IGNORED

More news from Russia--jail time for insulting religion

Rachel333

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/arti ... 81657.html

The bill protecting "believers' feelings," which rights activists and analysts have called a "step back" for Russia, a legal "Pandora's Box" and a return to the Dark Ages, looks set to take effect in July after sailing through the State Duma with a unanimous vote on Wednesday.

The so-called "blasphemy law," which stipulates criminal prosecution for any abuse of religious feelings, has already provoked a chorus of criticism, with many warning that it will be applied selectively, increase religious intolerance and violate the Constitution's recognition of Russia as a secular state.

I did actually think what Pussy Riot did was extremely offensive, but it's hard for me to understand how their punishment was appropriate, and this law seems very concerning as well. The article gives an example of a Muslim group wanting to use the law--"a Muslim organization on May 27 called for "legal liability" to be imposed on a children's book publisher whose illustration it said offended Muslims. The illustration in question was a picture of a crocodile holding what Islam.ru said resembled a torn-out page from the Koran."--but I have a feeling it's mainly intended to protect the Orthodox church. The article does also quote several religious leaders--Christian and Muslim--who are against the bill, which is encouraging.

Correct me if I am wrong but Pussy Riot was protesting because the Russian Orthodox Church was guilty of some sort of voting fraud to help Putin? If there is a connection between the church and state then I don't think that protesting against the church is offensive even if done inside the church.

If I have misunderstood why they originally protested, I apologize

Archived