IGNORED

Non-veteran wearing military medals

MamaJunebug

a%20joshua.jpg

I don't know if anybody else has seen/posted this. There was talk about the "stolen valor" act and consequences for folks who wear medals they didn't earn.

My guess is that since JayTeef (typo and it stays) was dressed for a reenactment film, and since he has not attempted to pass himself off as a WW2 vet,* this would not be actionable.

*Wait and see if that's the next grand idea up Dougie's sleeve.

All those VF boyz do realize there are some real wars they can go to right now if they think fighting is so awesome, right?

Guest Anonymous
a%20joshua.jpg

I don't know if anybody else has seen/posted this. There was talk about the "stolen valor" act and consequences for folks who wear medals they didn't earn.

My guess is that since JayTeef (typo and it stays) was dressed for a reenactment film, and since he has not attempted to pass himself off as a WW2 vet,* this would not be actionable.

I suspect that the old gentleman JT was talking to was too polite to either claw the medals off his uniform or ask where he got the nerve to sport ironmongery that he didn't earn.

All those VF boyz do realize there are some real wars they can go to right now if they think fighting is so awesome, right?

*snif* Oh, dear girl. Doncha know, the militaries are for those godless public school people. :o

Guest Anonymous

*snif* Oh, dear girl. Doncha know, the militaries are for those godless public school people. :o

In other words, they're endlessly generous with other people's guts.

I've been to reenactments and there are a lot of people who wear fake military medals, as well as all the war movies. I thought it was OK if it was clear that you weren't trying to present yourself as a legit veteran. My grandfather, who actually served in the military, didn't have a problem with it either, because none of these people were trying to pass it off.

Although I don't know about the VF people doing this, it just seems sketchier, somehow.

Two things. 1) The Stolen Valor Act required that you present yourself as having earned military honors that you never did. 2) It's a little moot, because the Act was found unconstitutional, as a violation of free speech.

I've been to reenactments and there are a lot of people who wear fake military medals, as well as all the war movies. I thought it was OK if it was clear that you weren't trying to present yourself as a legit veteran. My grandfather, who actually served in the military, didn't have a problem with it either, because none of these people were trying to pass it off.

Although I don't know about the VF people doing this, it just seems sketchier, somehow.

It is ok.

I am not saying I think the VF is so morally great or that they say used facts in their reenactment...but I don't think the wearing of costumes of what appears to be a correct period is the cross they should die on.

Archived