IGNORED

Exodus International shutting down - Merge

Gil

Exodus International Shuts Down: Christian Ministry Apologizes To LGBT Community And Halts Operations

Irvine, Calif. (June 19, 2013) — Exodus International, the oldest and largest Christian ministry dealing with faith and homosexuality announced tonight that it’s closing its doors after three-plus decades of ministry. The Board of Directors reached a decision after a year of dialogue and prayer about the organization’s place in a changing culture.

“We’re not negating the ways God used Exodus to positively affect thousands of people, but a new generation of Christians is looking for change – and they want to be heard,†Tony Moore, Board member of Exodus. The message came less than a day after Exodus released a statement apologizing (exodusinternational.org/apology) to the gay community for years of undue judgment by the organization and the Christian Church as a whole.

“Exodus is an institution in the conservative Christian world, but we’ve ceased to be a living, breathing organism,†said Alan Chambers, President of Exodus. “For quite some time we’ve been imprisoned in a worldview that’s neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical.â€

Chambers continued: “From a Judeo-Christian perspective, gay, straight or otherwise, we’re all prodigal sons and daughters. Exodus International is the prodigal’s older brother, trying to impose its will on God’s promises, and make judgments on who’s worthy of His Kingdom. God is calling us to be the Father – to welcome everyone, to love unhindered.â€

For these reasons, the Board of Directors unanimously voted to close Exodus International and begin a separate ministry. “This is a new season of ministry, to a new generation,†said Chambers. “Our goals are to reduce fear (reducefear.org), and come alongside churches to become safe, welcoming, and mutually transforming communities.â€

exodusinternational.org/2013/06/exodus-international-to-shut-down/

I am really glad they issued the apology.

I wonder why there hasn't been any attention from our favourite bloggers? :twisted:

I am really glad they issued the apology.

I wonder why there hasn't been any attention from our favourite bloggers? :twisted:

I'm looking forward to the Xgay Greg whining, personally.

That's wonderful! One more step in the long walk to having a moral, accepting world.

That's excellent news!

Gil, I'm waiting for XGG to start whining about how the prince of the air is at work, yet again. I'm sure he'll be commanding his followers to donate to his grifting ass, er, the all important Motorcoach Ministry TM more than ever before. :lol:

Good news. I just feel a bit wary about their new projects (?). Especially if they ask for donations to do so (not sure if they do, since the "support exodus" tab on that page might be an old one). What would be their new goal? To fix the damage that they have done? Why should anyone trust them to?

Well maybe there is a god after all.

This made me think that god is only as good as his representatives on earth.

Guest Anonymous

Is Exodus International the one where two of the co-founders fell in love with each other and denounced the organisation?

What about this?

We’re not negating the ways God used Exodus to positively affect thousands of people

What is he referring to here? How did Exodus International positively affect anyone, let alone thousands of people?

Edited: Wording

Good news but I could have sworn it was old news. What was the other ex-gay group that came out, literally, a few years back when the leaders announced they were a couple? Not Exodux Intl. I guess there was another one.

Hmm...I saw an ad this morning on the Oprah Network (don't judge me!) that Lisa Ling's show is covering this soon. I think? It was pretty early morning when I saw it and I was still a bit groggy.

Interesting news.

just to put things in perspective we have this story of the Shit that is exodus

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 65231.html

Jerry, a man married for more than two decades and a father of two, spent years fighting his attraction to other men. He listened to tapes from "ex-gay" group Exodus International and joined an "ex-gay" fellowship in his hometown, hoping the efforts would eliminate his homosexual urges -- but they didn't.

Seven years ago, Jerry came out as a gay man. Though he was free from the struggle of fighting his homosexuality, Jerry's life was marred by tragedy just a few months later when his 26-year-old epileptic son, Billy, passed away from a seizure. "It was devastating for all of us," Jerry says in this video from Lisa Ling's special report on "God & Gays."

When Jerry returned to town for his son's funeral, he was confronted by someone from the "ex-gay" group regarding the cause of Billy's death. "One of the people from Exodus had said to me, 'It was your fault,'" Jerry tells Ling in the video. "He said, 'Well, the Lord took his hand of protection off of your family because you chose the homosexual lifestyle.'"

"Given that state of vulnerability that you were in, did part of you believe that?" Ling asks.

"I hate to admit it, but I think when you're raised with the message that you're wrong and that you're evil, some of that haunts you and stays with you, in a way," Jerry replies. "You almost feel like you deserve bad things because you couldn't fix it, because you couldn't overcome it, because you couldn't conquer it. It really goes in deep into the heart and really does damage."

In Ling's special report, Jerry and several "reparative therapy" survivors confront the leader of the "ex-gay" organization Exodus International, Alan Chambers, with more stories of their painful experiences in the "ex-gay" movement. Chambers will face his critics and then speak out with a new message of his own: an apology.

I'm really interested to see the Lisa Ling coverage of this. I do think it's fantastic news this awful organization is shutting down, but there are many more out there that need to do the same. I don't fully understand where Alan Chambers is coming from with this though....he sees that reparative therapy is harmful and admits it, and takes responsibility for the harmful message Exodus has pushed - but what now? Does he now believe that the Bible does not indeed condemn homosexuality? Is he no longer a Christian? It doesn't sound like it....I feel that his apology is much too vague. And I don't fully trust his future efforts to atone for the damage he has helped cause. I'm watching how this unfolds with a lot of skepticism. Still, the end of Exodus IS a small victory.

Btw, I attended an Exodus International conference back in 2005 myself. I felt that it was full of conflicting information. Instead of being cured of my homosexuality, I met my girlfriend there. We are no longer together but are still good friends, so thanks for that, Exodus.

Exodus International, part of a Christian missionary group that has claimed to have "ex-gays" and used therapy to turn gay people straight, has shut down because it has been proven that people can't choose to be gay with science. Here's the linkage: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06 ... t#comments. They actually gave a proper apology instead of a non-pology! I'm sure the fundies are pissed. :D Let's have a happy dance! :fire-nanner: :banana-dance: :banana-linedance: :banana-rainbow: :banana-rock: :banana-tux: :happy-bouncyblue::happy-bouncycyan::happy-bouncygreen::happy-bouncymagenta::happy-bouncymulticolor::happy-bouncyred::happy-bouncyredfire::happy-bouncyshadowgreen::happy-bouncyyellow::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpgreen::happy-partydance:

Thanks for posting on this, Gil. I am encouraged by this news. Reparative therapy is based on a wrong and hurtful presumption-- that "different from average" is the same thing as "broken."

I'm glad I clicked on this thread...for several reasons, but also because I now get LGBT pride ads instead of the ones for crisis pregnancy centers that I usually get on here :lol:

Archived