IGNORED

Wrap Your Frozen Meatballs in Canned Biscuits

nelliebelle1197

The canned dough they sell in Canada is a wee bit sweet but it is not cake and tastes more like (in a chemically way) like a challah bread. Alfredo sauce is mostly cream and butter with parmesan and some garlic so not quite just butter and parmesan.

I have to agree I'm not tempted to eat what she has made but I have to admit that when I first had biscuits and sausage and gravy made by a woman who was an excellent southern cook - it was a taste epiphany and I refused to leave her house until she had taught me how she made it.

Fettuccine Alfredo is a pasta dish made from fettuccine pasta tossed with Parmesan cheese and butter.[1] As the cheese melts, it emulsifies the liquids to form a smooth and rich coating on the pasta. It was named by an Italian restaurateur, Alfredo Di Lelio, at his restaurant Alfredo on the Via della Scrofa in Rome in 1914. Di Lelio sold the restaurant in 1943, and opened another in 1950 at Piazza Augusto Imperatore, at first called "L'Originale Alfredo" and now "Il Vero Alfredo"; his nephews now manage it.

The name "fettuccine Alfredo" is largely unknown and unused in Italy, although pasta with butter and cheese ("fettuccine burro e parmigiano" or "in bianco") is common.

But hey you have no idea how many bastardisations I've used for a simple Carbonara :lol:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I make frozen meatballs in BBQ sauce sometimes or frozen meatballs and put them on sub bread with some daiya cheese melted on top. I like Ragu sauces and add some too at times. However, that type of meal is for me, a single person,....

Totally! My go-to dinner this week has been frozen meatballs, pasta sauce, and cheese on bread I bought from the bakery. It takes less than 10 minutes to assemble.

I feel like if I invite someone over for dinner, and I don't specify we're having pizza or something, I'm implying that I'm going to spend some time in the kitchen and make real food.

OK, This is making my grandmother roll over in her grave and the southern girl in me shudder. It looks like a slapped together Yankified version of biscuits and sausage gravy.

edited for riffles

Don't blame this on Yankees. We know the difference between sausage and meatballs, and

we have enough Italians to know how to cook good meatballs.

Whoever compared the look of them to uncircumcised penises? CAN NOT UNSEE!

:brain-bleach:

Sometimes my oldest daughter decides she wants to make up her own recipes and "cook" for us. It usually involves going into the kitchen, grabbing stuff that she thinks goes together and creating some sort of weird concoction that isn't always edible.

This reminds me of some of the things she has made. Except we don't usually have canned biscuits or frozen meatballs. But if we did she would totally come up with something like this and want us to eat it. We would not force guest to suffer through this, though.

That is horrifying. I love biscuits and sausage together, but this woman just blasphemed the concept of biscuits and gravy. :ew:

(Fettucini Alfredo, properly made is one of my most favorite foods ever).

That said, I have not yet been able to even think about purchasing the jarred "Alfredo" abomination for any purpose. Not sure how actual Alfredo sauce can even exist in jar.

Part 2: Wouldn't the biscuit wrapped around the meatball just be a soggy mess? Since "biscuits and gravy" was brought into the discussion, if I eat biscuits and gravy, I leave the gravy in the bowl and break up the biscuit into pieces and dunk each piece of biscuit in the gravy and immediately put it in my mouth. Soggy biscuit = (shudders)

(OK, so I am weird about this...)

Don't blame this on Yankees. We know the difference between sausage and meatballs, and

we have enough Italians to know how to cook good meatballs.

Whoever compared the look of them to uncircumcised penises? CAN NOT UNSEE!

:brain-bleach:

I think they look like a bunch of dog assholes. Like when a dog is about to take a dump? That's what it looks like.

Hope ya'll enjoy your lunches today :lol:

Not that it makes that "recipe" any less disgusting, but the American use of the word biscuit, in case anyone is unaware, does not mean a sweet baked good.

For folks in the US (at least, as far as I know), the word "biscuit" generally means something that looks like this:

5G1FbuZ.jpg

made with a recipe something like this:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold

3/4 cup half-and-half or buttermilk

What we call scones are similar, but not the same -- I think the difference is generally that scone recipes include eggs. Someone who is a better cook, feel free to correct me.

The British use of "biscuit," meaning what we generally call a cookie, has only crossed over, oddly, into cookies for animals! Baked treats for dogs are generally called "dog biscuits" here. I assume they are not usually sweet, though.

Two nations divided by a common language. :lol:

Properly made, a fresh, hot U.S. biscuit is flaky and tender. Steam rises from the interior as you split it open and butter pats melt instantly. You can serve it with butter and jam or with something savory--you can get sausage in a split biscuit at McDonald's IIRC and if the line cooks were paying attention the biscuits aren't too bad--and you can even cook biscuits right on top of a casserole if you have the right recipe. Biscuits don't hold well, although you can toast split biscuits the next day if you must.

Now, for an actually tasty combination of meat, a dairy-based savory sauce, and biscuits, you need either chicken a la king or sausage gravy--not this . . . thing. :ew:

ETA: Step-by-step instructions for drop biscuits with sausage gravy. No, you don't need a food processor :lol:, but the Pioneer Woman does show what biscuit dough looks like and what well-baked drop biscuits look like. (You can also cut them out with a ring-shaped cutter or a drinking glass before baking.) http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013 ... age-gravy/

A recipe for classic chicken a la king. The blogger talks about serving this at Christmastime, which I never heard of before; generally it's considered fancy food for company or a treat when the ingredients go on sale. http://realmomkitchen.com/4414/chicken-a-la-king/

Not that it makes that "recipe" any less disgusting, but the American use of the word biscuit, in case anyone is unaware, does not mean a sweet baked good.

For folks in the US (at least, as far as I know), the word "biscuit" generally means something that looks like this:

5G1FbuZ.jpg

made with a recipe something like this:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold

3/4 cup half-and-half or buttermilk

What we call scones are similar, but not the same -- I think the difference is generally that scone recipes include eggs. Someone who is a better cook, feel free to correct me.

The British use of "biscuit," meaning what we generally call a cookie, has only crossed over, oddly, into cookies for animals! Baked treats for dogs are generally called "dog biscuits" here. I assume they are not usually sweet, though.

Two nations divided by a common language. :lol:

TOTALLY! :lol:

But that does look like a nice Scone :lol: Scones don't have eggs in here. Any egg would only be for glaze. Sugar can be added to the recipe for sweet. I tend not to. Purely because I am a sinner who adds sugar to my whipped cream :lol:

The variety of Scone is endless. My new favourite of the moment my child makes is cheese and chive, basic but GOOOOD. Not to be confused with my friend who served us last week her experimental chilli and chorizo scone which with great Scottish manners we all told were fucking awful.

Drop Scone is a Scottish thing, made in a pan, the nearest thing to an American pancake although traditionally just a teeny weeny size. All hail the big fluffy American pancake is there seriously anything better in life?

I once made a huge batch and had so many left that I made a traditional Bread and Butter pudding with them, I swear that was the best thing ever and would do it again except there are never any left overs now :lol:

Maybe your biscuit is like our Muffins? Our biscuits are definitely your cookies. Shortbread is just shorbread and Oatcakes are food of the Gods and not ever sweet :lol: Confused? We will be.

Now Thoughtful have not seen you for a while and it is nice to..so come with me while I corrupt you with teeth rotting Scottish Tablet. The reason we have shit teeth :lol:

TOTALLY! :lol:

But that does look like a nice Scone :lol: Scones don't have eggs in here.

Aha! So, our "biscuits" are your scones -- got it. Thanks!

Now Thoughtful have not seen you for a while and it is nice to..so come with me while I corrupt you with teeth rotting Scottish Tablet.

Thanks for the welcome back! I missed your little chicken baby, and your humor.

I had to look up Scottish Tablet -- sounds good! So now, OKTBT, you must bear the guilt of having introduced me to something fattening and tooth-destroying that I didn't already know about!

As for the "two nations divided by a common language" thing, have I told you about the time my mother was waiting on a British woman in the family linen store, and asked her if she wanted matching napkins with the tablecloth she was buying?

She didn't understand why the lady giggled.

Well, biscuits are scone-ish, and scones are biscuitlike. But if you try to swap out one for the other, your guests will probably notice. :naughty:

Ok, I really, really try to keep myself from ~food judging~, but yikes. This couldn't have been cheaper than the homemade version? I understand that it saves on time, and I would totally use frozen meatballs, but that sauce- it is so very easy, inexpensive, and fast to make a sauce that has less sugar and nonsense in it than that stuff. I'm not even advocating like cooking your own tomatoes! Just buy some cans of the no sugar added tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, etc. and add your own herbs!

Ugh. Not good food.

Aha! So, our "biscuits" are your scones -- got it. Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome back! I missed your little chicken baby, and your humor.

I had to look up Scottish Tablet -- sounds good! So now, OKTBT, you must bear the guilt of having introduced me to something fattening and tooth-destroying that I didn't already know about!

As for the "two nations divided by a common language" thing, have I told you about the time my mother was waiting on a British woman in the family linen store, and asked her if she wanted matching napkins with the tablecloth she was buying?

She didn't understand why the lady giggled.

:lol: :lol: :lol: With loops perhaps for those heavier days?

My sister went on a US/UK teacher exchange programme in the 80's. Do they still do those?

Anyways it was the 80's so she went to an aerobics class where the instructor yelled EVERYBODY ON YOUR FANNY. Yup... she lay face down on the floor.

Damn. I am making turkey meatballs in red gravy for dinner tonight (homemade!) and fresh bread for sandwiches. And I had to come here and look at this horror show. It's put me off my supper.

That said, I have not yet been able to even think about purchasing the jarred "Alfredo" abomination for any purpose. Not sure how actual Alfredo sauce can even exist in jar.

I don't understand either, and I have no desire to try it. Homemade Alfredo does freeze well, though.

Part 2: Wouldn't the biscuit wrapped around the meatball just be a soggy mess? Since "biscuits and gravy" was brought into the discussion, if I eat biscuits and gravy, I leave the gravy in the bowl and break up the biscuit into pieces and dunk each piece of biscuit in the gravy and immediately put it in my mouth. Soggy biscuit = (shudders)

(OK, so I am weird about this...)

:lol: I don't care for biscuits and gravy (love biscuits, hate sausage gravy), but I sense we are kindred souls. I have to dip my pancakes in syrup because pouring it over them makes them disgustingly soggy. I know no one else who does this.

Anyways it was the 80's so she went to an aerobics class where the instructor yelled EVERYBODY ON YOUR FANNY. Yup... she lay face down on the floor.

I'm surprised she didn't do a split! :lol:

speaking of scottish tablet.... oktobetakai you don't happen to have a good recipe for this do you?

a friend made me some - said it was her grandmother's secret recipe and refused to give me the recipe - even though I did beg

I wondered about that, too, because my alfredo is just cream and butter boiled together until they become as one, then copious amounts of freshly grated parmesan. I looked at the ingredients on a jar of Alfredo sauce once and I remember it was a very long list and included modified food starch and xanthan gum. yum.

speaking of scottish tablet.... oktobetakai you don't happen to have a good recipe for this do you?

a friend made me some - said it was her grandmother's secret recipe and refused to give me the recipe - even though I did beg

I have wasted 3 million pounds of sugar trying to make it I swear. I am a rubbish baker. Try this.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/scottis ... tablet.htm

My friend does a super easy microwave gorgeous recipe I can get if you want. NOBODY NOBODY told me for years about the fecking condensed milk :lol: I have made many versions of toffee, butterscotch in the hope of Tablet. It's such a weird texture and unless you have had it difficult to describe? BUT oh so sickeningly gorgeous 8-)

I'm surprised she didn't do a split! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would do it now just to be contrary. I think we are better at translating our differences now. Boot, bonnet, hood, douche (that just sounds SO rude :lol: ) Pissed is drunk not angry. PANTS :lol: Knickers. Sidewalk...like a snake. We have pavements because that obviously makes more sense? HA! Jumpers are something we wear at school and use for goalposts I think we may call those hideous afflictions of the fundies ..pinafores. Whatever they are an abomination to fashion and faith. Jokes aside jumper is a sweater. Sneakers we call trainers.

Douche though was a revelation. It is just. Not. Something. I never got the douche insult until I found out that blowing raspberry smelling squirts was a thing. I still do not get why that is an acceptable insult.

Douchebag? An item a US or other culture who uses this for whatever vagina cleansing. Then it is ok to use it as an insult? Sounds a bit iffy to me. Squirting any chemical up your vagina is not good but strangely nobody thinks douchebag is a bad term. Am I missing something?

Sometimes acceptable terms to one culture seem weird to another.

Sorry Meatballs and errr whitestuff to Vagina. I live to serve. :wink-kitty:

Ha, had to look up the scottish tablet. Not sure my dental work would allow that one.

TOTALLY not. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean how crap is that. I get a bad rap for being a food snob, because...well I am. Everybody can be. Just NEVER EVER deny you come from the foodie capital of decay :lol:

We are all not our country. Although having to pick between Tablet or Haggis....Hmmmm 8-)

Archived