IGNORED

Actual Persecution of Christians

Maggie Mae

There are some people from Iraq (Christians) in my area. They literally had to run for their lives. I don't think the whining people who blog about persecution on the net know what persecution really is. If you don't like what people are saying on the net, it's easy--don't read it. It's a lot harder in a country where they're arresting people and people are being killed for being Christian.

Yeah, I'd like to see *anyone* who screams persecution in this country to live somewhere that actual genocide has occurred. Or in Ancient Rome when Christians were arena entertainment. Or during the Spanish Inquisition. Or the during fighting between Protestants and Catholics in England and later on Ireland.

*Then* we'll talk "persecution".

True that.

American Christians (and I include myself) don't have a clue what real persecution looks like.

That.

They think that people being put off by their attempts to "save" and disagreeing with them is persecution. They have no clue what actual persecuted Christians (and other people of other religions) are going through.

Note: I am aware not all Christians are the same, some are really nice, some don't feel persecuted at all, and some know that there are people out there who experience a whole lot worse than people disagreeing with them.

Guest Anonymous
Yeah, I'd like to see *anyone* who screams persecution in this country to live somewhere that actual genocide has occurred. Or in Ancient Rome when Christians were arena entertainment. Or during the Spanish Inquisition. Or the during fighting between Protestants and Catholics in England and later on Ireland.

*Then* we'll talk "persecution".

I second that. The Romans REALLY discriminated-with lions.

While I disagree with a lot of Southern Baptist things, when I hear about Christians today discussing persecution or sacrifice, I think about Lottie Moon, who was a missionary to China in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. She not only managed to overcome her prejudices and ended up embracing Chinese culture, but she also literally gave everything to the people she ministered to, even when there was incredibly harsh anti-Western sentiment. She actually died on malnutrition at the age of 72 because there simply wasn't enough to eat and she was giving all of her food away to everyone else.

I bet you dollars to donuts there isn't a single fundie who would do the same.

While I disagree with a lot of Southern Baptist things, when I hear about Christians today discussing persecution or sacrifice, I think about Lottie Moon, who was a missionary to China in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. She not only managed to overcome her prejudices and ended up embracing Chinese culture, but she also literally gave everything to the people she ministered to, even when there was incredibly harsh anti-Western sentiment. She actually died on malnutrition at the age of 72 because there simply wasn't enough to eat and she was giving all of her food away to everyone else.

I bet you dollars to donuts there isn't a single fundie who would do the same.

I've long thought that Fundies are some of the most selfish people I have ever been in contact with. From some of my interactions on fundie momy boards, I can say for certain that the prevailing attitude is: Feed Mommy first, so she can have the energy to breastfeed/carry to term/sit around and hang with the tots, then feed the husband, then the youngest children, then the older children. Non family is set home at dinner time, because it's family first. It takes a family to raise a child and all that nonsense.

Children NEED to be exposed to people. I get that parents want to protect their innocence. I get it. But I think that divergent viewpoints are important. How else can someone learn the things that are taught in the bible - the parts about "treating your neighbor as you would yourself" and giving your possessions to charity and taking care of fellow humans? It makes me sick to hear parents go on and on about how they threw away all the toys/clothes on the floor. If you are going to teach a lesson like that, at least pack the stuff up and give it to someone who needs it! Let your children's friends stay for dinner once in a while. There were a few parents who talked about how they didn't like the neighborhood children because they would come over and try to stay for dinner, and dinner is family time. You can teach your kids when other kids are around! My family never turned away anyone from dinner, even my aunt's abusive ex-husband would come at Christmas. We might have 40-50 people in the house, but everyone got food, everyone got to laugh and play cards, and was treated as family.

Archived