IGNORED

Woman Reveals Why She Decided To Film Her Abortion

doggie

Pro-choicers usually cry out that people who'd get abortions at try to be responsible, which is why they get abortions instead of having kids they can't afford to raise, or don't want to. If what Emily says is true, it shows gross irresponsibility.

But the more I'm reading about her, the more I think she did this to get her name out there for acting. She's certainly come to some attention, and that can make casting directors take a closer look. Everything she's done has been for acting, then suddenly she's working at an abortion clinic counseling on birth control (what a bad clinic hiring someone with no experience in anything counsel women on anything!) while not using it herself, "randomly" taking a test and expressing some surprise that contraceptive-free sex can make a baby, then is almost giddy about having an abortion, not that she had the option or access, but to be doing it, like she's joining some cute little exclusive club.

It's far too suspicious to me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe any part of her story. Hell, I doubt she was even pregnant. As for her motive, I suspect a combination of craziness, attention seeking, and pro-life spokesperson.

It's a real facility altho why they allowed her to film it is beyond me. Unfortunately, this gal is not a sympathetic character. Had they found an older married woman who had been the victim of gang rape by a motorcycle club, then public opinion would be a whole lot different. Of course, I doubt she would have filmed it and submitted it to a contest.

What it does do is dispel the stigma that abortion is a huge involved surgery, and that every woman having one will become depressed for the rest of her life over it.

IMHO, an effective way of dispelling the myths of an early abortion would have been for the doctor to make a movie to explain what happens, how long it takes, etc. Many moons ago I was the "designated driver" for friends who had to get one. One went in at 9 am., filled out forms, paid, had a urine test, went in around 10, was in recovery at 10:15, we left around 12 got lunch on the way back to the dorm. Both were awake for it and said the actual procedure took about 2 minutes, felt like severe cramping during, but better after.The other one went in in the afternoon and was at her morning classes the next day. As I recall, they had some bad cramping afterwards, some bleeding, nothing severe, the place gave them tylenol with codeine and ergotrate .

Of course, there were protesters outside and one of them got my license plate and must have had a cop in the family because they ran it and got my home address. My mother gets a phone call asking her if she regretted killing her baby. She (no shrinking violet) demanded to know who the hell they were and what the hell they were talking about. The caller asked her if she had loaned her car to anybody lately? Did she have any daughters? Sons with girlfriends? My mother put 2+2 together but assumed it was me and really lashed out at the caller. She told her that if she or any of her group of dried up old bitches yelled at me, she'd track them down and pull every hair they had out of their freakin' head.

When I came home on vacation I noticed she was being extra nice to me and kept telling me, "You know, you are such a hard worker. I am so proud of you, there's nothing you could ever do that I would think less of you," and "You know I'm here to talk to." Finally, she tells me about the caller, I tell her what happened and we had a good laugh. My grandmother was staying with us and she had some very scary stories about pre-Roe times among immigrant women. My mothers reaction: "Was it A? Was it B?" I bet it was C, no wait, she's too smart. I bet it was D, she's a nice girl . Its always the nice ones that get knocked up. What do they charge?"

Just read the Cosmo article.

It may not be a total hoax - she uses her real name and names the clinic. If it were all fake, I'm sure that someone in her life or from the clinic would call it out. Cosmo gets enough readers that the clinic would know that this was out there.

It's still bizarre, though. There's just this level of self-absorption. She seems almost giddy about having the chance to film this, even though she says that she knew about the option of taking meds instead. There is a 1% risk of cervical trauma with the surgery that the meds option avoids. She seems more typical of YouTubers than of women who have abortions. While she says that the clinic was ultimately on board with the idea, she also seemed pretty dismissive of their safety concerns. It's one thing for her to say "bring it on" if she's only talking about her own safety, but the clinic staff and the women they serve need to be safe too.

Some YouTubers may enjoy playing the knife song or doing the cinnamon challenge, but that doesn't mean that these are good things.

I'm not saying that her decision to terminate the pregnancy was wrong. Her body, her choice. It was done at a really early stage, and she don't seem remotely mature enough to have a child. I'm saying that this video is all about her, and does absolutely nothing to help other women. It doesn't promote better birth control use, doesn't discuss Plan B, doesn't talk about safer options such as abortion via meds, and doesn't even give real information about the procedure itself. It promotes harmful stereotypes, instead of showing a broader and more realistic range of women and their reasons and experiences.

Archived