in the mouth in rage at a story !? I am SHOCKED I tell you, shocked! :shock:

In the past two days, just clicking on whatever random Story popped up on my newsfeed I have seen many, many comments from people completely , incoherently, enraged at the following horrific events/people:

--- vegans!

--- the invention of a car alarm seat that let's parents know they are forgetting their baby!

--foods that are bad for you!

--people who are too fat!

--- people who are too skinny!

-- Justin Beiber!

--- Central American refuge children! ( many of which have the Ebola virus!)

---Atheists!

---Christians!

--A missing child! -FYI this rage is directed at the missing child's parents.

It isn't just that Americans, as a general group, are freaking out About these two Ebola cases, it's that some people on the Internet freak out about everything

Look, 40 years ago you could say whatever racist, misogynistic, homophobic and otherwise hateful garbage you wanted to publically and in polite company. In a lot of the US that is no longer acceptable, so it has been driven underground. So haters now use the anonymity of the internet to spew what they dare not let loose in mixed company. They love the fact that no one can demand accountability for their ideas.

But I would still caution people against thinking that all the resistance to bringing the Ebola patients to the US is all coming from rabid, FOX watching Tea Baggers. It isn't. It is also coming from the organic gardening, gun control advocating couple next door. From the old lady who marched for Civil Rights in Birmingham. Fear and panic can cause ugly manifestations even in otherwise good people. That is why the antidote is always educate the public, then educate the public more.

I have to admit, I was concerned at first. If it absolutely HAD to come down to it, I WOULD say leave the workers to die rather than bring the plague to the states.

HOWEVER

After reading about the precautions which will be taken, and learning about how the virus is spread...

I recant my former statements. I realize now that it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. We can have both; we can bring them here to America WITHOUT spreading Ebola.

See, education does help some people.

I remember watching a video in school about Ebola. Has there been a cure invented since? I think the video was shot in like, 1980 something... The only cure they found at that time was to inject someone sick with the blood of someone who had previously survived Ebola for unknown reasons. It worked. I wonder if doctors were able to use the blood to create a vaccine?

The only cure they found at that time was to inject someone sick with the blood of someone who had previously survived Ebola for unknown reasons.

It's interesting you bring that up, because they actually tried that with Dr. Brantly, and it may have saved his life. Evidently there was a 14-year-old boy that he saved from ebola who donated his blood to try to save the doctor.

http://www.newsweek.com/20-year-old-ebo ... tly-262552

What?!?! People on the Internet went ballistic and are frothing in the mouth in rage at a story !? I am SHOCKED I tell you, shocked! :shock:

In the past two days, just clicking on whatever random Story popped up on my newsfeed I have seen many, many comments from people completely , incoherently, enraged at the following horrific events/people:

--- vegans!

--- the invention of a car alarm seat that let's parents know they are forgetting their baby!

--foods that are bad for you!

--people who are too fat!

--- people who are too skinny!

-- Justin Beiber!

--- Central American refuge children! ( many of which have the Ebola virus!)

---Atheists!

---Christians!

--A missing child! -FYI this rage is directed at the missing child's parents.

It isn't just that Americans, as a general group, are freaking out About these two Ebola cases, it's that some people on the Internet freak out about everything

Ok, all of these are bad, but I'm really confused about the argument for why a car seat alarm is a bad idea?

It's interesting you bring that up, because they actually tried that with Dr. Brantly, and it may have saved his life. Evidently there was a 14-year-old boy that he saved from ebola who donated his blood to try to save the doctor.

http://www.newsweek.com/20-year-old-ebo ... tly-262552

My hat is off to that 14-year-old, as well as to the aid workers who've been trying to help contain this epidemic in Sierra Leone and elsewhere.

See, I am tremendously encouraged both by the blood donation story and the news about the experimental serum that the nurse had, which seemed to make a difference in her condition. And I'm encouraged, too, that the new treatment protocols Doctors Without Borders have pushed seem to have made some difference in the current epidemic. A 60% mortality rate still stinks, but it's substantially better than the usual mortality rate.

And if that serum was a deciding factor in the nurse's recovery, I hope we're making more of it.

Ok, all of these are bad, but I'm really confused about the argument for why a car seat alarm is a bad idea?

I know, right? Especially since it was supposed to be some inspiring story about how a young teen had heard about infants dying in hot cars and actually came up with a usable device she's trying to develop to save babies -- how could people possibly think that's a bad idea?

Well apparently they can, because not just one person, but many, ranted and raved about how it's a stupid idea because obviously the only reason a child could be left in the car seat is if the parents did it intentionally or were such lazy, drugged out, worthless idiots that they didn't deserve to have children anyway. Oh, and this would also just encourage more lazy parenting and all parents suck nowadays.

The stupid just hurts.

younglivingbrunei.com/protection-airborne-ebola-outbreak-worlds-deadlist-plague/

Umm.....yeah, even if it were true that 99% of tested viruses could not survive in cinnamon oil there are two problems with this 1) I highly doubt anyone has tested this virus and it's reaction to cinnamon oil and even more of an issue 2) even if you are super duper into your essential oils, you are not going to actually BECOME cinnamon essential oil. The vast, vast majority of your body will still consist of blood and bone and flesh, etc... So, hmm....problem. Maybe slathering it on and ingesting various oils helps lower your risk of harboring various nasty organisms ( I know tea tree oil has worked on fungal infections that Ive had that didn't clear up with prescription creams ), but, seriously?

I know, right? Especially since it was supposed to be some inspiring story about how a young teen had heard about infants dying in hot cars and actually came up with a usable device she's trying to develop to save babies -- how could people possibly think that's a bad idea?

Well apparently they can, because not just one person, but many, ranted and raved about how it's a stupid idea because obviously the only reason a child could be left in the car seat is if the parents did it intentionally or were such lazy, drugged out, worthless idiots that they didn't deserve to have children anyway. Oh, and this would also just encourage more lazy parenting and all parents suck nowadays.

Ugh. My cousin's fiancé, who is a hardcore libertarian, went into a similar rant on Facebook recently about how it was "nanny-state bullshit" for auto manufacturers to voluntarily start including back-up cameras (you know, where a camera shows what's low to the ground behind you when you're going in reverse) in all vehicles in order to prevent children and pets from being accidentally run over. Because if you let your own kid get run over in an accident it just means you should never have been a parent in the first place, he thinks. I tell myself that he's still relatively young, and will hopefully grow some compassion as he ages and/or if he ever has his own kids. But yeah, sadly that sort of mindset is way too common.

The dealership where I bought my new car won't sell a car without a backup camera if the model comes with one. One of their salesmen ran over his son a few years ago. My camera has already saved a neighbor's cat. He should try one before complaining. They are wonderful in parking garages.

The dealership where I bought my new car won't sell a car without a backup camera if the model comes with one. One of their salesmen ran over his son a few years ago. My camera has already saved a neighbor's cat. He should try one before complaining. They are wonderful in parking garages.

He's a classic car fanatic who thinks anything built outside America or after 1974-ish is crap to begin with, which also informs his opinion. I agree that backup cameras are a wonderful innovation. I've only had them in rental cars and they make me very covetous.

Just read on CNN that both the doc and the nurse received the experimental serum, which seemed to have helped both of them in a fairly dramatic way. It seems doubtful that the doctor would have survived without it.

Text of article here.

No, the other oytbreaks ceased naturally because the disease is so deadly and symptoms show so quickly. This outbreak is continuing because it's significantly less deadly (only 60% compared to 90% normally). That means it's much harder to contain.

Developed nations have been helping since the beginning.

Yes, it's only one flight away, which is why they're takingthe temperature of every person trying to board a plane in the region.

If you're notterrified of them doing this, it's because you don't know enough about the disease and the history of mistakes in high containment labs.

Without giving too much away, I probably know more about this disease than anyone else on the board...

I have a question that I hope someone can either answer or point me towards an answer. If the people in the affected areas aren't willing to work with the WHO, or other health organizations, because they believe that aid workers brought Ebola there, and they're not willing to change their burial practices (which I can understand, but don't agree with) - what can realistically be done to eradicate Ebola? Is eradication even a possibility? The people of Africa obviously need the world's help in this (not being elitist - they need help!) but there needs to be more education internally as well, right?

Because only fetuses, not living, breathing children, have a right to life?

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Just read on CNN that both the doc and the nurse received the experimental serum, which seemed to have helped both of them in a fairly dramatic way. It seems doubtful that the doctor would have survived without it.

Thank you for that link, Howl. As I'd hoped, the company producing the serum just got an influx of funds that can presumably go toward producing and testing the serum.

Edited to add: Predictably, there's an argument going on in CNN's comments about the ethics of not making the serum available more broadly. I am not an FDA employee nor an expert in experimental treatments, but I imagine it's a lot easier to establish that you understand the risks of an experimental treatment when (1) you're a health care professional and (2) you're communicating in your first language.

Archived