IGNORED

The Onion Refers to 9 Year Old Oscar Nom as C-Word

greek_chorus

Usually The Onion gets it really right, which makes this so confusing. It's not funny. It's not satirical. It can't really even be construed as a joke. They just really, really misfired this time. I hope Wallis was protected from it, though I expect that is nearly impossible.

In regard to The Onion: Definitely inappropriate.

In regard to the word cunt: It is regarded, in our society, as a "curse" or a "bad" word - certainly not something I would say at work or teach kids to say. However, I have changed my own personal opinion on it based on The Vagina Monologues - I love the cunt monologue. At the end of it, the word is actually sexy. (TO ME. I get that someone else may not agree).

Edited because I thought that Robin Williams, in response to the PIvot questions, responded "Cunt" as his favorite word. Nay, it was "Pussy".

Maybe I'm weird, but if I'm alone with my boyfriend, I would rather call that portion of my anatomy my cunt than my pussy. Pussy sounds so weak. Guys get all the one-syllable hard-sounding words: dick, cock, etc. That said, if a guy (or girl) called me (or someone else) a cunt, I would be livid. Words like that are like napalm: they can be hot, but they can also be really incendiary.

Maybe I'm weird, but if I'm alone with my boyfriend, I would rather call that portion of my anatomy my cunt than my pussy. Pussy sounds so weak. Guys get all the one-syllable hard-sounding words: dick, cock, etc. That said, if a guy (or girl) called me (or someone else) a cunt, I would be livid. Words like that are like napalm: they can be hot, but they can also be really incendiary.

I agree. "Cunt" sounds like something you'd yell while rabbit punching someone in the throat. Which is awesome.

Wow. I hope the guy who tweeted that gets fired and blacklisted from anything related to writing satire.

Satire only works when it's pretty clear and humorous. Tweeting that a nine-year-old girl is a cunt is not satire, that's beyond the pale.

And who the fuck thought it was a good idea to let Seth McFarlane host the Oscars? Fuck that guy. If anyone is most deserving of the 'cunt' label, it's him for that awful "joke." Seriously? She's nine years old, and you think it's okay to announce that she has X more years to go before she's "too old" for a much older man to have any interest in her? WTF?! Seriously, that asshole needs to go away. I hate his shows, and it's clear why they all suck: because he does.

Archived