IGNORED

Women that have abortions...

slh12280

So my mom has a fundie friend she met at a Baptist church many years ago. Seemed like a nice person but as of recent we have started to get more into some of her views. Apparently, they got into a discussion and somehow Planned Parenthood came up. My mother, who still thinks abortion is wrong, was standing up for them saying that they do good things for a lot of women. Her friend went ballistic. She said: "Abortion is murder!" "They should shut down every abortion clinic in the country!" and the kicker: "When women seek out illegal abortions and they die they deserve what they get!" :evil:

Of course, she is against comprehensive sex ed, contraceptive access, and programs that would actually help women. I never used to understand why some people said the "pro life" movement was sexist. I grew up with pro life beliefs and considered myself strongly pro life for most of my life. Then I realized that these types of groups are pro birth not pro life. Hello!! Banning abortion doesn't make it go away just makes it unsafe!! Women have needs and every situation is different. Politically, I am pro choice despite the fact that it makes me uncomfortable. Women aren't freaking disposable! Way to care about women. But it did remind me to give my donation to Planned Parenthood.

Good for you, slh12280!

This woman needs to see Hillary Clinton explaining to Rep. Chris Smith exactly why abortion needs to considered part of women's basic health care. Her explanation is just brilliant.

On TWOP, someone posted something interesting, namely that according to her own logic, Michelle is guilty of the murder of J'Caleb because she was taking the pill. Since JB campaigned on a total anti-abortion platform, would he have put women like Michelle in prison? Would he be an accessory to a crime because he knew she was taking the pill, but didn't stop her?

Planned Parenthood provides a lot of services besides abortions, many of which (contraception!) reduce the need for abortions.

Also don't they give them (contraception) at a reduced cost?

If I remember correctly, out of all the services Planned Parenthood provides, abortion is maybe 5% of what they do (don't quote me though!). Whatever the exact number was, though, it was very low. I recently went there for my annual pap as I don't have a regular doc in my area yet, and they were so nice and warm and the doctor was very informative. I don't think the one I went to even provides abortion services. So this whole Planned Parenthood = Abortion is so silly to me. Every time I hear it I just want to shake the person. They do so much and a lot of times for a very low cost or even free.

What is Planned Parenthood ?

We have something who seems to be the same here. "Family Planning". They distribute information about contraception. They have partnerships with public schools and colleges : for students whose parents refuse to provide contraception, college say "yeah, the students is here today !" but during the day, the students goes to Family Planning visit a doctor, receive a contraception, or having an abortion ( but for abortion, he needs someone above 18 yo...). They are great, I went when I was in high school for the pill, and they were really good when I had an abortion. It's free and anonymous. They also give advice, they have family counselors, so I was wondering if it was not the same. I often hear on American pro choice websites about Planned Parenthood, and never really understood what it is.

What is Planned Parenthood ?

We have something who seems to be the same here. "Family Planning". They distribute information about contraception. They have partnerships with public schools and colleges : for students whose parents refuse to provide contraception, college say "yeah, the students is here today !" but during the day, the students goes to Family Planning visit a doctor, receive a contraception, or having an abortion ( but for abortion, he needs someone above 18 yo...). They are great, I went when I was in high school for the pill, and they were really good when I had an abortion. It's free and anonymous. They also give advice, they have family counselors, so I was wondering if it was not the same. I often hear on American pro choice websites about Planned Parenthood, and never really understood what it is.

Sounds like basically the same thing. Planned Parenthood is a network of clinics across the U.S. That provides birth control, abortion and a variety of other health services, depending on location. The are a non- profit and receive their funding through a combination of donations, government contracts and foundation grants. Services might be free, or a fee might be charged depending on the location and service. In the United States many things vary by state, so, for example, my state provides free birth control to minors through a state funded program that Plannned Parenthood contracts with, but this is not the same for all states.

So I am guessing that " college" covers a different stage of Education in France? In the United States people in college would generally be adults.

Thank you very much for the answer, so it's almost the same thing.

and yes, "collège" is for students aged 11 to 15 (just before high school), thank you for the information ;)

Abortion only accounts for 3% of Planned Parenthood's services, and most Planned Parenthood clinics don't offer abortion.

The other 97% consists of Pap smears, birth control (often free or at reduced cost), STI testing and treatment, pregnancy testing, prenatal care, breast exams, and treatment for UTIs.

Also don't they give them (contraception) at a reduced cost?

They do all care and treatment on a sliding scale. Abnormal pap and no nsurance? P P will treat you without sending you bankrupt.

PP has detected per cancerous cells during three of my friends pap smears, then they did further testing, then they removed them. Repeatedly. For free. They are literally saving lives. They give contraception to all the teen and poor women that conservatives don't think should be having babies in the first place. Preventing abortions.

I went to my local Planned Parenthood when I needed birth control. It was a very good experience and I always felt like I was free to make my own choices about what I wanted. They just gave me the information and I decided. They even inquired about my emotional health and safety, which I feel a lot of providers don't do. Thankfully, the insurance I am under covers the full cost of contraception so I only had to pay a co pay of $30 for the visit. I realize that not all women are fortunate enough to have this and birth control can run them big money. I don't have much money and there is no way I could afford an extra $100/month if I lived completely on my own. How would these people expect me to afford a baby???

I had a good experience at a PP as well.They didn't even do abortions,and they did the most patient teaching I have ever had.No other dr,not even a private one,has spent that much time w me,going over every little thing and taking the time to answer all my q's thoughrouly.(sp).

I was only working PT at the time. I was only charged 1/2 price,as I had no ins. so that was great. :) This was way back in 1984,when I was just 19 yrs old,but I was really impressed w PP and never forgot how well they treated me.

It really ticks me off when ppl put down PP without even knowing anything abt how they really operate,and just talk off the top of their head.I have set more than one person straight on the matter.It's always the pro-lifers who talk trash abt them,right off the top of their little pointy heads.

PP has detected per cancerous cells during three of my friends pap smears, then they did further testing, then they removed them. Repeatedly. For free. They are literally saving lives. They give contraception to all the teen and poor women that conservatives don't think should be having babies in the first place. Preventing abortions.

For a second I thought you were talking about PP, the Pissing Preacher :? :lol:

Planned Parenthood even treated an aunt of mine for some gynecological condition that her health insurance wouldn't cover. This was after she was married and had my cousin, but the health issue had nothing to do with getting an abortion or contraception.

Lol! I think THE pp would think those whores deserved cancer.

They give contraception to all the teen and poor women that conservatives don't think should be having babies in the first place. Preventing abortions.

Of course, conservatives believe teens shouldn't be having *sex*... :roll:

X2. :lol:

The fundies in my family don't care about stats. The fact that they do perform abortions outweighs all of the other service they provide. This lead to a heated FB debate in which I un-friended their sorry asses. I don't tolerate people shitting on my carpet.

It doesn't matter how much Planned Parenthood provides abortions, because abortion isn't wrong. I think it's quite a cop-out to basically say that, "Yeah, of course abortion is wrong, but Planned Parenthood does other things too that aren't wrong!" You'll never convince anyone of that if they truly believe that abortion is wrong in the first place.

Planned Parenthood is an extension of Margaret Sanger's American Birth Control League. But strange while Republicans are complaining about abortions, none of them have done anything about it. They don't know Sanger was Rep herself and supported birth control.

not to mention,republicans ruled the house and senate for the greater part of the 90's,yet made NO moves at all against abortion.

fundies and conservatives alike enjoy 'forgetting' that fact,and acting instead like it's all the democrats fault.

repubs basically have the same agenda,they just won't admit it.

abortion will change ONLY if they need the sound of more little pitter patting taxpayer's feet.

they would lose their base of pro-life supporters if abortion was ever made completely illegal.in fact I think the whole rebubilcan party would fall.

better just to blame the liberals and do nothing,all the while complaining how it's their fault.

not to mention,republicans ruled the house and senate for the greater part of the 90's,yet made NO moves at all against abortion.

fundies and conservatives alike enjoy 'forgetting' that fact,and acting instead like it's all the democrats fault.

repubs basically have the same agenda,they just won't admit it.

abortion will change ONLY if they need the sound of more little pitter patting taxpayer's feet.

they would lose their base of pro-life supporters if abortion was ever made completely illegal.in fact I think the whole rebubilcan party would fall.

better just to blame the liberals and do nothing,all the while complaining how it's their fault.

You know this whole: "vote for us cause we are going to overturn Roe v Wade" thing is just a political ploy only I feel like so many conservatives don't get that. A way to keep the votes rolling in, knowing full well that it's never going to happen. I understand some people consider abortion wrong or have their misgivings depending on a lot of factors, as do I but abortion will never go away even if you could convince everyone to be celibate until marriage. Rape and health complications will still exist. Plus, marriage doesn't make you ready for a child. But I guess these would be their situations where women would be expected to be "sacrificial"

It doesn't matter how much Planned Parenthood provides abortions, because abortion isn't wrong. I think it's quite a cop-out to basically say that, "Yeah, of course abortion is wrong, but Planned Parenthood does other things too that aren't wrong!" You'll never convince anyone of that if they truly believe that abortion is wrong in the first place.

I agree with the bolded. Abortion isn't wrong. Trying to talk to anti-choicers about the other medical services PP offers is like beating a dead horse. They never have, and never will listen.

You know this whole: "vote for us cause we are going to overturn Roe v Wade" thing is just a political ploy only I feel like so many conservatives don't get that. A way to keep the votes rolling in, knowing full well that it's never going to happen. I understand some people consider abortion wrong or have their misgivings depending on a lot of factors, as do I but abortion will never go away even if you could convince everyone to be celibate until marriage. Rape and health complications will still exist. Plus, marriage doesn't make you ready for a child. But I guess these would be their situations where women would be expected to be "sacrificial"

To my knowledge, the only way Roe v. Wade could be overturned would be for a court case to come before the Supreme Court that could prove that abortion has infringed upon the plantiff's civil rights. Just stacking Congress with Republicans isn't enough. Even if Roe v. Wade was overturned, most states would still keep abortion legal, because all Roe v. Wade does is prevent federal bans on abortion.

Archived