IGNORED

Rick Warren & Starbucks Connection

infooverload

I am currently reading Sacred Subdisions: The Postsuburban Transformation of American Evangalism by Justin Wilford while reading I cam across an interesting passage and thought I would share. In a chapter the writer quotes a Slate magazine feature from 2006. Within the quote the writer of the article states "So mainstream is he that Starbucks loaned him their grande cups as his personal billboard: "You were made by God and for God, and until you understad that, life will never make sense." So mainstream is he that he's pratically invisible. I hardly go to Starbucks and do not remember this at all. Does anyone else? What are your thoughts?

Starbucks used to have little quotes on their cups - "The Way I See It" blurbs. I'm guessing it was one of those. I'm pretty sure they took recommendations for quotes, so it probably was submitted by someone. I recall reading a religious-ish one before (possible the one you mentioned, honestly) though i think I also had one that mentioned evolution once. I get the feeling Starbucks was willing to push a few buttons when they had them on the cups.

I don't think there's too much to worry about. I seem to recall reading a while back something about Starbucks supporting gay rights?

I am not worried, but thought it rather interesting since so many Evangicals are all up in arms about Starbucks and their stance on social issues. Then there is the aspect of short term memory lapses of hey this major company you claim is the devil incarnate only 7 years ago was using its cups to spread a Christian message from a major player in your social sphere.

Archived