IGNORED

God closes womb; Parents rejoice?

Black Aliss

An FYI to anyone who has had a partial hysterectomy: if you still have an ovary you can still get all the menopause symptoms, it just might be harder to realize that's what's going on. Especially if the mood swings start before the hot flashes. I was a homicidal maniac bursting into random bits of rage for about a year before the hot flashes clued me in to what was going on. My symptoms were severe enough that I went for the HRT, even with some risk factors, I envy those with easy menopause!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure LL and her hubby closed their womb themselves. I could be wrong but she's mentioned a few times about the family being complete. I thought that was part of why they called him Finn?

An FYI to anyone who has had a partial hysterectomy: if you still have an ovary you can still get all the menopause symptoms, it just might be harder to realize that's what's going on. Especially if the mood swings start before the hot flashes. I was a homicidal maniac bursting into random bits of rage for about a year before the hot flashes clued me in to what was going on. My symptoms were severe enough that I went for the HRT, even with some risk factors, I envy those with easy menopause!

I joked that after my partial hysterectomy I got to blame any bad mood on PMS and nobody could prove otherwise. :lol: So far I've been fortunate, though, I've had a relatively easy time with it - mostly night sweats and night hot flashes. I had early onset menopause (started in my mid 30's) and at 45 I am just about on the other side of it. Per my last physical, one ovary is kaput and the other is on the way out.

I've been counting down the days till menopause since I was 11. 20ish more years, you guys!

I am in the 5th month of being period free and happy doesn't even begin to describe the joy that I feel. 7 more months to go! I would have loved to have had tons of kids, but my ex husband wasn't on board with it. I am debating having a teenage foster child. The last teen I had was not in the foster care system, but he lived with me and the kids for years. It was a wonderful experience and I love him like my own.

49 is pretty old to not be experiencing peri menopausal symptoms, but is still younger than the average age of menopause. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones who'll slide into menopause easily? I be more than willing to give up the hot flashes and night sweats.

One of my older sisters is 54 and is still getting regular periods like clockwork. She has no peri menopausal symptoms. The rest of us are either done or in the middle of menopause. The age doesn't mean much. We are born with all the eggs that we will have in our life. Every month the egg is disposed of during the period. No period means no egg to get rid of. The number of pregnancies and the amount of time that each child was breastfed could change the age of menopause, because those are the times that a woman is period free.

I slid gently and painlessly into menopause. I had an endometrial ablation at 45 to deal with heavy periods, and they became lighter and shorter till they disappeared. A few minor "sheet-kicking" nighttime hot flashes, and voila. Would that all women had it so easy!

One of my older sisters is 54 and is still getting regular periods like clockwork. She has no peri menopausal symptoms. The rest of us are either done or in the middle of menopause. The age doesn't mean much. We are born with all the eggs that we will have in our life. Every month the egg is disposed of during the period. No period means no egg to get rid of. The number of pregnancies and the amount of time that each child was breastfed could change the age of menopause, because those are the times that a woman is period free.

I wonder what would happen if you had constant back to back pregnancies until your uterus couldn't take it anymore, and had about 30 kids...would you still get periods at 80 cause most of your eggs haven't been used yet?

I wonder what would happen if you had constant back to back pregnancies until your uterus couldn't take it anymore, and had about 30 kids...would you still get periods at 80 cause most of your eggs haven't been used yet?

I actually asked the gyno once when a woman would go through menopause if she had 20 kids. His response was "Every woman is different." LOL He took the easy way out. lol

any insight into when this nonsense ends? I'd be giddy,too.I'm 49 and still not there yet. :( I keep reading on average ages,and thinking I must be outdoing them all.

My mother-in-law is 64, and finally going through it. "About damned time!" she said when she told us. She let her son and me know so we wouldn't worry if she gets some hormonal mood swings that aren't usual for her.

I just don want to have periods anymore... For some reason I've always felt I shouldn't be having them... Ever... Like, when it finally happened I was devastated because... I don't know why it just feels like something... Wrong, for me.

Sometimes I can skip it by not doing the placebo on my BC, but I'm a bit scared to do it too often. I wish there was a way to get rid of them entirely.

It's not harmful. Your uterus isn't thickening up and making anything to slough, so you're safe not having periods. Post menopausal women don't have periods either, and there's no danger.

It's not harmful. Your uterus isn't thickening up and making anything to slough, so you're safe not having periods. Post menopausal women don't have periods either, and there's no danger.

Then why do I have to have a period at all on BC?

My mother-in-law is 64, and finally going through it.

Oh this is gold. I have something new to torment my sister with.

Then why do I have to have a period at all on BC?

You don't. The idea that you have to have a period is from when it was thought that you needed a period each month to be healthy, and though it's known that you don't have to have them (look at women with Norplant and IUDs who don't have them for years!), there's the habit still of telling women on the pill to have a period. Some older doctors are set in their ways and still think it's healthier too. Outdated education, and continuing education credits don't require doctors to keep up to date with everything. A period on birth control pills isn't a real period as it is. It's just withdrawal bleeding from the sudden absence of the hormones. If you have a younger doctor whose medical school experience isn't from the 60's, talk to him or her and you'll find out. Your biggest problem may be getting insurance to cover more than 13 packs a year.

I had a complete hysterectomy a few years ago. I wish I could take HRT, but my gyno says the risks are way to high. Celexa and Ativan help with the moodiness (as well as symptoms from unrelated problems). The hot flashes, though are a PITA. At least I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. This may be TMI, but I still have a healthy libido and enjoy sex. I thought having a hysterectomy killed a woman's libido.

I had a complete hysterectomy a few years ago. I wish I could take HRT, but my gyno says the risks are way to high. Celexa and Ativan help with the moodiness (as well as symptoms from unrelated problems). The hot flashes, though are a PITA. At least I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. This may be TMI, but I still have a healthy libido and enjoy sex. I thought having a hysterectomy killed a woman's libido.

Not in my experience. It was actually completely the opposite since I wasn't constantly bleeding.

It would then follow that women who take birth control pills or other ovulation-halting hormonal BC for long periods of time should enter menopause later, as well, if that's the case. Now I'm curious if that's been studied. To Google!

I've always heard that menopause timing is more hereditary than anything. That could be wrong of course. I don't think the number of pregnancies has much to do with it from what I've heard.

It would then follow that women who take birth control pills or other ovulation-halting hormonal BC for long periods of time should enter menopause later, as well, if that's the case. Now I'm curious if that's been studied. To Google!

I am also curious (and avoiding studying for an exam, whoo) so... surprisingly, the Oxford Journal says they saw an earlier age of onset for menopause for contraceptive-users, but then cited three other articles that opposed it. I don't think it's behind a paywall!

aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/153/9/865.full

I don't have the slightest idea. They don't study women's issues as much as they should. And menopause is practically forgotten about when it comes to studies.

You don't. The idea that you have to have a period is from when it was thought that you needed a period each month to be healthy, and though it's known that you don't have to have them (look at women with Norplant and IUDs who don't have them for years!), there's the habit still of telling women on the pill to have a period. Some older doctors are set in their ways and still think it's healthier too. Outdated education, and continuing education credits don't require doctors to keep up to date with everything. A period on birth control pills isn't a real period as it is. It's just withdrawal bleeding from the sudden absence of the hormones. If you have a younger doctor whose medical school experience isn't from the 60's, talk to him or her and you'll find out. Your biggest problem may be getting insurance to cover more than 13 packs a year.

Hmm, true, and I lose insurance this year... And obamacare is just one more thing I can't afford. Sigh.

I just... Wanna stop having my period and frankly I'm going to find some way or another to do it at some point, but I'd like to go the healthier doctor approved route first.

I just don want to have periods anymore... For some reason I've always felt I shouldn't be having them... Ever... Like, when it finally happened I was devastated because... I don't know why it just feels like something... Wrong, for me.

Sometimes I can skip it by not doing the placebo on my BC, but I'm a bit scared to do it too often. I wish there was a way to get rid of them entirely.

I haven't had a period in years and my doctor has no problem with it. I just skip the placebos each month.

that's interesting.I had always read bf that the pill/hormonal bc made no difference as far as when meno occurs,as the eggs themselves still age at the same rate,and hormones don't slow that process down.

In lots of countries (including here) the pill doesn't come with placebos to take.

It was thought at the time that birth control would be more acceptable if women still had periods while on them, that it would seem more natural somehow. Birthcontrol is more effective if you take it every day without taking a week off to have a withdrawal bleed (it's not a period). We were definitely taught (in medical school) that you tell the patient (when prescribing the pill) that if they want they can take it continuously. And even suggest it if they have endometriosis or pain or whatever. There is a slightly higher chance of spotting if you do this for a long time. But it should be up to the person taking the pill to decide what they want to do.

Do your packs come in single months then if you have to buy 13 packs a year? Ours come in boxes of 3, 6 or 13 strips, usually the doctor prescipes a 3 strip one the first time/when you've changed brands, and if that works out a 13 box one. But nobody would notice if you had more than that a year. Which I'm really happy about.

I just... Wanna stop having my period and frankly I'm going to find some way or another to do it at some point, but I'd like to go the healthier doctor approved route first.

I'd say your three best options short of a hysterectomy are (in order of cost, invasiveness and duration):

- BC pills continuously as described upthread

- Mirena IUD: Doesn't always stop periods completely but they're usually lighter and less frequent, reversible whenever you'd like.

- Uterine Ablation: Permanent in that you're no longer able to carry a child to term, but you still have to take BC if necessary to prevent pregnancy since you can GET pregnant and it might be dangerous. Again, no guarantee that you'll stop having periods completely, but many women do and those that don't generally have shorter, lighter, less frequent periods.

Archived