IGNORED

Women have reproductive duty, says 'rhythm' doctor

doggie

So the doctor thinks he should dictate how many children a woman should have. Ok is he going to support them? At least he is getting in trouble with telling 16 year old girls to sue the rhythm method. He needs a big sign in the waiting room that say. I will only do what my religion tells me to do so if you don't like it leave.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10897927

A young woman was refused the birth control pill because she had not yet done her "reproductive job".

Melissa Pont, 23, said her family practitioner, Dr Joseph Lee, would not renew her pill prescription, instead lecturing her on a baby's right to live and on using the rhythm method, an unreliable family planning technique that involves having sex only at certain times of the month.

The Women's Health Action Trust said it has a "simmering issue" with GPs who will not prescribe contraceptives.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy was obviously hit a few times too often on the head with a rythm stick ... As far as I understood, this guy is employed in the public heath system? Terrible thing, did that make it into -let´s say- national news? Is there a discussion going on in NZ?

This is more common than you would think. It happened to me when I was a 23-year old field engineer working in Oklahoma. I worked approximately 100 hours a week and had to drive seventy-five miles to go see this guy only to be told, snidely, that he "did not prescribe birth control for unmarried women."

Because unmarried overworked me was in a IDEAL spot to make a baby. The thing was, at the time, I wasn't even having sex (again, working 100 hours a week), but I liked the ability to have predictable periods and wanted to keep my options open.

This guy was affiliated with a large hospital practice which didn't advertise anywhere that some of their doctors would not provide contraception. I complained, vigorously, and informed the (very young, very working-class women in the waiting room) of this fact. SOB had the nerve to send me a bill for this thirty-second consultation which I sent on to my insurer and refused to pay on moral grounds. Presumably the insurance company worked it out because I didn't get sent to collections but I have never been so infuriated.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and when I had called to make the appointment I had specifically said "I want a renewal on my birth control prescription". GAAAAH. This was years ago and recounting it is still sending the flames on the sides of my face.

This is rare enough in New Zealand that it makes the news. Doctors are allowed to object but must refer you on to someone who will provide it.

I have not heard of such s situation here that I can remember. Most doctors are falling over themselves to offer contraception. Much better to prevent than abort (our abortion numbers are going down, which seems to be related the the availability and low cost of the contraceptive implant. And we can get 72 condoms on prescription for $3). and better to not produce more kids to live in poverty with parents on a benefit.

This is rare enough in New Zealand that it makes the news. Doctors are allowed to object but must refer you on to someone who will provide it.

I have not heard of such s situation here that I can remember. Most doctors are falling over themselves to offer contraception. Much better to prevent than abort (our abortion numbers are going down, which seems to be related the the availability and low cost of the contraceptive implant. And we can get 72 condoms on prescription for $3). and better to not produce more kids to live in poverty with parents on a benefit.

So very true and I think points out that many "pro-life" folks don't really care about bringing down abortion rates and instead care more about controlling women. It is abdundantly clear that what stops women from terminating unwanted pregnancies is not having unwanted pregnancies in the first place. Countries that have worked this out and provide free or low cost easily available contraception have lower abortion rates. It works!

So a not yet conceived child is more important than a woman's bodily autonomy?

The Handmaid's Tale is a cautionary tale, NOT a practical suggestion, people!

She should have just gone to another Doctor. I"m siding with the doctor on this because its what he chooses, just like how a plastic surgeon would not choose to do lipo on someone 300 lbs overweight.

She should have just gone to another Doctor. I"m siding with the doctor on this because its what he chooses, just like how a plastic surgeon would not choose to do lipo on someone 300 lbs overweight.

WTF??? A doctor cannot choose to deny a patient care. Are you saying that if an insulin dependent diabetic eats something that sends her blood sugar over the safe amount the doctor can refuse to prescribe insulin because the doctor thinks the patient should control their blood sugar though diet only?

If a patient arrives in the emergency dept due to a drug overdose, can the doctor refuse care because he/she doesn't think someone who does illegal drugs should get care?

Are you saying a Jehovah Witness doctor can refuse to order a blood transfusion to a patient because it goes against his/her beliefs. :angry-banghead:

Hope you or your loved ones never have a health issue your doctor refuses to treat "because it's what he chooses"

:

So the doctor thinks he should dictate how many children a woman should have. Ok is he going to support them? At least he is getting in trouble with telling 16 year old girls to sue the rhythm method. He needs a big sign in the waiting room that say. I will only do what my religion tells me to do so if you don't like it leave.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10897927

A young woman was refused the birth control pill because she had not yet done her "reproductive job".

Melissa Pont, 23, said her family practitioner, Dr Joseph Lee, would not renew her pill prescription, instead lecturing her on a baby's right to live and on using the rhythm method, an unreliable family planning technique that involves having sex only at certain times of the month.

The Women's Health Action Trust said it has a "simmering issue" with GPs who will not prescribe contraceptives.

This is why when I moved to my new city, I first researched my obgyn before choosing a physician. I wanted someone with good background/medical boards, etc and I wanted someone who was prochoice. I actually called around to the 3 or 4 I had it narrowed down to and THEN made an appointment with extra time to "talk to" said obgyn before selecting him--it was basically an interview where I asked questions and he gave answers about some philosophical and what if questions. He passed my interview and turned out to excellent choice.

I don't think you should have to "go somewhere else" (after paying for that doctor's visit) because of the doctor's belief system. it is a waste of time for the patient and the doctor. He should simply not see single women. Or get out of the gyn game altogether.

Knock it off.

You must be joking. You tell the receptionist what the appointment is for when you make an appointment. If this doctor is not going to prescribe birth control, that needs to be stated to the patient before she takes time off work and makes her way to the office.

There ARE ob/gyns who don't prescribe birth control in the U.S. (I just found out about this). They are "natural family planning" ob/gyns, but they ADVERTISE themselves as such, so patients know what they are getting into.

And speaking of nfp ob/gyns, does anyone read Camp Patton? Blog by the wife of an nfp ob/gyn intern in St. Louis. He is supposed to be teaching women nfp, yet his wife has given birth to 3 kids in under 3 years. They are each like 13 months apart. I like her self-deprecating style, but her toddlers are constantly getting into repeated mischief and accidents and she seems clearly overwhelmed. Like so many of the bloggers we read here, she seems to be building a prison of her ideology.

So just because you are a profession, you have to cater to anyone who asks?

If its life or death, then you probably do have a responsibility. Pill birth control isn't life or death. Why can't someone say no? Would you say yes as a plastic surgeon if a 17 year old came with her parents to get breast implants?

Thats why you should research someone before you spend money on them, that's the smart thing to do. Not everyone is going to prescribe you whatever you want because of objective and subject reasons (and that goes with every medical field.)

No, I'm not saying that is messed up if she couldn't find out beforehand about the Doctor. But I doubt she did do her research and its not that big of a deal if it wasted an afternoon. There are far worst things in this world.

Not going to waste time arguing with someone who thinks there's some kind of moral equivalency between a woman who wants the birth control pill and a teenager who wants breast implants.

No, I'm not saying that is messed up if she couldn't find out beforehand about the Doctor. But I doubt she did do her research and its not that big of a deal if it wasted an afternoon. There are far worst things in this world.

I can't tell if you're serious with your comments on various threads... if not, not everyone lives in an area with many GPs to choose from. Additionally, medical systems vary country-to-country. Not sure how NZ's medical system is but the woman in question might have limited options - GPs or OBGYNs (depending on who prescribes BC in NZ) in her area might not be taking more clients, for example.

Also, "its [sic] not that big of a deal" to waste an afternoon? It'd be a big deal if you were a wage worker with limited vacation and/or sick days who had to travel a distance to reach a doctor. Even worse if you had to travel to see someone and lacked a car.

I'm not saying its the same, but you aren't going to die if you can't get your bc pills. Can you admit that? I'm just saying no one obligated to do what you want.

I have PCOS, so I am at risk for serious health complications if I don't "get my BC pills."

Also, look up the maternal death rate for women in the US. Here's a hint: it's horrible.

Not going to waste time arguing with someone who thinks there's some kind of moral equivalency between a woman who wants the birth control pill and a teenager who wants breast implants.

This is also someone who joined the Mormon church that says that a woman's main duty is to have lots of babies.

Oh hey, a quick google search for the clinic name shows that the region has a shortage of doctors and that the clinic was opened last year in an attempt to alleviate the issue. (http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-expr ... ase-strain). Prior to the clinic's opening, the wait time for a new GP in the area was 3-6 months.

And plenty of women die due to pregnancy complications. Also, I think the general cost of having a child makes access to birth control pretty damn important.

I take an antidepressant in order to live my life as a functional adult, and without it, I would almost certainly commit suicide.

The drug I take has been demonstrated to cause birth defects, and cannot be taken during pregnancy. I have tried more than a dozen different antidepressants, and this is the only one that works for me. Because of the risks, my doctor insists that I remain on prescription birth control for as long as I am taking the antidepressant.

So yes, Mormon Fundie Troll, birth control is life-or-death for me.

Someone who lives in a first-world nation, like the US or NZ, should be able to assume that her doctor will be willing to provide her with a prescription for a safe, well-proven medication like the birth control pill.

If a doctor is unwilling to provide this minimal level of service then that doctor should be publishing that information, as in:

-I will not give you birth control unless you have at least four children.

-I do not believe that your baby should be vaccinated.

-I think that I can cure your cancer by prayer and using smudge sticks.

There are some minimal standards for acceptable medical practice and this young woman did not receive them.

Hey fundie troll,

I rarely post here but this weekend I saw the following patients at the ER job I have.

-ruptured ectopic pregnancy

-septic miscarriage that was doing very, very poorly and went to the ICU

-heart attack because of dangerously low hemoglobin because she bled so much from her fibroids

All 3 of these patients were incredibly sick and were very much in danger of dying. All 3 of them would have not been in that situation if they were on birth control. Also, did you see how the third patient wasn't even pregnant?

Medical decisions are made by patients after consulting with their doctors, not after talking to their doctor's clergy.

When I was a freshman in college, I had my obgyn appointment over winter break. I was not sexually active at the time and not of birth control, but I asked for a prescription for the morning after pill to hold on to "just in case" (the pill was brand spanking new at the time, I think it had just been approved months before). My doctor told me, in no uncertain terms, that his practice "did not condone promiscuity."

Needless to say, that was my last visit to that doctor.

I'm not saying its the same, but you aren't going to die if you can't get your bc pills. Can you admit that? I'm just saying no one obligated to do what you want.

Not only can pregnancy (and other issues helped by bc pills) cause life-threatening complications, but it can also cause financial ruin, emotional chaos and generally destroy a life even if it doesn't end it. Are you insane?

Archived