IGNORED

Why fundie's strict gender roles don't make sense

SpeakNow

Ironically enough, a fundie friend of mine posted that to Facebook. Apparently it's okay if the dolls look like real babies, or something. I don't know, all the fundies I know just confuse me.

Haha, on this subject, I collect American Girl dolls, which are also "play" dolls, so the collector board I am on has a large population of parents (mostly moms) whose kids are into the dolls. It drives me crazy when out of nowhere, one of the moms will pipe in about their sons, but have to add a justification like "I know it will help him be a good father and I don't think it will turn him gay." Or worse, noting that her husband gave "permission" to let their son play with dolls. WTF. It's just a toy!!!! Maybe there are people IRL who will comment rudely about a boy playing with dolls and saying "He'll be a great father someday!" is a good comeback, but the "it's not going to turn him gay!" just kinda... implies that you think being gay is bad.

I think policing kids' toys based on gender roles is ridiculous and it's better to offer a variety and let them just follow their interests. My younger brother and sister were both had dolls when they were younger because I had dolls, so it looked like a cool-older-sister thing and was a way for us all to play together.

Ha! My sons cuddle their baby doll just like their teddy bears and their t-rex. I find it so incredibly hard to believe someone would be shocked at a tiny little boy being nurturing. Especially when they spend all day with MOM (in the majority of fundy world I assume).

As for the turn him gay thing... what exactly is their image of gay men? Do they play with dolls? I thought they figured it was all buttsex and leather pants not feeding their baby dolls.

Don't be silly! Fathers aren't supposed to touch their children, they just pay for them.

I think policing kids' toys based on gender roles is ridiculous and it's better to offer a variety and let them just follow their interests. My younger brother and sister were both had dolls when they were younger because I had dolls, so it looked like a cool-older-sister thing and was a way for us all to play together.

This is a major pet peeve of mine, the gender segregated toys that saturate the market these days. Back when we were growing up, there were plenty of gender neutral toys, including Legos and even bikes. Fortunately, my niece is being raised with the idea that she can play with whatever toys she likes, even if they're not Pepto Bismol pink. She's still very much a girl even if she plays with Disney's Cars toys or her uncle's Ninja Turtles. She said that for her birthday, she wants her own Ninja Turtles toys.

These are the same people who have the fathers "babysit" their own kids. They aren't supposed to be hands on fathers until its time to teach the boys "manly things" like hunting and shaving.

Don't be silly! Fathers aren't supposed to touch their children, they just pay for them.

I guess that's why they have to use plumbing line and not their hands to beat the crap out of them

Archived