IGNORED

Cersei and the average fundie woman (GOT spoilers))

AtroposHeart

I have been reading the "Song of Ice and Fire" and have only caught a few episodes of the HBO series. I am currently on the fourth book and one of the additions to the book is a Cersei pov. Now Cersei is one of the most hated characters in the show (Of course, she can't match the hatred her son gets) but I found her oddly fascinating and look forward to her povs. Even though I dislike her morals and actions.

I can't help, but notice parrells to Cersei to the average fundie women.

Now bare with me here, since I know this sounds weird. Cersei was born into a deeply patriarchal culture and heavily resents it. The only power a woman has is through the males in her life whether is be her father, husband, sons, or brother. She rants to Sansa about her lack of power, which she clearly craves.

I think this relates to a lot of fundie woman. They are what I call Hera-type women (After the Greek Goddess) who want power and control, but uses their family to gain it instead of seizing it with their own means. In the fundie world a woman's only power is her male relatives, like westboros. Of course, many fundie women choose this lifestyle, but lets not forget the unfortunate women born into this patriarchy and have no choice.

Of course to me the biggest parrell is that Cersei may resent the gender roles, but she is far from a feminists. Cersei reinforces the patriarchy and doesn't blink at forcing other women into gender roles, such as Sansa with the beatings she took from Joffery and her forced marriage Tyrion. She openly slut shames other women, despite cheating on both her husband and brother.

Not liking at her obvious hyprocisy, is that many fundie women are obviously miserable in their patriatchal roles, but still force these on other women. To forcing their oldest daughters to raise their siblings, slut shaming, and writing blog posts with topics that go between dresses only to anti-women's suffrage.

Cersei is a victim of the patriatchy, but she is also a proponent of the system of the system that keeps her down and miserable, just like so many fundie women

Can we please combine all of the song of ice and fire threads?

Archived