IGNORED

F*A*R*G*O*

Joan of Snarc

Anybody watchin, eh?

That Lester. And here I thought he was a nice guy. I thought he was going to kill the widow last episode! Naughty, naughty.

Officer Grimley's cute, although leaning toward incompetent. I hope he gets a redemption arc. And I ship him with Molly. Totally.

Billy Bob sure knows how to get himself some choice roles. Pretty hilarious when he walked right past those FBI guys. I liked the way they showed that shoot-'em-up where we only saw lights in the windows and heard the noise. When they shot up the poor young man with the bronzer from Always Sunny in Philadelphia I had to fast-forward. It was too much.

Otherwise, enjoying this show.

Oh ya, I like this one too, Snarky Joan. Oh that Lester. He's a quiet one, that's for sure. And yes, Gus Grimly and Molly - so cute together!

Do Minnesotians (or whatever the correct term is) really have those gorgeous accents? I just love them.

OMG, though. That snow. I just don't think I could stand it. We have nothing like that over here. I mean, we get a bit of snow on the mountains, but it's nothing compared to the snow we saw in the show...

Everytime I see Molly's dad I hear him sneer in my head "What's the psycho got in the bag, Gideon?" - a line he had a a bad guy in Criminal Minds...don't know why it sticks with me

Yes, Minnesotans have that accent. All around the upper midwest they do, really.

I'm really enjoying this show. It's quirky fun.

I too am enjoying this show. It's well written, suspenseful, funny, sad, scary, and enthralling. I can't wait for each new episode. I too am hoping for a redemption arc for Gus Grimly -- perhaps he ought to get out of law enforcement and into a career more suited to his temperament.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they're planning another season?

I really enjoyed this show, but I have a few quibbles. The supernatural stuff (rain of fish, the omen wolf) didn't seem to connect to the rest of the story, and there wasn't enough of it to feel like it was really part of that world.

The main thing that bothered me, though, was Lester following Malvo onto the elevator and forcing that confrontation. What did he think was going to happen? What did he think he was going to accomplish? I think it would have worked a lot better if he had seen Malvo in Vegas, and maybe inadvertently screwed up Malvo's hit. Then Malvo could chase him down and the rest happens the same way.

Gotta say though, the music was gorgeous.

I read that there may be a season two, but with all new characters, or just a few returning characters, but not Gus and Molly -- their story is finished. IDK; we'll see I guess. I don't see how you could set a similar high body-count story in that setting again. Part of what made it interesting was the bleak, barren setting where nothing ever happens and the police were ill-prepared for something like Malvo. It was just chance that evil showed up there.

I didn't really take the wolf to be supernatural; it reminded me of symbolism like you'd read in a short story. Malvo was a lone wolf-type predator. I think showing the wolf twice overplayed the symbolism, though, so maybe it was meant to be supernatural, IDK. Since I don't believe in the supernatural, I don't normally look there for answers. Also, it can rain fish if a water spout sucked them up and then rains them down on another location, no? Of course, why would there be a water spout in the middle of perpetual-winter Minnesota? But it was a tale of strange happenings in a strange, featureless setting, so I just went with it, I guess.

I really didn't have so much trouble believing Lester confronted Malvo in the elevator. Lester was a newly confident, changed man, with his beautiful new wife, new house, salesman of the year award, etc. He had a new swagger and he was eager to test the limits. Smart? No. Human? Yes.

I read that there may be a season two, but with all new characters, or just a few returning characters, but not Gus and Molly -- their story is finished. IDK; we'll see I guess. I don't see how you could set a similar high body-count story in that setting again. Part of what made it interesting was the bleak, barren setting where nothing ever happens and the police were ill-prepared for something like Malvo. It was just chance that evil showed up there.

I didn't really take the wolf to be supernatural; it reminded me of symbolism like you'd read in a short story. Malvo was a lone wolf-type predator. I think showing the wolf twice overplayed the symbolism, though, so maybe it was meant to be supernatural, IDK. Since I don't believe in the supernatural, I don't normally look there for answers. Also, it can rain fish if a water spout sucked them up and then rains them down on another location, no? Of course, why would there be a water spout in the middle of perpetual-winter Minnesota? But it was a tale of strange happenings in a strange, featureless setting, so I just went with it, I guess.

I really didn't have so much trouble believing Lester confronted Malvo in the elevator. Lester was a newly confident, changed man, with his beautiful new wife, new house, salesman of the year award, etc. He had a new swagger and he was eager to test the limits. Smart? No. Human? Yes.

But what was Lester hoping would happen? He confronts Malvo in the elevator and then what? Do they become BFFs? Does Malvo admit in front of those other people that he killed Sam Hess and helped Lester cover up a murder? :cray-cray:

Lester killed his wife. Malvo knows that. Why on earth would Lester force a confrontation? That can only end badly. He knows Malvo killed Sam Hess and Verne. What makes him think Malvo wouldn't kill him if he felt threatened?

At the beginning of the season I was rooting for Lester. His wife was so awful I couldn't blame him for hitting her with a hammer. And I had some residual warm feelings about Martin Freeman from The Office. I was conflicted about Molly. She was good at her job, and she was right, but I didn't want her to catch Lester.

As the season went on I lost all warm feelings for Lester and became Team Molly all the way.

I think it was a stupid impulse. He didn't think it through or know what would happen. Maybe he thought he would get the upper hand somehow. Kind of like a scrawny kid who's bullied a lot and then grows four inches over the summer and goes back to school and pokes the big kid who was bullying him. Big kid is still bigger and it doesn't end well for the scrawny kid.

I didn't really have any sympathy for Lester after he killed his wife. She may have been a shrew, but you don't kill her. Leave.

His character really went from somebody I liked and empathized with, when Hess and his wife were bullying him, to almost as evil as Malvo, the way he set up his second wife to take the Malvo hit. I think it was perhaps a statement about how a normal person has the capacity for evil, if the right circumstances present themselves for it to emerge. Malvo, on the other hand, just let his evil flag fly. Nothing hidden there.

What he did to Linda was the worst. The worst. I'm glad he got turned into a popsicle.

The bear trap was pretty clever, and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if they will do another season? Obviously, they will need a new storyline but I really did enjoy this show. I had never watched the movie until this show started- it came up while I was still on lockdown from movies.

Archived