IGNORED

Too much education spoils your chance for a miracle

salex

Or, the gullible and uneducated are more likely to see the really big miracles.

rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/01/robertson-god-gives-less-miracles-to-too-educated-americans-who-learn-science/

Per Pat Robinson-- miracles are more likely to be seen by people who are not very well educated. God prefers the poor, uneducated and easily led!

People overseas didn’t go to Ivy League schools,†the TV preacher laughed. “We’re so sophisticated, we think we’ve got everything figured out. We know about evolution, we know about Darwin, we know about all these things that says God isn’t real.â€

“We have been inundated with skepticism and secularism,†he conintued. “And overseas, they’re simple, humble. You tell ‘em God loves ‘em and they say, ‘Okay, he loves me.’ You say God will do miracles and they say, ‘Okay, we believe him.’â€

“And that’s what God’s looking for. That’s why they have miracles.â€

More reasons not to send your kid to a school that will teach them anything... I guess.

Well, freakin' duh. If you don't know anything about science, a cake rising seems like magic.

It's like all those "miracles" fundies go on about that are actually just common, everyday event. My husband and mother in law just got stuck in the parking lot of Home Depot with a dead car battery. So my husband put up the hood and waited. Within 2 minutes, someone stopped to give them a jump.

That's not a miracle, that's the law of averages. X number of people have jumper cables in their car, there are y number of people going through a Home Depot parking lot on any given day, so if you wait long enough, you'll get a jump. But if we were fundy, I'd be praising the Good Lawd for ignoring children in war zones so as to provide me with a jump.

Well, freakin' duh. If you don't know anything about science, a cake rising seems like magic.

It's like all those "miracles" fundies go on about that are actually just common, everyday event. My husband and mother in law just got stuck in the parking lot of Home Depot with a dead car battery. So my husband put up the hood and waited. Within 2 minutes, someone stopped to give them a jump.

That's not a miracle, that's the law of averages. X number of people have jumper cables in their car, there are y number of people going through a Home Depot parking lot on any given day, so if you wait long enough, you'll get a jump. But if we were fundy, I'd be praising the Good Lawd for ignoring children in war zones so as to provide me with a jump.

I'd wager that the chances of someone having cables in their car are slightly higher than average at a Home Depot, just based on their clientele. :D

What is this "overseas" bull?

Hahahahaha I wonder why...could it be that clever people are less likely to believe something is a miracle as they know the normal explanations for it

You...you mean it prevents people from having miracle 12 month babeees and being xgay?? The horror!

You...you mean it prevents people from having miracle 12 month babeees and being xgay?? The horror!

It certainly prevents people from believing someone saying htey are having a miracle 12 month baby and being xgay, despite the flamingness.

I could use a miracle or two but they aren't happening. Oh snap! I guess I shouldn't have gone to college! Then maybe they'd have happened by now! :doh:

Can I turn in my degrees somewhere? Do I need to throw in my high school diploma, too? I want to see some miracles and didn't realize that it was my education preventing me from seeing them. I suspect they are happening all over the place, but it's like I have Education Blinders on.

"Televangelist Pat Robertson on Monday explained to his viewers that “sophisticated†Americans received less miracles because they had learned “things that says God isn’t real†like evolution. "

Fewer. The word you want there is fewer.

:angry-banghead:

So I should stop pursuing the degree for my dream career, then? And I'll be miracled into that degree field, right?

Mercy. I'll have to plan my self-administered lobotomy, soonest!! :lol:

So I should stop pursuing the degree for my dream career, then? And I'll be miracled into that degree field, right?

No, because it's faith (not necessarily religious faith), determination, and hard work that creates miracles.

I thought the miracle babies were all those "preemies" born at 6 months but miraculously full weight (or even large!) and seemingly normal gestation-age developed! :lol:

"Televangelist Pat Robertson on Monday explained to his viewers that “sophisticated†Americans received less miracles because they had learned “things that says God isn’t real†like evolution. "

Yeah, that's not actually true.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language ... 03775.html

And even if it were, language choice has a lot more to do with your audience than with made up zombie rules. When speaking to people who are ignorant about the virtues of remaining that way, it's probably best not to sound too hifalutin'. Gives you a twisted sort of authority and an air of down-to-earthness.

No, because it's faith (not necessarily religious faith), determination, and hard work that creates miracles.

But. But Patty Boy says... and then there's the (some may say, God-given) desire to counsel and help others who have been through the same shit I have been through. Hmmm...."God-given" desire to help "God's creation" or no education so I can't do that, but I can still selfishly get my miracle. Gee, I'm so torn. :roll:

Then he needs to explain George bush, Mitt Romney, both who were born into privilege, went to the best schools, etc.

Then he needs to explain George bush, Mitt Romney, both who were born into privilege, went to the best schools, etc.

And who have gotten elected by being "somebody I could have a drink with". I wouldn't want to have a drink with any politician, and I want them to be smarter than I am, but a lot of people think people who talk like they do can somehow relate better to them. The same goes for televangelists. They want to be relatable, so they can rake in the dough.

But. But Patty Boy says... and then there's the (some may say, God-given) desire to counsel and help others who have been through the same shit I have been through. Hmmm...."God-given" desire to help "God's creation" or no education so I can't do that, but I can still selfishly get my miracle. Gee, I'm so torn. :roll:

Pursuing your degree is what I meant by hard work and determination. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear.

You should absolutely stop with the degree and let the LORD show you the way!

Pursuing your degree is what I meant by hard work and determination. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear.

No, I got your point. I'm just feeling extra snarky today. Sorry. Maybe I should scale back the sarcasm. It doesn't seem to be translating well. :oops:

Funny coming from a man who attended Washington and Lee University, Yale Law School and the New York Theological Seminary before becoming chancellor of Regent University.

My friend's dad also says that people who go to University are less likely to believe conspiracy theories, because at Universities they brainwash you into believing whatever lie the government wants you to believe...

I personally think miracles happen every day: science in and of itself is a miracle. I get a cut, and it's healed in... well, it heals itself. To me this is miraculous, but obviously there's science behind it. Going to college will not affect this.

Time to shove that crayon up my nose just like Homer Simpson.

And guys like this is the reason I don't let my kids watch the televangelist channel. I'd rather they accidentally caught an episode of Bones, CSI or even Honey Boo Boo.

Then again, I also let my seven year olds watch the c section of 30 week triplets.

Archived