IGNORED

Lori Alexander: Leaving the House is Bad For Your Health

Lori advises women that for the sake of your health, don't work outside the home. And if you are already a SAHM, for the love of G-d, don't have too many hobbies or pursuits that take you away from the house!

Many women who have to work outside the home are physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted. They still feel a huge responsibility for keeping the home, their heart, so they feel pulled in many directions and they are suffering for it.

Today's women are plagued with many illnesses...depression, chronic fatigue, adrenal fatigue, heart disease, etc. I have said this many times before but it is worth repeating. Men's testosterone levels range from 250 to 750 while women's levels range from 25 to 75. We weren't created physically to handle the stress and hard work of having to provide.

When I was diagnosed with PCOS, my testosterone level was 150. Does that qualify me for a part-time job?

Even if you get to be home full-time, don't get too busy in things outside the home. It is okay while you are raising babies to not be in a Bible study or minister to others. Your main ministry and energy needs to be for your family.

If you want to be home full-time, discuss it with your husband, start living frugally and saving, then start praying and watch how God will provide. Your husband needs you home. Your children need you with them 24/7. Your home needs you to keep it clean, warm, and cozy. This is God's will for you and His will is best.

I heard a lecture from the former director of the Field Museum in Chicago. He said that during the 1950's and 1960's, most of their volunteers were "stay-at-home-moms"--some of them "volunteered" every single day. Once the 1970's came and it was easier for women to get full-time paid work, these types of women stopped volunteering. Some women have an innate need to be involved outside of the home either in a paid career or volunteering/activism. Who is she to tell women not to be involved in public life in a significant way? Maybe she's worried the women will start getting ideas from non-Lori women. The Saturday knitting breakfast at my local craft store draws a strong liberal, pro-choice contingency.

Yay, another Post of Puke from Lori. :clap: My day is never complete without one.

Well hold on here. I just read a statistic that household accidents are responsible for more deaths than anything outside the home, with the exception of motor vehicle accidents.

So Lori, you, and other women, can leave your homes safely, as long as you walk or ride a bike.

:roll:

Am I the only one who imagined this Monty Python like foot coming down and squashing any woman who dares to leave the home?

Being a SAHM isn't for everyone just as motherhood isn't for everyone. Let the person decide rather than speak for everyone.

What do testosterone levels have to do with the ability to handle stress? Am I missing some basic biological thing here or is Lori, as usual, full of shit?

Ugh. Adrenal fatigue, I'm surprised she didn't say leaky gut.

Either she is too stupid to realize that every woman is not like her, or she is miserable and thinks that everybody should be.

What do testosterone levels have to do with the ability to handle stress? Am I missing some basic biological thing here or

You guessed it in one.

She is always full of shit. Hey Lori, not all women leave their homes to work. Some women work from home these days.

Sure, in the olden days their work was very hard physically but they knew their place was in the home.

I don't know about her grandmother, but mine worked. And my great grandmother worked their farm. We don't have any fading violets in my family.

This is horrible and fascist but I dont think that people as sick as this twat should be allowed to allowed to raise children. ESPECIALLY daughters.

Why do I keep clicking on these Lori threads? Seriously, it's like I can't let a day go by without a good :angry-banghead:.

Lori, can you please do every woman a favour and sit down and shut up? I do not hate my gender, like you apparently do. If you chose to stay home - then good for you! But just as women come in different shapes and sizes, so we also, do not all fulfil the same role. We need every kind of woman (the SAHM, the doctor, the teacher). We all play a different and an important part in the game of life - and if it wasn't for the wonderful diversity of different women that surrounds us, we would miss out a rich and beautiful world. Embrace the differences, Lori - don't hate them.

Holy parallel universes, Batman, Dr. Lori is at it again. Adrenal fatigue?? :lol: Testosterone and endurance??? It has been shown again and again, Lori, that while men are physically stronger (can lift heavier weights etc), it's women who win the endurance contests. Women are actually built (evolution and all that) to keep on going. I guess that's why my husband collapses on the sofa after work and I make dinner, play with the kids, do laundry and clean up.

This is horrible and fascist but I dont think that people as sick as this twat should be allowed to allowed to raise children. ESPECIALLY daughters.

I think that it is scarier to have a boy raised to treat women like this.

Actually, getting out of my house helps my depression greatly. Sitting at home all day would cause me too spend too much time thinking and then I would become more and more depressed. School and working keep me distracted and being able to talk to other people is helpful. I'm sure having a child would keep me busy for some of the day, but I would still need to get out and talk to people. There is no way if I was somehow a SAHM that I could be home all day, everyday and not go out and do things. I would have to be the SAHM who puts the child in care and take some classes just to prevent depression from occurring. Staying at home would be horrible for my anxiety as well because I would end up allowing my phobias to get the better of me and never leave. Yes, going out does cause more anxiety, but it also forces me to deal with it. Sitting at home would just make me think way too much and thoughts run away from me, which cause irrational fears and anxiety.

Ugh. Adrenal fatigue, I'm surprised she didn't say leaky gut.

Either she is too stupid to realize that every woman is not like her, or she is miserable and thinks that everybody should be.

Her motto is if she gotta suffer, then we gotta suffer.

This is what makes me crazy about Lori and like-minded people:

At the same time they are touting how America is the best, the most Christian, the most free nation God ever put on this earth, and proclaim to support veterans at every opportunity, they have no idea what that entails. My husband was in the Army for 27 years. We could never have survived on his income (though his retirement benefits are wonderful). To keep us out of the poverty that Lori claims we don't have in the US, I HAD to work. I also had to deal with EVERYTHING when he was away. I couldn't just sit at home and bury my head in the sand and pretend the big evil world wouldn't demand things of me "because my testosterone levels were low". It was worst from 2003-2005 when every church in our conservative town was displaying Support Our Troops banners, but not one of my conservative Christian neighbors with their SAHMs was offering one iota of assistance. Electrical work? I did it. Plumbing? I figured it out. Ditto yard care and snow removal and house painting (interior and exterior) and tree trimming. Me and my low testosterone did it all, all alone.

Women today do what women have done for eons: we do what it takes. For some of us it means taking care of aging parents and grandchildren simultaneously. For some of us it means working 100 hours a week, both inside and outside the home. And apparently some of us get to sit at home eating organic food and taking walks on the beach and spending all day telling others that they should be doing the same and if they're not they're doing it all wrong.

High stress and a busy life I can handle. Lori gives me a headache.

Actually, getting out of my house helps my depression greatly. Sitting at home all day would cause me too spend too much time thinking and then I would become more and more depressed. School and working keep me distracted and being able to talk to other people is helpful. I'm sure having a child would keep me busy for some of the day, but I would still need to get out and talk to people. There is no way if I was somehow a SAHM that I could be home all day, everyday and not go out and do things. I would have to be the SAHM who puts the child in care and take some classes just to prevent depression from occurring. Staying at home would be horrible for my anxiety as well because I would end up allowing my phobias to get the better of me and never leave. Yes, going out does cause more anxiety, but it also forces me to deal with it. Sitting at home would just make me think way too much and thoughts run away from me, which cause irrational fears and anxiety.

According to my hubby-with-an-actual-medical-degree, staying home often increases your chances of death or disability. Staying mentally and physically active, socializing and having a sense of purpose are important to our well-being.

Listening to a memorial for Lily Pulitzer this morning, her whole business started when she opened an orange juice stand because her doctor told her to find something to do.

So what would her advice be for the women who get depressed because they are stuck at home with children?

So what would her advice be for the women who get depressed because they are stuck at home with children?

C'mon, you know the answer. Submit more, of course.

Of course I am a godless heathen, but sitting around at home actually makes me restless and rather unhappy. I admit that I don't have small children to take care of but a rather obnoxious teenager, which has to count for something. I don't have a house and garden either, so if I am at home for a longer period of time I have to find some volunteer work or make myself get for hikes or bike rides or whatever. Otherwise I just feel lonely and tempted to eat everything that is in my fridge out of sheer boredom.

But maybe that's a symptom of my low adrenaline level, what do you think? *rolleyes

So this woman who admits she is not smart enough to understand a commenters explanation about biblical translations, is now able to interpret scientific studies and give out medical advice? Ok.

Low-income women have ALWAYS worked. People like Lori are actually just bemoaning middle-class women entering the workforce, but there have always been working women - there has always been a group of women for whom working is a financial necessity. Even in medieval times, women were expected to work in the fields alongside their husbands as well as brewing beer (always the wife's job) and housekeeping. Low-paid work has only been gender-segregated since the Industrial Revolution. Before that, men and women who worked in agriculture-based jobs mostly worked together. Men who only worked with other men tended to be artisans or skilled workers such as blacksmiths.

Archived