IGNORED

Super Nanny: The Mann family

EyeQueue

Has anyone seen this episode? It's turning my stomach. The family has one daughter and three girl triplets, and they spank all of the kids with hands and wooden spoons. The mom just said she "doesn't like" her six-year-old (?) daughter and doesn't want her around "her children" (meaning the younger triplets).

Oh, and the spanking? They were encouraged to do this via a church seminar. I wonder if it was a Pearl thing...the show doesn't say. It hurts my heart to see these children brutalized in this manner. :(

And they keep barking out what sounds like a slogan to the kids before they spank: "Trust and obey!"

Has anyone else seen this?

I'm watching it right now, and there are so many things wrong with that family. Basically, the older daughter started misbehaving when they had triplets. Instead of thinking, "Maybe she's feeling insecure in our affection since we haven't been able to spend as much time with her," they start hitting her and leaving her along in her room as punishment. Then they get confused when she starts throwing more tantrums.

I'm honestly glad that this family got help, but it really concerns me that there are other families in similar situations.

I posted on this one back in the Yuku days. It was APPALLING.

IIRC, the oldest daughter that the wife "didn't like" and "didn't want around her children" was adopted, unlike the others.

The "trust and obey" mantra doesn't sound like the Pearls, but like some other fundie "expert" who invented his/her own name-brand "guaranteed-to-work-or-ur-doin-it-rong" discipline system. I broke out in a bitter grin when, after the mother had hauled off and whacked the oldest kid yet again, the girl retorted, "I DON'T trust you!"

I think I've seen this episode... but I've seen at least 2 episodes where the mother spanked constantly. In one family the kid would say they were sorry, and the mother would say, " I forgive you" and then proceed to whack the child a coupla times. It made me sick, and I wanted to share REAL Christianity with those poor children. You know, the kind of Christianity where Jesus said something about it being better for a person to be thrown in the ocean with a stone tied around their neck than for a person to hurt the little ones?

That poor 6 year old :( sounds like something I would say. Go her!

Is there a link for it, from You Tube or somewhere? I know someone asked above, but no one responded with it, and I would relly like to see it.

I did see this!!And thought the exact same thing.Didnt they say they went to a christan,parenting seminar?Ive seen a couple of these parents also.One of them-mabey not this one-was simultaniosly spanking and saying I love you,I forgive you.I thought it was a Gothard or Pearl type seminar they went to.It confused me!I can see how it would be confusing to a kid..

Is there a link for it, from You Tube or somewhere? I know someone asked above, but no one responded with it, and I would relly like to see it.

If you're in the US most of them are on hulu. I can't link you because hulu only like desktop computers.

"Trust and obey" is probably from the hymn of the same name that is popular with fundies.

Not just fundies. It's sung in mainstream congregations as well, at least in Seventh Day Adventism. The Chorus to the real version goes:

Trust and obey

for there's no other way

to be happy in Jesus

but to trust and obey

The special Trynn version of the chorus goes

Rust in the bay

but there's no other bay

that we have to swim in...

but there's rust in the bay!

Yes, my childhood rebellion included tweaking the lyrics to some of the songs. That one's actually not my best, but there you have it. Tune in next time to hear "Sit Down, Sit Down for Satan," "God's Grapes," and "Welcome welcome never welcome cursed sabbath day."

Depending on who I'm standing next to, it either drives people nuts or makes them giggle uncontrollably.

I remember this! Those poor kids. Of course you won't trust your parents if they hurt you on purpose.

Yet another fundie adoption horror story (and of course parenting horror story). I HATE, HATE, HATE that these people are allowed to adopt children. Not every freaking nuclear family is preferable to every group situation. These children are better off in a (clean, well-run, kind and sane) group home than with these despicable slime who know nothing about child development, much less adoption trauma; beat them; expect not only obedience but gratitude; and blame all of their problems on a recalcitrant child, or RAD (why is it a disorder to not bond to people who've taken you from your biological family and maybe your whole culture, and who treat you like crap?)

I haven't seen this episode but want to--can't imagine JoJo with this bunch.

OK...so the fundie BS apparently runs deep with this family. I know my hackles were certainly raised at some of the stuff.

I didn't catch that the older daughter was adopted. I'm sure she'll appreciate the "my children" comment when she gets older.

I also have my doubts thag this family reformed their spanking ways...but I hope I'm wrong. The mother mentioned wanting to smack the older girl in the mouth, and how she was afraid she would someday hurt her. :(

Archived