IGNORED

22 Awesome things I used to think were sinful

Kitchen Princess

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It pleases me immensely that since leaving fundamentalism, I have participated in/learned about/enjoyed virtually every one of these forbidden activities/ideas. I would also add tattoos and shopping on Sunday :)

I can so relate to this! I didn't take my first sip of alcohol until my early 30's because even though I knew it wasn't a sin, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm still catching up on all the television shows I missed because they were "evil".

Yes to so many of these! Add to the list "myself" because we are all terrible filthy sinners with nothing good about us. What a great self image to grow up with.

Excuse my ignorance here, but I really have to ask: are ALL of these for real? Power Rangers? Martial arts!? What else is "sinful" that wasn't on the list!?

I'm glad those who have gotten out have been able to enjoy most of these things. FSM knows that we all must go through passing out on the toilet (not the urinal) or puking in a bucket at least once in our lifetime.

Excuse my ignorance here, but I really have to ask: are ALL of these for real? Power Rangers? Martial arts!?

Yes, this is all real for some sects of fundy-ism. Also no TV on Sunday, no Cabbage Patch dolls (a Gothard thing), or Scooby Doo, Care Bears, etc. (see the book Turmoil in the Toybox and google the video Deception of a Generation for some weird-ass fundie shit). Our church when I was a kid watched that video and did a cleansing of "satanic" toys.

FJ is awesome at dredging up childhood memories. My LCMS minister preached a sermon on influencing children through the right playthings and books, and this was during the Cabbage Patch craze of the early 80s. He said that some of the dolls had un-Christian names, that the money these affluent parents were spending would better be used to buy Biblical matter and/or give to the church, and that families with "living dolls" (i.e., babies) didn't need to provide doll-like toys to little girls who craved baby brothers and sisters. :shock:

He also railed against Barbie, GI Joe, and Ouija boards! What a guy.

The more I remember, the more I think my Lutheran church upbringing was mighty close to fundamentalist BS. I didn't get a Cabbage Patch Kid, either, but I thought they were kind of ugly.

Had to smile reading this. Harry Potter is actually okay in some reformed circles so most of my cousins on the fundie farm have gotten to grow up appreciating these books, but it was only after leaving fundie that I got to discover Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman, Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey and all kinds of wonderful sci-fi and fantasy.

And I'd have to add my own list:

1. Wearing tank tops and sleeveless dresses with no cardigan

2. Star Wars and Star Trek

3. Being out at night all by myself and not feeling guilty

4. Letting dishes pile up in the sink

5. Wearing pants in church

6. Talking to men one on one

7. Romance novels

Yes to so many of these! Add to the list "myself" because we are all terrible filthy sinners with nothing good about us. What a great self image to grow up with.

So much this.

Yes, everything on the list is very true to what fundies deem sinful. My own list would also include video games and most of all, popular music. SO MUCH popular music. It blows my mind to this day how often I can hear a song that I remember specifically thinking was horrendous blasphemy as a kid/teenager and realizing how innocuous it actually is.

I LOL'd at #9! My fundie exh went to a David Copperfield show once. He got all upset & "convicted," & for years after that would tell everyone about how those illusions could only be done with "demonic assistance."

I think he was just upset & conflicted because he's in the closet & he thought Copperfield was hot. 8-)

I'm so glad I got out of that mess & took my kids with me! I never realized just how fundie we were until I started reading here.

I used to be terrified of te ebul gayz! I've mentioned (many times, lol!) that my exh is gay & probably too deep in the closet to ever come out, which is one reason he's so religious. He thinks as long as he tithes & is at church every day for some activity, & is married to a woman, that he can pray away the gay & not go to hell.

His dad died last year, & my oldest & his step-mom & aunt were going to clean out the house because ex's mom is in a nursing home. My oldest told me that his grandma called the three of them together & told them they would find women's clothes & underwear in grandpa's closet. He was a cross-dresser, & for years he would dress up as a woman & he & his wife would go shopping in a neighboring town.

My kid said that his grandma said that ex must never find out, because he would be devastated.

My oldest is transgender & gay, his cousin is gay, & his best friend (& my honorary son) is gay & a drag queen. Last night we spent hours looking at costumes online, & I'm going to make some new costumes for his show.

I hate the thought of any religion that tells me or my kids that they are is sinful & broken, or that tells someone they must be ashamed & hide who they really are.

Those of us who are ex-Mormon could add to the list things such as wearing pants to church and drinking coffee and tea.

That made me laugh. I am so very thankful for jeans, dancing, staying out after 10PM, being friends with the opposite sex (I was taught that guys never wanted to be just friends, they always expected something sexual), not feeling like I must go to church 3 times a week, being able to cut my hair, ah...so very much. I'm sure that I could continue for quite some time. I very much believe in freedom FROM religion. The world is a much larger place without so many rules, regulations and restrictions.

Oh, and swimming! We rarely got to swim and if we did we had to wear our regular long skirts and shirts, and of course our bra and underwear! Swimming is so much better in a swim suit.

Sometimes I feel lucky that I was forced to live like that for so long because I appreciate so much of what others take for granted. Not so lucky that I'm raising my daughter like that though. :D

Oh, just one more to add- Christmas! I love celebrating Christmas!!

I have never been a fundy, but I imagine Easter and egg hunts would be on that list too?

Those of us who are ex-Mormon could add to the list things such as wearing pants to church and drinking coffee and tea.

Can you explain the ban on coffee and tea? Someone told me it is because of the caffeine but if that is so, why are you allowed chocolate?

I have never been a fundy, but I imagine Easter and egg hunts would be on that list too?

Yeah, we didn't celebrate Easter either. I don't care for the egg hunts as much as I love dying eggs. Of course we do both for our daughter. :)

When I was a teenager, I believed that being gay was a sin. But, I grew up, learned more about the real world, questioned my beliefs, and changed for the better. I no longer believe being gay is a sin, and I'm ashamed of myself for believing that it was.

Yes, this is all real for some sects of fundy-ism. Also no TV on Sunday, no Cabbage Patch dolls (a Gothard thing), or Scooby Doo, Care Bears, etc. (see the book Turmoil in the Toybox and google the video Deception of a Generation for some weird-ass fundie shit). Our church when I was a kid watched that video and did a cleansing of "satanic" toys.

Curiosity got the best of me and I had to watch the Deception of a Generation. Scooby Doo was dabbling in the occult and He-Man transformed minds from believing God's word to spawning disbelief. Wow. I feel really bad that this was your childhood. This is some crazy shit! I am only 30 minutes in and I can't take the stupid anymore!

Some things on the very long list at the Christian school I taught at that didn't make his:

--Girls volleyball uniforms

--Nail polish that is not in the pastel pink or peach color families

--The Chronicles of Narnia (seriously)

--Trading cards of any kind

--Fantasy sports leagues

--Watching sports like figure skating or gymnastics with girls wearing short skirts, leotards, etc... even if you are female.

--The Olympics

--Root beer in brown bottles or silver cans

--Slushy beverages of any kind

Some things on the very long list at the Christian school I taught at that didn't make his:

--Girls volleyball uniforms

--Nail polish that is not in the pastel pink or peach color families

--The Chronicles of Narnia (seriously)

--Trading cards of any kind

--Fantasy sports leagues

--Watching sports like figure skating or gymnastics with girls wearing short skirts, leotards, etc... even if you are female.

--The Olympics

--Root beer in brown bottles or silver cans

--Slushy beverages of any kind

Slurpies are of the devil???

Can you explain the ban on coffee and tea? Someone told me it is because of the caffeine but if that is so, why are you allowed chocolate?

A missionary explained this to me. Your body is a temple, and bad things should not go into it. Caffeine, drugs, alcohol, etc... all of these will mess your body up. Using these is tearing up God's work. God created you, you should take care of yourself

Herbal teas are out. Just because its made from nature does not mean its good for you.

Basically that's it. I am not Mormon, but my room mate is, and missionaries come by quite a bit to see her.

Archived