IGNORED

Who is Creepier/more harmful - Maxwell vs Pearl

lizziesmom

In terms of influence on other, Mike Pearl.

With their own children, Mike and Debi had some elements that weren't horrible (like some independence and fun) to balance out the bad stuff. They had also been raised that way from birth, so their spirits probably were crushed enough that they didn't get constant beatings.

The biggest problem with the Pearls is that TTUAC is largely focused on the plumbing line, and on this idea that normal baby/child behavior needs to be "trained" out of children physically in order to avoid defiance and having your child become a spawn of Satan. Perhaps, somewhere in their minds, Mike and Debi had limits or never needed to go to extremes with the physical discipline, but they published this advice which was read by others. The 3 kids who died were all adopted, and the TTUAC method - and particularly the MINDSET behind it - were a toxic combination when combined with older child adoption. The book really encourages parents to see evil in children, and there are examples of Mike Pearl saying that discipline needs to continue until the child is fully obedient. With a very young biological child, that could be set off by some natural love and affection. Add to the mix an older child, from another country and culture which is not respected, possibly suffering from past trauma, and you have a tragedy in the works.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Pearl children (daughters) are or ever were better off than the Maxwell children. Yes, they were allowed to leave the house, but look at what they're stuck with, especially Rebekah. Gabe Anast is fucking nuts, and their living situation is straight out of a developing nation. Sarah's SAHDhood is not as bad as that. Plus they have none of the legal protections afforded by marriage for themselves or their children because their father doesn't want them to be "equally yoked with sodomites" :cray-cray:

Steve is emotionally manipulative and horrible, but Michael's kids are lucky they're not dead or physically disabled from their father's "training" methods. They've also produced nearly 20 more kids who are likely going through the same abuse, and influenced countless others through TTUAC. Steve has got nothing on Michael Pearl.

It is a bit of a trick question.

If the question were "whose kid would you rather be?" I'd probably say I'd rather be with the Pearls--because they have the ability to leave, they have, however unsuccessful, lives--unlike the Maxwells.

If the question were "if God were to strike some of them w/ lightning and tell off the world for listening to them, who would I rather he target" I'd say that targeting the influence of the Pearls, with their wider sphere of preaching hate would be better.

Nathan Pearl – his partner is Zephyr, and they have four children. They own Cane Creek Coffee, but appear to be taking a break from that business, when last checked. He seems to be working for his parents a great deal: nogreaterjoy.org/author/nathan-pearl/

Shalom Brand – her partner is Justin Brand, who is described on NGJ as an auto mechanic and metal artist – they also appear to do a lot of work for the Pearls. Their children are Gracie, Laila Truth and Parker Ford.

nogreaterjoy.org/author/shalom-brand/

Nathan and Zephyr's children are named Laura Rose, Ashley Grace, Jacob Cody, and Gideon Levi. Shalom's oldest daughter is Janelle Grace "Gracie".

I definitely think Michael Pearl is more harmful than Steve Maxwell, although they are both very creepy.

Nathan and Zephyr's children are named Laura Rose, Ashley Grace, Jacob Cody, and Gideon Levi. Shalom's oldest daughter is Janelle Grace "Gracie".

Thanks.

I'd taken the descriptions and lists from the nogreatercrap website, so I only had the info Mike had provided.

Michael Pearl definitely. All sorts of people follow his "parenting style," and children have died from it.

On the other hand, shouldn't we be somewhat thankful for the way Steve treats his kids? Yes, their lives are horrible, but their sphere of influence isn't growing like the Pearls'. Steve's kids are a genetic dead end; there won't be another generation of brainwashed crazies.

Archived