IGNORED

Server denied a tip because she's gay - Lie/Fired - Merge

Flossie

I just hope no one uses this as an example of why people who are gay are supposedly "bad". And I think there is already a thread about this in Wide World of Snark.

I hate this story so much because this is exactly what a lot of people are doing. Every time I've read the comments on an article about this there have been a bunch about how gay people just like to play the role of victims, etc. etc.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate this story so much because this is exactly what a lot of people are doing. Every time I've read the comments on an article about this there have been a bunch about how gay people just like to play the role of victims, etc. etc.

Whereas it seems this one person has staged a lot of different hoaxes with a lot of different personas. Like pennmommy/Ruth/&c., but nobody took from that that straight ladies are all liars!

I'm right there with you. I waitressed. I lived on tips. So, yeah, I do not eat in a restaurant if I can't tip at least 20%. That's my personal choice. I do have to leave the tip when dining with certain friends and family members. I've just accepted that not everyone tips like I do. It makes *me* feel good to leave a generous tip for the server. It's my way of saying, "I know your job sucks sometimes. Hang in there."

As for the server who lied about the note on the CC receipt, I have no idea why she did it. The couple in question left her a tip. If they said something that pissed her off or she just didn't like them, that's no excuse for slandering/libeling them. She's opened herself up for a lawsuit. Good luck to her finding another job.

We went out to eat, semi-unplanned, at a buffet type place about three weeks ago. I know a lot of people don't tip at buffets, but we always do, assuming there is an actual service person that has done something (get us drinks/clear plates etc). When it came time to leave the tip, my husband realized he didn't have enough to leave as much as we'd normally tip. We eat there semi-regularly and have had the same server before, so I felt bad that the tip would be lower than normal, but there was nothing we could really do about it at that point.

Last week, we ended up going back to that same place (planned). We always try to sit in the same place so my wheelchair is out of the high traffic areas and got the same server, as a result. When we were getting ready to leave, it dawned on me that I wasn't sure if the busboys pick up tips or tips are split or how exactly they work, so we left the regular tip on the table and then I called the server over and handed her the balance of the tip we would have left the last time we were there, explaining what it was for.

I was happy to be able to "right" the short tip because I have been a waitress many times and know how much it sucks to have to live on tips.

Is it really still only $2.13 for servers? It's been 18 or so years since I last waitressed, if my math is correct and I think I was getting $2.10 then.

We went out to eat, semi-unplanned, at a buffet type place about three weeks ago. I know a lot of people don't tip at buffets, but we always do, assuming there is an actual service person that has done something (get us drinks/clear plates etc). When it came time to leave the tip, my husband realized he didn't have enough to leave as much as we'd normally tip. We eat there semi-regularly and have had the same server before, so I felt bad that the tip would be lower than normal, but there was nothing we could really do about it at that point.

Last week, we ended up going back to that same place (planned). We always try to sit in the same place so my wheelchair is out of the high traffic areas and got the same server, as a result. When we were getting ready to leave, it dawned on me that I wasn't sure if the busboys pick up tips or tips are split or how exactly they work, so we left the regular tip on the table and then I called the server over and handed her the balance of the tip we would have left the last time we were there, explaining what it was for.

I was happy to be able to "right" the short tip because I have been a waitress many times and know how much it sucks to have to live on tips.

Is it really still only $2.13 for servers? It's been 18 or so years since I last waitressed, if my math is correct and I think I was getting $2.10 then.

In most states, it's $2.13, plus tips. Some states pay higher or even minimum wage plus tips.

It hasn't increased since 1991. Thanks, Herman Cain. (Although some states do require restaurants to pay the full federal minimum wage. And, amazingly, restaurants still exist in those states.)

Archived