IGNORED

The Simpsons

crazyforkate

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I love this series and I hope to god it'll go on and on and on within my lifetime (and after, even though I won't be watching it, unless hell got cable : )

Oh, me too, if The Simpsons goes on until I'm eighty I'll watch it to the bitter end. Right now I'm reviewing all the previous seasons just so I can catch up with the entire series and say I've seen every one...it's pretty close but a few have been missed here and there.

And I'm pretty sure hell has cable, but it only gets the shows you hate!

Oh, me too, if The Simpsons goes on until I'm eighty I'll watch it to the bitter end. Right now I'm reviewing all the previous seasons just so I can catch up with the entire series and say I've seen every one...it's pretty close but a few have been missed here and there.

And I'm pretty sure hell has cable, but it only gets the shows you hate!

Oh in that case, I'll post an ad in Craigslist Hell looking for people to swap files or cable. PLEASE CFK, do come over bringing your most comfy jammies once we descend to hell. Booze, Wine Ice Cream, homemade chana masala or tacos are on me.

Well, if the fundies are right, all of FJ is going to hell, so we'll have to establish a sinners' colony. And Hell's Craigslist only consists of the creepy ads, everyone knows that! :D

Well, if the fundies are right, all of FJ is going to hell, so we'll have to establish a sinners' colony. And Hell's Craigslist only consists of the creepy ads, everyone knows that! :D

Freaking heaven it will be! I assume villains all go to hell too, so in the afterlife I'll hook up with a whole bunch of badass villains and make them my slaves.

Question: What is the proper way around here to share links to movies and cartoons? I made the fatal mistake of starting a thread with direct links to movies. I know it was a horrible misstep, but I just wanted to share, because sharing is caring unless it's the flu. :D I don't want to have my ass kicked again.

There was a rerun of the Christmas episode on last night - where you meet Bart's sons and Lisa's daughter. I really like the episode. Except they married her to Milhouse. Sigh.

• 4 months later...

I thought the episode was kind of meh.

I'm curious to see who they'll be killing off, though. Al Jean said a character was going to die - someone who had won an Emmy for doing the voice.

Seriously? Well, here are the characters who got the actors Emmy wins (their actors also voice other characters, but these are the specific performances that won) - Bart, Homer, Marge, Lisa, Mrs Krabappel, Rabbi Krustofski, Apu, Sideshow Bob, Princess Penelope (Anne Hathaway), and Various Characters for Hank Azaria and Dan Castellaneta.

Okay, so let's assume it's a specific character (it may not be, it could be one of the "various", but eh). It won't be one of the family. I mean, DUH. Hathaway's character was a one-shot, Rabbi Krustofski also seems too minor. That leaves us with Apu, Mrs. Krabappel and Sideshow Bob. I would rank it like this:

1. Apu. He's miserable, his marriage sucks, life didn't work out the way he wanted. I could see a suicide if they wanted to go really dark, or perhaps a Kwik-E-Mart murder. He is beloved by viewers, true, but he's kind of past his heyday at the same time. His portrayal seems a bit dated, and he's had some great stories. Maybe it's time to let him go.

2. Sideshow Bob. It's Grammer's only role, people have been kind of getting tired of him, but on the other hand he's such a good part of the show that viewers would miss him. They did have him fake his death a while back, though, so that's the big reason against that I can think of. Then again, since when have they shied away from being repetitive? And would viewers really react that much to a violent criminal getting killed?

3. Krabappel. Nah. They don't have any reason to kill her off. She's happily married to Ned. They're not going to kill off the second Mrs. Stupid Flanders. From a business point of view, since she's Wallace's only major character, it would make some sense - but again, Ned's wife. They repeat, sure, but that story was WAY too memorable to repeat. Besides, killing a woman - whether we like it or not - tends to be taken as much more grave on a comedy show.

Here are some odds courtesy of Daily Fail, but even if Edna's first, I'm still not feeling it:

5/1 Edna Krabappel

6/1 Sideshow Bob

6/1 Comic Book Guy

7/1 Grandpa Simpson

8/1 Snake

9/1 Apu

10/1 Krusty the Clown

12/1 Moe Szyslak

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Simpsons world has a sad this week. Marcia Wallace, the voice of Edna Krabappel, passed away yesterday. Besides her role on The Simpsons, she had a long career in comedy, appearing on Murphy Brown and scoring a supporting role on The Bob Newhart Show.

I guess she is the first major cast member to die. Phil Hartman and Doris Grau (Troy McClure/Lionel Hutz and Lunchlady Doris respectively) died, but their roles were much less integrated into the show's everyday functioning. They will apparently be retiring her character, though Krabappel was not the character who was supposed to be "killed off" this season. I can't imagine Bart with a new teacher...not to mention Flanders has lost another wife!

There's a moment in, I think, Season 11 or 12 (the one where Bart goes on a drug that is totally-not-Ritalin), when Bart has gotten hold of a tank and is about to destroy something in town. When he points it at the school, Edna comes out with "No. Stop. Think of the children." It's difficult to convey here, but the way she says it is so tinged with her years of bitterness and regret. It's a full and nuanced character in one line - and so funny that I always have to rewind and rewatch a couple of times. We all knew an Edna Krabappel. Hell, since becoming a teacher, I feel like Edna Krabappel half the time. Even if she is "just a character" - this series won't be the same without her, and television won't be the same without Marcia Wallace.

Will be watching "Bart the Lover" and "Bart Gets an F" tonight.

1aaaaamrsk1.jpg

I heard about Marcia Wallace earlier. Edna is one of my favorite characters and Bart the Lover is one of my favorite episodes.

It's possible they won't kill Edna off. Maybe she'll retire from teaching. She and Ned could stay married, but with Edna just in the background, mentioned but never featured.

I'd not read about Marcia Wallace's passing till I read a thread on DailyKos about Lou Reed who died yesterday. The producers of The Simpsons say that Edna Krabappel will be retired. That's not to say the character absolutely won't be killed off, but I sure hope she won't be. Marcia, btw, was a long-term breast cancer survivor of almost 20 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcia_Wallace

I hope they don't kill Edna off... or move them away. Flanders is too much a part of the show.

Marcia was a rare gem...

Archived