IGNORED

New Zealand's "who are you?" ad

merrily

I generally liked it, but I think they should added a part where he made a choice not to pursue her after she had said no/ was inebriated.

I was scared, with Nz, that is would be some horrid Bob McCroskey thing. (expat kiwi here)

That was really interesting. I liked seeing how easy it was for each person to non-confrontationally end the situation.

I think there are plenty of "don't be a rapist" campaigns, this shows how you don't have to jump up and say "hey, rapist! don't rape that girl!", you can just make sure super drunk girl doesn't go home with a stranger. And, the guy wasn't sober and quite possibly had no idea she was too drunk, not just agreeable.

Guest Anonymous

If anything ever needed the words "Trigger Warning", it's this video.

I quite liked this message though. I liked the fact that it was all about checking whether she was all right and asking her what she wanted, rather than just... (Yeah, I'll be over here crying. Not really sure how to finish this thought).

I'm annoyed by most "don't be a rapist" campaigns. For the most part, they seem to buy into the presently fashionable rape apologism, telling us that rapists have no real criminal intent. It's quite stange that we (the general "we") are always very clear in saying that rape is about violence, control and power but, at the same time, we hold the completely contradictory view that many rapists have no intent to rape. "Don't be a rapist" adverts portray rapists as hapless, clueless and sympathetic characters who just don't realise that what they're doing is rape. Is that really believable? Believe me, I understand that rape culture makes it easy for rapists to get away with their crimes. But does that really mean we should believe their excuses? Rapists (and their allies) argue that they shouldn't be held responsible for their rapes because society tells them that if a woman is wearing a low-cut top then she's instantly available for sex.* Is that really any different from a rapist saying "Hey, man, did you see what that slut was wearing? Do you know how many men she's been with? Of course it wasn't rape"?

I need to stop ranting.

*The dog ate it, my grandmother died, hip-hop culture, [insert other lazy excuse]...

I generally liked it, but I think they should added a part where he made a choice not to pursue her after she had said no/ was inebriated.

After watching it, I agree with this. It would have been nice to show that, in addition to other people surrounding her stepping in, that the man himself should also be held responsible to not pursue her after she's already told him no.

Archived