IGNORED

Hit 'em again, hit 'em again- Harder, Harder!

salex

Well, it looks like even though the "Let's make being bigoted against gays a protected religions right" probably won't make it through the Kansas Senate (it did make it through the house) the nuttiness isn't over.

Apparently a state rep wants to pass a low that allows parents to give permssion to teachrs and caregivers to spank more and harder than is now allowed, allowing bruising.

It may not pass out of committee, but I am stunned this is even something they are talking about.

gailfinney.com/meet-gail.html

.kwch.com/news/local-news/bill-would-allow-teachers-caregivers-to-spank/24528116?ver=125

Rep. Gail Finney, D-Wichita, introduced the bill via McPherson Deputy County Attorney Britt Colle.

"This bill basically defines a spanking along with necessary reasonable physical restraint that goes with discipline, all of which has always been legal," Colle said. "This bill clarifies what parents can and cannot do. By defining what is legal, it also defines what is not."

KCTV reports it would expand the current law, which allows spanking without leaving marks. If Finney's bill passes, it would allow up to 10 strikes of the hand and smacks hard enough to leave redness and bruising.

The proposed bill suggests lightening the spanking laws, allowing parents or anyone given permission by a parent, to spank hard enough to leave redness or bruising.

Colle said the bill makes it clear that hitting a child with fists, hitting a child in the head or body, or hitting a child with a belt or switch is not legal discipline and may be considered battery or abuse.

What is the point of this? Why do some parents cling so hard to the idea of corporeal punishment? I just don't understand this mentality. :cray-cray:

I agree, what is the point? The laws in my state are similar, yet my parents did all of these things--more than 10 strikes, hard enough to leave redness or bruising, hitting with fists, hitting in the head or body, hitting with a belt or switch--but like most kids, most of our corporal punishment occurred in the home or in private, so there would have been very little chance this law could have been enforced. Even if accused, it's so easy for adults to conceal or lie about what happened. I guess it's possible this could rein in some of the more harsh school discipline policies?

What is the point of this? Why do some parents cling so hard to the idea of corporeal punishment? I just don't understand this mentality. :cray-cray:

Because it makes them feel like they are the boss.

Oh yes, my dad totally would have counted ten spanks and then stopped. Umm no. He spanked me when I was three and would not stop til I cried. I didn't cry.

I don't remember this, he just tells the story sometimes.

My point is, no matter what laws you implement about spanking, people are gonna do it anyway. Just do away with it completely. Make it illegal. It won't stop people like my dad maybe, but those people could get in trouble for it, which might stop others.

I don't think the US is at a point where all corporeal punishment will be outlawed...though I am still stunned that a number of schools/districts/states don't have a law forbidding such in a classroom or school. It's been outlawed in my state, in redneckville and Appalachian hillbilly and Bible Belt USA, use of corporeal punishment in schools is illegal.

People say a lot of bad about my home state, but it's way ahead of others in many areas.

I can't imagine going to school and having to deal with the stress of possibly being hit by the teacher/principal in addition to all the normal stresses of school. This needs to be banned already.

I can't imagine going to school and having to deal with the stress of possibly being hit by the teacher/principal in addition to all the normal stresses of school. This needs to be banned already.

Agree!

Positive attitudes toward corporal punishment are so entrenched in the US...I am a CPS caseworker, and just last week a coworker described how, in one client's home, she felt that the kids needed to be physically disciplined because nothing else was working. Of course, she also gave the caveat that she didn't mention that because you can't use physical discipline on kids in custody, etc., etc., but I am continually disturbed by how many of my coworkers think the same way.

This is gross. I'm concerned about any adult who is so interested in hitting children that they want to make laws that allow them to do it harder. I would never let someone like that around my children- who knows what they're thinking? Any adult who is gleeful about spanking kids is a predator in my book, sorry not sorry.

I can't believe corporal punishment is still in schools in the US full stop. It was long gone in New Zealand by the time I attended school, and I'm pretty sure it was gone before my parents started teaching (in the early 70s).

I also can't believe (as a parent) that someone is happy to have someone else hit their child, regardless of how hard.

Positive attitudes toward corporal punishment are so entrenched in the US...

There are areas in which the use of corporal punishment is viewed as proof that one is a good parent.

Back in the '70s, here in Connecticut, there was an article about two local men who had committed murder during an armored car heist. In it, a neighbor expressed surprise that one of the men was a criminal: "He and his wife were good parents. They hit their kids." Right hand to God. I wondered how on earth "hitting kids" automatically qualified one as a "good parent."

Archived