IGNORED

Food Snobbery

Becoming_Me

I am not a picky eater at all but I do draw some lines.

I am completely snobbish about using pepper. It must be black and ground from a pepper mill onto my food from peppercorns. Nothing else will do, I am afraid. When I eat where there are no pepper mills (how tragic) I won't use pepper at all.

English muffins are also a weakness. I used to eat them all the time, whatever the brand, I would just pop then into the toaster and eat with butter and jam. But when I started making homemade English muffins it totally rocked my toasted English muffin world. Now I only eat them when they are fresh from the oven, it would defile my conscience to eat them any other way!

My mum's like you with salt. She discovered sea salt back in the mists of time and now IT HAS TO BE SEA SALT OR NO SALT AT ALL :lol: With one of those grindy things.

I won't eat a burger from a burger stall because those things are like e.coli in a bun, but that's about as fussy as I get.

I have a thing about take out food on public transportation. Whenever someone brings a bag of fast food onto the train, the smell makes me gag. Kind of weird, because if I went into the same restaurant that food came in from it wouldn't have that affect on me.

I also won't eat baked treats/pastries from the grocery store. Either it has to be homemade or from a bakery. It's not worth the extra calories for something that is just "meh."

Oh, and I'm a peanut butter snob...all natural stuff for me.

if you are a pepper snob you better try some tellicherry peppercorns or even better the extra bold telecherry peppercorns

penzys is usually the best place to get it this people has so much flavor.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/ ... corns.html

That looks awesome but it might end up making me even more of a snob. Then I will have to bring a pepper mill with extra bold tellicherry peppercorns everywhere I go.

Their cumin looks great too, but Iranian cumin (which sounds super intriguing) is not available because of the trade ban.

Greek oregano. As in the stuff either I or a friend/relative has wild harvested in Greece. There is no substitute on feta cheese, Greek salads, or meatballs.

I've mostly given up on pre-made cornstarch puddings (for those of you in the UK, I mean custard), especially the chocolate variety. Because The Partner is an amateur chocolatier, we've always got very good chocolate and cocoa powder on hand. So if I go out and get some milk, I can make some pudding that I'll like much better.

And I don't like sugar in my peanut butter, which de facto means buying the expensive stuff.

Greek oregano. As in the stuff either I or a friend/relative has wild harvested in Greece. There is no substitute on feta cheese, Greek salads, or meatballs.

Yes! My mum would agree with you there too, she's been on holiday in Greece and says "The food just tastes so different. It's fantastic." She's right, and it can't be replicated anywhere else.

I've thought of another one I'm snobby about - wasabi. Real wasabi tastes very different from the green sludge you get in tubes. It's not just tinted horseradish.

Celtic gray sea salt. I could never go back to regular table salt; this stuff is so good.

celtic-salt-Coarse-Grey-salt_zpsb9166b19.jpg

Also can't drink a cheap/bad cup of coffee. I'd rather not have any if it's not quality.

Somewhere along the line, I got to the point where I really can't stand anything but pure, real maple syrup. Preferably Grade B. :) I hate "pancake syrup" - which is really just high-fructose corn syrup with fake maple flavoring. I don't know how people can consume the stuff without retching.

I just decided this to be the perfect thread to share my joy with the world: THE FAMILY NYM MADE IT FINALLY ON THE "BEEF LIST" (of our desired local farmer, we waited one and a half year to get on the supersecret costumer list - I cried when I finally got the call, I BS you not)

:animals-cow: :music-rockon: :animals-cow: It´s a christmas miracle, people...it really is!

Got to have Butter. Real butter. Not margarine in any form.

Coffee. Good coffee.

Romaine, butter, red leaf...I hate ice berg lettuce.

Looks like we have the same taste in food! Last summer I was helping a cousin cook for a party. I had everything I needed to bring ready except half way there I remembered I forgotten butter. I only needed a couple of tablespoons so I called and asked if he had any. He replied that he had I can't believe it's not butter. I told him I can. He asked if I could work with it and I said no, I CAN believe it's not butter so I'm stopping by the grocery store to pick some up.

Time to be a bacon snob. This is so good the smoke smell and flavor are incredible. salty though since it is cured and needs no refrigeration. This is one of the best bacons I have had

49662214-E49A-48EC-8C03-1410CB9C0F63_zpsyyymhe3w.jpg

Looks like we have the same taste in food! Last summer I was helping a cousin cook for a party. I had everything I needed to bring ready except half way there I remembered I forgotten butter. I only needed a couple of tablespoons so I called and asked if he had any. He replied that he had I can't believe it's not butter. I told him I can. He asked if I could work with it and I said no, I CAN believe it's not butter so I'm stopping by the grocery store to pick some up.

I just love the margarine that doesn't have to be refrigerated - ICK! You are eating plastic, not butter.

Archived