IGNORED

President Abraham Lincoln Memorial Vandalized

Anxious Girl

Here's the linkage: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07 ... paint?lite. Look's like somebody's pissed that the traitorous south didn't win the American Civil War and that Abraham Lincoln paved 1 of the ways along with Martin Luther King Junior to make Barack Obama president... There's 1 commenter who's saying that conservatives are more respective to memorials. Wow, so I guess conservatives would be respectful and back the fuck away from abortion clinics and stop trying to rewrite history?

Honestly, it just looks like a combination of high testosterone and being piss drunk intersected. I don't think any big statement about Lincoln or his policies is behind this vandalism.

Anyone know where Justin Turley was? Oh, sure, his wife just had a baby, and she has two toddlers to take care of as well, but when has that ever stopped a Real Man from taking Dominion?

Honestly, it just looks like a combination of high testosterone and being piss drunk intersected. I don't think any big statement about Lincoln or his policies is behind this vandalism.

Agreed. Nothing about random paint splatters indicates a political statement.

I heard about this on the radio and was expecting some spray-painted message, but this looks like paint balloons. A stupid and pointless thing to do, but.

Fyi, I know you think you're honoring the guy by saying the full name, but the fact is that its called the Lincoln Memorial, not the President Abraham Lincoln Memorial. You're giving it more respect by naming it accurately.

This is coming from a huge fan that used to work on the Mall.

Yeah, most likely some dumb kids jerking around, or some drunk moron. I doubt anyone trying to make a political statement about today's climate would go for the Lincoln Memorial. Because 1890s policies and presidencies are soooooo relevant to today's political climate in general. /sarcasm

It's also the last few weeks locally before kids go into school, so my money is really on some dumb kids having a paint balloon fight on The Mall and an errant one catching the Memorial. I think somebody purposefully trying to deface it would have gone for something more obvious and extreme, or would have gone right to spray-painting slurs.

Anyone know where Justin Turley was? Oh, sure, his wife just had a baby, and she has two toddlers to take care of as well, but when has that ever stopped a Real Man from taking Dominion?

I was just about to ask if anyone knew where Sullivan Alexander was? (alexanderadventuresfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/washington-dc.html)

Fyi, I know you think you're honoring the guy by saying the full name, but the fact is that its called the Lincoln Memorial, not the President Abraham Lincoln Memorial. You're giving it more respect by naming it accurately.

Whoops, sorry. I'll remember that next time. :embarrassed:

Yeah, most likely some dumb kids jerking around, or some drunk moron. I doubt anyone trying to make a political statement about today's climate would go for the Lincoln Memorial. Because 1890s policies and presidencies are soooooo relevant to today's political climate in general. /sarcasm

Lincoln is still relevant in many ways. And he was elected in 1860 and remained in office until his death in 1865.

Be that as it may, it is helpful to our international readers to have more information about the memorial in the topic title. An Australian might not know what the Lincoln Memorial is, but could probably decipher that the President Abraham Lincoln Memorial is at least a landmark in the United States. There is a Lincoln Tunnel in NYC, but nobody would call that a land mark.

I think a vandal spraypainting the memorial would be more risky than throwing a paint balloon. I would guess it is under surveillance, and a person with a paint balloon can attack from a distance with a chance of not being caught by a camera. A person with spray paint would have to walk right up to the memorial to do so.

Agreed. Nothing about random paint splatters indicates a political statement.

Thirded! Racists always leave a calling card of sorts rather than just randomly spraying or throwing paint around. Also don't these places have security cameras....especially since 9/11?

He sent his brother, Sam to send a rather message for the return of the C.S.A! It sounds like the sort of stupid, pointless act that a Vision Forum intern would do. They could sit around and brag about their manly exploits without really doing anything dangerous. :lol:

In reality, this was probably just drunk teenagers.

Lincoln is still relevant in many ways. And he was elected in 1860 and remained in office until his death in 1865.

His policies and the lasting effect of them, absolutely. However, the mythos and the effects of his presidency are hardly held up lately as a shining example of Something To Emulate. And I know this because I *do* live near DC- I can't escape hearing as local news what, everywhere else, is national news. My money is still on drunks or kids being kids.

And what's thirty years between friends? :embarrassed:

the mythos and the effects of his presidency are hardly held up lately as a shining example of Something To Emulate.

Hwin, you've got to be kidding. Lincoln is widely viewed by professional historians and other scholars as the United States' greatest president, independent of the scholars' gender, race, or political leanings. Do a little reading (or a lot) and educate yourself!

It wasn't just the Lincoln Monument- two chapels at the National Cathedral and a statue of the first secretary of the Smithsonian Institute were vandalized, as well. In a way, the chapel almost bothers me more, not because I'm particularly religious, but because the Lincoln Memorial is open and could be viewed as a sort of crime of opportunity. To vandalize the Cathedral, she had to physically go in and start fucking around with things.

Also, getting from the Mall over to the National Cathedral is a pretty fair hike.

Archived