IGNORED

The Pearls

Brittany15

Stumbled across this article that gives a review of the Pearl's book.

abeautifulruckus.com/2013/05/how-not-to-train-up-child.html

I think it is a really good critique of the book. It is always nice to see people spreading the word about how awful their book is!

He flat out states that both he and his wife discipline other kids they come across, in front of the child’s parents, without asking for permission.

WHAT. THE. FUCK!!!! If Mike & Debi Pearl ever hit kids in my family, they would swiftly get a dose of redneck justice. Maybe not from me, but I've got relatives that wouldn't wait around for law enforcement. I'm now going to advise all parents I know who live in or travel through that area of TN to stay far, far away the Pearls, and if they see them to run quickly in the opposite direction.

ETA: Not advocating violence, just stating what my relatives would do.

My initial concern was expressing my opinion and making a bunch of you upset.

This is sad that she had to be concerned about speaking out against a harmful, child abuse manual; however, I understand. The religious right have a way of shutting down other Christians who speak out. It can be painful to have another person smugly suggest that you aren't a 'real' Christian.

The Pearls also try to make it sound as if spanking itself is the issue. Even if you don't agree with spanking as a form of punishment, it isn't the occasional swat on a child's butt that is the main issue in their work. It is the abuse found in the book.

“If you have to sit on him to spank him, then do not hesitate…Hold the resisting child in a helpless position for several minutes, or until he is totally surrendered (p.4

No wonder kids have died because of the Pearls' methods. The emphasis on breaking your child so that they won't go to hell would lead some parents to go to far.

He cautions wives not to discuss the husband’s discipline techniques with him even if she thinks it’s getting out of hand. Instead, she should just teach the kids to avoid getting spanked.

Good for the writer for speaking out.

WHAT. THE. FUCK!!!! If Mike & Debi Pearl ever hit kids in my family, they would swiftly get a dose of redneck justice. Maybe not from me, but I've got relatives that wouldn't wait around for law enforcement. I'm now going to advise all parents I know who live in or travel through that area of TN to stay far, far away the Pearls, and if they see them to run quickly in the opposite direction.

ETA: Not advocating violence, just stating what my relatives would do.

That's not advocating violence. It's self-defense. If some self-righteous imbecile attacks my child, I have every right to defend my child. I a very much a nonviolent person, but I will not tolerate anyone attacking or hurting my child.

Archived