IGNORED

"Texts from my homophobic mother"

Minerva

I just found this via Feministing. This person grew tired of their mother's homophobic, transphobic and racist tirades, so they started posting them online. The Fred Phelps profile pic is fitting. Be forewarned: the page contains extremely hateful language.

homophobicmom.tumblr.com/

The blog is brand new, so time will tell how the mother reacts to her words being made public. I wonder if her identity will ever be leaked. I imagine her friends, co-workers and boss don't know that she's this hateful in private.

The font hurts my eyes! I couldn't read much of it... and I'm not sure I believe it either. I'm a skeptic.

It occurred to me, too, that it might be fake. I decided not to mention it in my initial post and just see if anyone else thought the same, but it seems too...convenient that the first person with homophobic parents to have this idea has such shockingly, attention-grabbingly homophobic parents. On the other hand, there are people like that, and the texts seem to be the result of occasional flip-outs as opposed to the mother's regular dialogue, going by the author's claim that the 12 convos happened throughout the past months. I'm suspending my judgement until the blog is older and has more posts.

I too wonder if it's fake. The mother tells him she doesn't want to see him, to stay away from them, he's only welcome if he "brings a girl", but continues to text?

If he's real, I give him all kinds of credit for remaining so calm and rational in his responses.

It occurred to me, too, that it might be fake. I decided not to mention it in my initial post and just see if anyone else thought the same, but it seems too...convenient that the first person with homophobic parents to have this idea has such shockingly, attention-grabbingly homophobic parents. On the other hand, there are people like that, and the texts seem to be the result of occasional flip-outs as opposed to the mother's regular dialogue, going by the author's claim that the 12 convos happened throughout the past months. I'm suspending my judgement until the blog is older and has more posts.

I dunno. My narcissistic mother used to have similar flip outs, in my case not homophobic but about needing therapy, but no one ever knew it or believed me. She only shared when no one else could overhear. The difference being that I didn't have any way of recording her statements like this. So while it might be, and waiting until it's older is probably a good idea, I could see this from a narcissistic with a thick side of homophobia.

I dunno. My narcissistic mother used to have similar flip outs, in my case not homophobic but about needing therapy, but no one ever knew it or believed me. She only shared when no one else could overhear. The difference being that I didn't have any way of recording her statements like this. So while it might be, and waiting until it's older is probably a good idea, I could see this from a narcissistic with a thick side of homophobia.

That was pretty much my mom, too. She'd say horrible things in her freakouts, then you were supposed to go on afterwards like it never happened. Ditto on no one believing it.

I just found this via Feministing. This person grew tired of their mother's homophobic, transphobic and racist tirades, so they started posting them online. The Fred Phelps profile pic is fitting. Be forewarned: the page contains extremely hateful language.

homophobicmom.tumblr.com/

The blog is brand new, so time will tell how the mother reacts to her words being made public. I wonder if her identity will ever be leaked. I imagine her friends, co-workers and boss don't know that she's this hateful in private.

As a mother, and a human, I cannot fathom having that kind of hatred for anyone. I don't even hate that horrid bigoted mother that much. What a waste that she was able to have a child.

The fact that he references AU makes me believe it's real - American is one of the most welcoming & supportive schools for LGBTQ youth, down to gender reassignment therapy being covered by student health plans, so I can definitely see how four years there gave him the courage to come out. I'm proud to be an alum!

I think at some point if I were that person I would just stop talking to my mom rather than try to change her mind. I'd rather have no relationship with her than a toxic one. and maybe after a cooling off period she might realize that she'd rather have a gay child in her life than an estranged kid who is not.

What grown woman texts like that? Half the "texts" don't even make sense. They are just a bunch of homophobic words strung together. This has bored teenager written all over it.

While this could be a hoax, go to rr-bb.com. It's Rapture Ready's message board. Look up "homosexual" or "gay" and see the sort of hateful, ignorant nonsense they spew on a regular basis and keep in mind a lot of the posters have gay family members, including children. Any of them could be the subject of this blog.

So while this particular blog may not be real, there surely are parents spewing this sewage at their children as we type.

I think the tumblr is fake. If this person has the balls to post the texts online, why not give context and other identifying information? It's just some random text messages to get blog readers riled up.

I'll say this, I have a tumblr dedicated to the purely batty things my mother says. They're not as hateful (though I can very easily believe these are real, just from the things she's said), but they can be homophobic when they're not being totally absurd.

I'll say this, I have a tumblr dedicated to the purely batty things my mother says. They're not as hateful (though I can very easily believe these are real, just from the things she's said), but they can be homophobic when they're not being totally absurd.

Hmmm, I should do this.

I could see a crazy mom doing this. What I don't understand is why he bothers to continue to respond to her.

Hmmm, I should do this.

I could see a crazy mom doing this. What I don't understand is why he bothers to continue to respond to her.

Same. There's a point where you just have to cut someone out of your life - or at least refuse to engage while they're being inappropriate. It can feel satisfying in the short term to argue with that kind of person, but in the long term, it's better if it stops.

The fact that he references AU makes me believe it's real - American is one of the most welcoming & supportive schools for LGBTQ youth, down to gender reassignment therapy being covered by student health plans, so I can definitely see how four years there gave him the courage to come out. I'm proud to be an alum!

I didn't know that about American, but that's super excellent of them. I assumed AU=Auburn University, only because it's more local and what I hear more often. Is it clearer in a different text which university AU refers to?

I also suspect it's fake, but it's a believable kind of fake.

Same. There's a point where you just have to cut someone out of your life - or at least refuse to engage while they're being inappropriate. It can feel satisfying in the short term to argue with that kind of person, but in the long term, it's better if it stops.

It's hard to cut people out, even just to learn to disengage. Some people never learn to do this. To make matters worse, people with normal (or somewhat less toxic) families will really get on your case about cutting people out of your life. So even if you get the courage to cut someone out, you can guarantee at least one or two friends reaming you out over your decision. I wouldn't question that angle of the tumblr.

I just looked through all that and was so proud to see that I am a graduate of the gay-factory that is AU! My dad almost wanted me to leave American because he thought it was turning me into a communist, I should show him this.

Archived