IGNORED

The Inevitability of Gay Marriage

Kira

Two article about gay marriage are making their way around conservative sites . One argues that the French protest against same-sex marriage will stop the inevitability gay marriage(despite the fact hat gay marriage became legal in France. The second tries to make a libertarian case against gay marriage.

thepublicdiscourse.com/2013/06/102893

pocketfullofliberty.com/libertarian-case-traditional-marriage

What do you guy think? I would love to hear from our French posters.

Want to talk about inevitability (in the United States at least)? Check out one of my favorite graphs of all time:

post-4355-14451997942097_thumb.jpg

Basically, this image shows the percentage of people in the US who explicitly express support for marriage equality, broken out by both the age of the respondent and the state they live in. The substantial gap between young and old in terms of their support for same-sex marriage is definitely noteworthy - as is the fact that in all states, support for marriage equality increases among younger respondents - but to me, the most mind-boggling thing about the graph is this: The number of people ages 18-29 who support same-sex marriage in the overall least supportive state (Alabama) is still greater than the number of people ages 65+ who support it in the overall most supportive state (Massachusetts). An 18-year-old in the most conservative of red states is slightly more likely to support same-sex marriage than an elderly resident in the liberal Northeast. And these numbers are from five years ago, before many of the recent marriage equality initiatives really even gained steam!

So if these numbers are to be believed, opposition to same-sex marriage is, quite literally, dying out in much of the United States. Any movement that stands against it is going to have to change, or die out too.

BTW, the Supreme Court will rule on DOMA this month. They give out decisions on Mondays. I think gay marriage opponents are grasping at straws. France, New Zealand, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Washington St, Rhode Island and Delaware have passed same-sex marriage this year. France and New Zealand joined 10+ other countries in legalizing gay marriage. The fight for gay rights has made a lot of progress and I don't see it stopping. Opponents of gay right are clinging to whatever they can to not look defeated.

The UK House of Lords just, today, rejected an amendment that would have 'wrecked' gay marriage by an unexpectedly large marjority. This means that marriage (as opposed to civil union) is well on its way in the UK. Progress is unstoppable...

This is a fabulous quote by an older peer, Lord Jenkin:

I have come to the firm conclusion that there is nothing to fear in gay marriage and that, indeed, it will be a positive good not just for same-gender unions but for the institution of marriage generally. The effect will be to put right at the centre of marriage the concept of a stable, loving relationship. As a practising Christian, perhaps I may make the point to the Bishops’ Benches, including to the most reverend Primate, that there is every reason why, in time, the Anglican Church should come to accept that, although I recognise that it may take some time. The character of love which marriage reflects—that it is faithful, stable, tough, unselfish and unconditional—is the same character that most Christians see in the love of God. Marriage is therefore holy, not because it is ordained by God, but because it reflects that most important central truth of our religion: the love of God for all of us.

pinknews.co.uk/2013/06/04/lord-jenkin-i-was-taught-that-condemning-a-homosexual-is-the-same-as-condemning-someone-with-red-hair/

I was actually thinking about this earlier today.

I'm in my early 30s in RI, which just legalized gay marriage. I realize I live in a more liberal area, but I don't know one person around my age who is against it...no matter their political or religious leanings. That chart was interesting to me because I had been wondering if it was really an age issue or generation gap. Seems like younger people everywhere are generally more in favor.

I agree that the tides are turning and the opponents are just grasping at straws. I look forward to the day in the future where it's legal everywhere, when it's no big deal and it will seem crazy there was ever so much drama.

The situation here in Australia is frustrating. Polls show that up to two-thirds of the population support gay marriage (including more than half of the respondents who identified as religious), so there is certainly STRONG public support... & yet both our PM & the leader of the opposition personally oppose it. It's failed every time a bill to try & legalise same sex marriage has been put to Parliament, because although the ruling, left-wing party allow a conscience vote, the opposing conservative party are against it on party lines. So there are always more votes against than in favour.

The reason why it keeps stalling? Fundies. Of course. I can't find the link, but I read an article recently examining the issue. It discussed how some of the most marginal & crucial seats in the country are also in areas with high fundamentalist or evangelical Christian populations. A few thousand votes by them could decide a whole election.

I'm certain it's an inevitability, though. I give it 5 years at most. In the meantime, my boyfriend & I won't marry until all our friends have the same right.

What I cannot understand is, how the fuck is gay marriage an issue at all. It should be absolutely natural. In many ancient cultures, homosexuality was totally natural and accepted. And now it's an issue. What gives?

Want to talk about inevitability (in the United States at least)? Check out one of my favorite graphs of all time:

The number of people ages 18-29 who support same-sex marriage in the overall least supportive state (Alabama) is still greater than the number of people ages 65+ who support it in the overall most supportive state (Massachusetts). An 18-year-old in the most conservative of red states is slightly more likely to support same-sex marriage than an elderly resident in the liberal Northeast. And these numbers are from five years ago, before many of the recent marriage equality initiatives really even gained steam!

So if these numbers are to be believed, opposition to same-sex marriage is, quite literally, dying out in much of the United States. Any movement that stands against it is going to have to change, or die out too.

What's most striking to me is that the chart is so old -- the vast majority of movement in the acceptance of marriage equality has been in the last few years. I'm sure the chart would show huge movement towards acceptance across all age groups now. What is striking about the marriage equality movement in general is how incredibly rapid the progress has been ! It was only in the late nineties that openly gay characters began to be leads on television. And it has only been in the 2000s that legal same sex marriage ( in modern times ) has become legal anywhere. That is a remarkable rate of change. I guess the internet is good for something after all.

The situation here in Australia is frustrating. Polls show that up to two-thirds of the population support gay marriage (including more than half of the respondents who identified as religious), so there is certainly STRONG public support... & yet both our PM & the leader of the opposition personally oppose it. It's failed every time a bill to try & legalise same sex marriage has been put to Parliament, because although the ruling, left-wing party allow a conscience vote, the opposing conservative party are against it on party lines. So there are always more votes against than in favour.

The reason why it keeps stalling? Fundies. Of course. I can't find the link, but I read an article recently examining the issue. It discussed how some of the most marginal & crucial seats in the country are also in areas with high fundamentalist or evangelical Christian populations. A few thousand votes by them could decide a whole election.

I'm certain it's an inevitability, though. I give it 5 years at most. In the meantime, my boyfriend & I won't marry until all our friends have the same right.

Hillsong seem to play a very prominent role in NSW politics. Was it about them? or Fred Nile maybe?

I think that the current Liberal party stance on gay marriage is actually conflicting with the party beliefs. I'll be voting for Kevin (Andrews!) in september. Hopefully they change their tune & at least make civil unions legal.

I guess the internet is good for something after all.

...she posted, on the Internet. :laughing-rollingyellow:

Seriously, great observation and I agree.

What I cannot understand is, how the fuck is gay marriage an issue at all. It should be absolutely natural. In many ancient cultures, homosexuality was totally natural and accepted. And now it's an issue. What gives?

Seriously, even if someone is against it, there are SO many other more pressing issues in the country and the world. Things that you might disagree with buy not actually pursue as boycotts, protests, and putting money against a cause. Taking it to such a larger level than it should be. And really I don't get why there is disagreement.

Archived