IGNORED

God The Abuser

debrand

When I read some of the post from those of you who are religious, I am struck how compassionate and caring your view of god sounds. Burris's god sounds logical and I think that MamaJuneBug's god is a bit maternal. I have a theory that each person creates their own god based on who they are and what their needs are. Some people have loving gods that inspire them to do good. Other people have vindictive, asshole gods because that is who they are. However, now and then someone's version of god is so abusive to the worshiper that it is difficult not to feel sorry for the person

therebelution.com/blog/2013/04/christ-the-definition-of-a-life/

“If all I loved was stripped away, what would my life be defined by?†The haunting question whispered through my soul, chasing me in my dreams at night and finding me on the path I took to avoid it during the day. Such a question was too painful to face. “If all I loved…â€

What kind of being would ask someone this screwed up question? Because I don't believe in god, my opinion is that the 22 year old invented this question in her own mind because she has some inward need to subjugate herself to some higher power.

“Ah, my daughter! You do love much, and so I’ll ask you again, if all you loved was stripped away, if I took it away, what would your life be defined by?â€

Except for Job, I don't think that there are any biblical instances of the Judeo-Christian god testing anyone by destroying their family. Please correct me if I am wrong. Are there any instances of Christians having to prove how much they loved god by loosing their families? That doesn't sound loving. The question sounds like something an abuser would ask.

Time is precious, and yet I wasted it on things that were temporal, such as adventure novels, social networking, and improving my self-image. Even things that were considered important by all, such as college studies, my writing, and hobbies, began to take preeminence. Family and friends consumed my thoughts. I read my Bible studiously, but took little away from it. Prayer time was essential, but not a true encounter with the Living God. Suffice it to say, I did love much, but not what was vital or best.

This doesn't sound healthy. It sounds psychologically harmful. How do you decide that you've spent too much time on anything other than god? I could see a perfectionist worrying about every spare moment of their time, wondering if they should read a book for pleasure or do anything beyond worship god

She wants to be a paralegal and help women and children. Hopefully, she accomplishes her goals, but I also hope that he gets a different version of god to worship

When I read some of the post from those of you who are religious, I am struck how compassionate and caring your view of god sounds. Burris's god sounds logical and I think that MamaJuneBug's god is a bit maternal. I have a theory that each person creates their own god based on who they are and what their needs are. Some people have loving gods that inspire them to do good. Other people have vindictive, asshole gods because that is who they are. However, now and then someone's version of god is so abusive to the worshiper that it is difficult not to feel sorry for the person

I definitely agree with you. Steve Maxwell's god is a judgmental sociopath, Doug Phillips's is flamboyant and theatrical. Go figure.

Edited to fix grammar I hope?

Well, there's the time God told Abraham he had to sacrifice his son to God and Abraham was willing to do it, but because he was willing to do it God didn't make him go through with it. I don't know if that counts since he didn't actually take away the child.

One of the metaphors that is commonly used for God is parent (esp. father). People bring far different experiences with an earthly father to the discussion.

Well, there's the time God told Abraham he had to sacrifice his son to God and Abraham was willing to do it, but because he was willing to do it God didn't make him go through with it. I don't know if that counts since he didn't actually take away the child.

And then there's Jephtha, who does sacrifice his daughter. He vowed and kept his vow. No last-minute ram, nothing.

I like the idea of an "I love you no matter what" God. i'm not sure I can believe it to be true, but I see that as my human failing to understand boundless love/the concept of Grace without feeling like I owe something.

I can't find the exact quote right now, but I recently saw Joseph Campbell quoted as saying that people worship the kind of god they think they could become. In other words, their god represents their idea of what is good and what they'd like to be like. So some people worship a god whose greatest concern is that everyone should be loved and cared for. Others worship a god whose greatest concern is to show how he's bigger and better than everyone else and they all have to do what he says, or else. Some worship a god who is flamboyantly creative and beautiful. Others worship a god who kills and destroys. And we all tend to become miniature versions of what we worship.

Some, of course, cut out the middlegod and just work on becoming what they most want to be, without reference to a higher power. I'm not saying that's better or worse--but not everyone seems to feel the need of a god.

Fundie God is a mixture of an abusive parent and someone who is playing Real Life Sims.

That reminds me of something I read on tumblr:

"You know when you're walking into a room to do something and then you've completely forgotten what it was? God deleted the action!" ^^

That reminds me of something I read on tumblr:

"You know when you're walking into a room to do something and then you've completely forgotten what it was? God deleted the action!" ^^

:lol: Now I picture a giant, bearded man on the Sistine Chapel ceiling hitting the delete button instead of touching Adam's finger.

Archived