IGNORED

Native Americans need to repent for their ancestors

Lillybee

Reminds me of how my fourth grade teacher at my old church school said that the Native American religions were "stupid". My mom was quite shocked when I told her my teacher said this. My family was more liberal with religion compared to the rest of the church.

Do white Americans have to repent for their ancestors' treatment of Native Americans? Or was it ok since they were Christians? Or do you not have to repent if the oppression is ongoing? That is just such bullshit...

Ugh, the whole generational sin thing. That's the belief that your ancestors' sins get passed down unless you cleanse yourself of them, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. My old church had a whole program for dealing with generational sin and my parents started to get involved. I felt like it was getting almost cult-like, and I brought up my concerns with my parents and even came up with a Biblical rational for why it's wrong. They were annoyed then, but later said I was right and actually thanked me.

I was actually just trying to go through some of my ancestry. I came across some documents from some ancestors who owned slaves in the 1700's. If I need to repent for my Native American ancestors, I should probably repent for those white, Christian ancestors, too, right? And if you go back far enough, my white, Christian ancestors' ancestors were all pagans. Should I just repent for everyone?

Do Italians need to repent because their ancestors worshipped Roman gods?

And yes, animism is evil genocide's apparently ok??

Luckily, the Natives I know wouldn't care what this moron has to say. Unfortunately, that is because they face a lot more significant challenges in their daily lives that trump worrying about your ancestors spiritual worship.

Riffles

Do white Americans have to repent for their ancestors' treatment of Native Americans? Or was it ok since they were Christians? Or do you not have to repent if the oppression is ongoing? That is just such bullshit...

Our Governor had a big state apology (and a federal one while he was Senator) to Native Americans.

pbpindiantribe.com/news.aspx?id=705

However, as nice as that all sounds it is tightly related to this Cindy Jacobs "stuff" (from narwatch, who won't care if we link) http://www.narwatch.com/2010/10/17/lou- ... -problems/

Sen. Sam Brownback says his association with Apostle Lou Engle is related to apologies for the treatment of Native Americans and African Americans. True! Brownback has taken part in NAR* “Reconciliation†events since 2003, and subsequently introduced Senate resolutions apologizing to Native Americans. These Reconciliation ceremonies are not about pluralism, but about proselytizing – for both charismatic evangelical belief and right wing politics. NAR repentance rituals are an evangelizing technique called “Identificational Repentance and Reconciliation,†a weapon in the arsenal of Strategic Level Spiritual Warfare, now widely practiced by prayer warriors of the evangelical Right. Brownback’s counterpart, and representing Native Americans in the rituals, is ICA* Apostle Jay Swallow, who specializes in “identificational repentance and high-level spiritual warfare.†The ceremonies are linked to culture war issues including abortion and prayer in schools, and include demonization of Native American heritage, sites, and (claimed) destruction of artifacts.

I am sad to say my Brother in law is hip deep in this crap.

Is she Mormon? That's the only context in which this would make an iota of sense: If you can receive baptism for your ancestors, perhaps you need to repent fro the sins of your ancestors as well.

In other news: The stupid is strong in this one.

Do these people realize that EVERYONE has non Christian ancestors? There are lots and lots of non Christians throughout history.

ETA: This is beside the fact that Christianity itself is only a few thousand years old. There were people long before there was Christianity.

In multiple places in the OT, it talks about the sins of the fathers visiting the children but only to the third or fourth generation:

Keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children's children, to the third and the fourth generation.†Exodus 34:7
see also Numbers 14:18, Dueteronomy 5:9, Exodus 20:5

BUT, this was all supposed to have been washed away with the new covenant:

In those days they shall no longer say: “‘The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge.’ But everyone shall die for his own sin. Each man who eats sour grapes, his teeth shall be set on edge. “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. ... Jeremiah 31:29

and as Jesus says:

As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?†Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him. John 9:1-3

So, by my admittedly inexpert, reading making people repent of their ancestors' sins is actually unChristian!

Is she Mormon? That's the only context in which this would make an iota of sense: If you can receive baptism for your ancestors, perhaps you need to repent fro the sins of your ancestors as well.

In other news: The stupid is strong in this one.

No, not Mormon, but a batshit crazy evangelical. I think she's charismatic, too, and part of the New Apostolic Reformation.

She says Mexicans have to repent for the Aztecs.

My great grandfather on my mother's dad's side(confusing, I know) was half Cherokee. Do I have to 1/16th repent? Or do I have to repent all the way? What about my mainly Irish ancestry?

Ugh, the whole generational sin thing. That's the belief that your ancestors' sins get passed down unless you cleanse yourself of them, and it's a huge pet peeve of mine. My old church had a whole program for dealing with generational sin and my parents started to get involved. I felt like it was getting almost cult-like, and I brought up my concerns with my parents and even came up with a Biblical rational for why it's wrong. They were annoyed then, but later said I was right and actually thanked me.

I was actually just trying to go through some of my ancestry. I came across some documents from some ancestors who owned slaves in the 1700's. If I need to repent for my Native American ancestors, I should probably repent for those white, Christian ancestors, too, right? And if you go back far enough, my white, Christian ancestors' ancestors were all pagans. Should I just repent for everyone?

I recently found that some of my ancestors in the 1700s and early 1800s owned slaves, too. Upset me a bit, I really didn't expect that. Made me angry, too, to think someone I'm descended from thought it was okay to buy another human being. As bad as I feel about it, though, I'm not repenting for them. That's between them and God, not me and God.

I also have a relative who thinks we need to repent of the divorces in our family. My parents divorced, my aunt divorced, and one set of great-grandparents divorced. As far as I know, that's it, which I think is a pretty low number considering how big our family is and how far back on both sides we can trace our ancestry. But this relative thinks our entire family is going to reap the whirlwind for generations to come if we don't all repent.

I just don't understand it--don't Christians believe that we're each, individually, answerable to God for our own actions? When did we all become responsible for everyone's sins? :?

Do Italians need to repent because their ancestors worshipped Roman gods?

And yes, animism is evil genocide's apparently ok??

My ancestors were non-human apes. Do I need to repent for that?

Apparently the lord had put it on this woman's heart to demand repentance for your genetic ancestors belief system.

"If you have in your bloodline any animus, any Native American blood, for instance -- not all Native Americans worshiped the serpent or crocodile, many did — but you might want to renounce that and repent for the generational iniquity,â€

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/0 ... 90601.html

Archived