IGNORED

Picking Melons and Mates-Colley House

Ariel

Have you guys heard of the Colley House?

This is my first time running across it, but a fb acquaintance posted this link:

thecolleyhouse.org/picking-melons-and-mates-by-cindy-colley

Here it is! The children’s book that’s for toddlers and teens about choosing wisely. It’s especially about using godly wisdom when it’s time to choose a mate for life......The first in a Family Bible Time series, this little book about a young boy in the watermelon patch with his Uncle E, will plant seeds in the hearts of your kids that, with prayer and attention, can result in God-approved marriages and happiness that will extend into eternity.

I think I'm offended that they're comparing women to melons....

eta: The website also hosts a blog called "Bless Her Heart" where she discusses the dangers of Duck Dynasty, Macklemore lyrics, and transgender children interacting with cis children. :roll:

Golly. (oops, sorry Cindy)

And I really don’t want them to think I believe one church is as good as another. I pray that I can be more and more diligent in trying to show them the church of the Bible: its unique terms of entrance and required modes of worship

I'm intrigued as to what modes of worship are required (other than not "instrumental, charismatic and doctrinally non-committal")

Golly. (oops, sorry Cindy)

I'm intrigued as to what modes of worship are required (other than not "instrumental, charismatic and doctrinally non-committal")

They're against instrumental music in worship? Haven't they read the Psalms? It's very clear in the Psalms that instruments were used in worship. The Psalms talk about praising God with lyre, harp, and timbrel. They probably don't like "charismatic" music because people dance to it. Guess what? That's in the Bible, too.

ETA: For pete's sake, why on earth do you need to teach toddlers about wisely choosing a mate? Oh, and no book is going to appeal to both toddlers and teens, even if the teens are babysitting the toddlers.

They're against instrumental music in worship? Haven't they read the Psalms? It's very clear in the Psalms that instruments were used in worship. The Psalms talk about praising God with lyre, harp, and timbrel.

I can't speak for what the Colley's believe, but generally the explanation for not believing in instrumental music in worship is because there are no examples of that being used in the New Testament. The examples in the Old Testament are no longer vaild because Jesus came to complete the purpose of the Old Testament and to give Christians the new covenant (New Testament) to follow.

I think this website gives a good description: lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVarticles/WhyWeDontFollowtheOldTestament.htm

• 3 months later...

I can't speak for what the Colley's believe, but generally the explanation for not believing in instrumental music in worship is because there are no examples of that being used in the New Testament. The examples in the Old Testament are no longer vaild because Jesus came to complete the purpose of the Old Testament and to give Christians the new covenant (New Testament) to follow.

I think this website gives a good description: lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVarticles/WhyWeDontFollowtheOldTestament.htm

There are no examples of audiovisual equipment in the new testament, either.

Did I read correctly that this should appeal to toddlers AND teens? Um ... wtf???

Dear homeschooling parents who lack both higher education and common sense: One-Size-Fits-All does NOT apply to academics!!

Archived