IGNORED

Generationstarvation Poppin' out Disciples.

OkToBeTakei

generationcedar.com/main/

Part 6 of Kelly's never ending series of something.

“Marriage Is Meant for Making Children . . . Disciples of Jesus

There is a double meaning in that title that I hope will help you remember the point. Marriage is for making children—that is, procreation. Having babies. This is not the main meaning of marriage. But it is an important one and a biblical one. But then I add the words disciples of Jesus. Marriage is for making children into disciples of Jesus. Here the focus shifts. This purpose of marriage is not merely to add more bodies to the planet. The point is to increase the number of followers of Jesus on the planet.â€

I’ve written many times on this subject because I can’t think of a whole lot more important, more world-changing, than a parent’s command to disciple his children. “Let the children come and do not forbid them, for of such is the Kingdom of Heavenâ€, Jesus rebuked even His own disciples.

My bible knowledge is not the best but I'm pretty sure he was not meaning spewing them out like bullets from your uterus like the Big Space Invader in the sky.

*In every way, every day, in every circumstance. This is the powerful part of being with our children. From the time they wake, until they go to bed, the day presents a multitude of opportunities to bring them to the cross, to demonstrate God’s love and forgiveness, His holiness and His sovereignty, His authority and His goodness.

YAWN! Public school is evil.

(From the beginning of time until only a few hundred years ago, it was ludicrous to think children could adequately prepare for life (much less be discipled) by spending most of their day with peers or anyone else besides the older generation; it was considered the only logical setting in which to pass down the wisdom and education that prepares for life.)

YAWN Public school is evil.

*In the midst of strife (have you ever wondered why strife does seem to be more prevalent among family members?) we look to Scripture for how to deal with each other, with our own emotions and reactions, and day by day, we are slowly conformed to His image.

Let me see. Might be because you spend 24 hrs a day 7 days a week 365 days a week together. Even Jesus took a 40 day break you know.

*We reach our hands to those around us, with our children, and “pure religion†becomes part of them.

Is that like a Mexican Holy Wave?

*Even in the most uneventful of moments, we point to creation and marvel, with our children, at the immense brilliance and imagination of our Creator, and we remind them that they, too, are a product of that brilliance, fearfully and wonderfully made. We teach them of their purpose in life and show them how they can use all the faculties of their being to glorify the One for whom they have been made.

Well they can use the 'faculties' you deem appropriate. Not ALL the potential they were born with.

What Did Jesus Do?

We, in essence, follow our perfect example. He walked, and talked, and taught, and lived and prayed and was always about His father’s business and all of it was pure discipleship. And His few, close disciples went on to start a fire that changed the world. That’s our goal.

What is evangelism if it doesn’t start with being faithful to fervently disciple our own children? Home: the center of the gospel that grows and burns and spills out to the world.

Looky a majorly earth shattering profound final paragraph that says.....Not sure. Will she stop at 12? Is she Jesus? Arsonist? :think:

From part 5: homeschooling

Until around the 1830′s, people understood the importance of freedom in education and contrary to what some believe, literacy rates were extremely high. Parents took responsibility for educating their children (and more importantly, helping them to become self-educators) and/or found someone they trusted to assist them.

This is, not surprisingly, not true. Her definition of "what some believe" can be translated into "historians and other experts in the field". A very quick search reveals US army and census data showing literacy rates of about 40% in 1830 for white males (it was 5% for African Americans). These rates rose to close to 90% (for whites) by the close of the century because of the public school system. Data from England are very similar except that the starting literacy rates were higher. If you actually go so far as to define "functional literacy" as "the skills that everyone in this society must learn if they are to have any possible chance at decent jobs and fair treatment and protection" then rates were a lot lower and I think we can say that many SOTDRT graduates would qualify in today's jobmarket.

Before a free public school system, most people were homeschooled because it was all they could afford, not because it was better! Shockingly enough, when a free public school system was started, most parents saw it as a GOOD thing.

Teeny tiny little things like facts, statistics and history don't matter to 2 Chicken breast Kelly :naughty:

Marriage Is Meant for Making Children

I call bullshit. If I recall my Bible stories correctly, God made Eve so Adam wouldn't be lonely. My conclusion would be that marriage was meant to be a partnership between two people for companionship, etc. But then again, I am not Kelly/God - so what would I know.

I've just been reading "Albion's Seed," which is a historical account of the different waves of immigration to the colonial US from different areas of England, and how that affected US culture. Relevant to this post is the fact that it was common in many places in England to send children out to be raised by others. They were put to work or apprenticed, and whatever the master chose to teach them was what they learned. There was none of this 24/7 Bible-teaching by Mum and Dad. Oh, also, since literacy for girls was not a high priority, that's half of all children who had a lesser chance of ever learning to read. It was actually thought to be healthier for children to be sent out to be raised in other households, because parents might be too indulgent with them. Strangers could whip them into shape more effectively.

Other educational options for poor children at a later date included being put to work in mines and factories, sent out to beg, or for girls, being put in service in a rich household, where they were often assaulted by the masters or by fellow servants. Or they could be sold into prostitution outright.

Interestingly, in the colonial US, Quakers were the most likely to keep their children at home. And they didn't believe in corporal punishment, either! No wonder they were denounced as heretics!

I detest Kelly because I don't think she ever even tries to learn what the facts are or were. She just makes this stuff up as she goes along. For those who want some fascinating true stories, I highly recommend "Albion's Seed" by David Hackett Fisher. It's full of juicy quotes from original sources. It would be hilarious to make Kelly read it and find out for herself what these wonderful elders of yesteryear were really like.

I've just been reading "Albion's Seed," which is a historical account of the different waves of immigration to the colonial US from different areas of England, and how that affected US culture. Relevant to this post is the fact that it was common in many places in England to send children out to be raised by others. They were put to work or apprenticed, and whatever the master chose to teach them was what they learned. There was none of this 24/7 Bible-teaching by Mum and Dad. Oh, also, since literacy for girls was not a high priority, that's half of all children who had a lesser chance of ever learning to read. It was actually thought to be healthier for children to be sent out to be raised in other households, because parents might be too indulgent with them. Strangers could whip them into shape more effectively.

Other educational options for poor children at a later date included being put to work in mines and factories, sent out to beg, or for girls, being put in service in a rich household, where they were often assaulted by the masters or by fellow servants. Or they could be sold into prostitution outright.

Interestingly, in the colonial US, Quakers were the most likely to keep their children at home. And they didn't believe in corporal punishment, either! No wonder they were denounced as heretics!

I detest Kelly because I don't think she ever even tries to learn what the facts are or were. She just makes this stuff up as she goes along. For those who want some fascinating true stories, I highly recommend "Albion's Seed" by David Hackett Fisher. It's full of juicy quotes from original sources. It would be hilarious to make Kelly read it and find out for herself what these wonderful elders of yesteryear were really like.

Thanks for the recommendation, as a Brit I am fascinated by US colonial history.

(From the beginning of time until only a few hundred years ago, it was ludicrous to think children could adequately prepare for life (much less be discipled) by spending most of their day with peers or anyone else besides the older generation; it was considered the only logical setting in which to pass down the wisdom and education that prepares for life.)

Hmm, and here I thought kids went to public school to be taught by qualified teachers. That's certainly what I remember from my experiences, but I guess they really just go there to hang out with friends all day! I was certainly never instructed by grandparents, aunts/uncles, pastors, sunday school teachers, police officers or other community leaders outside of school either. It really makes waaaayy more sense to learn only from your parents and the occasional like-minded friend or family member :roll:

Here's a novel idea, Kelly:

Try popping out food for yiour kids, instead of bible verses or more mouths to feed,

:text-bravo: True that

I call bullshit. If I recall my Bible stories correctly, God made Eve so Adam wouldn't be lonely. My conclusion would be that marriage was meant to be a partnership between two people for companionship, etc. But then again, I am not Kelly/God - so what would I know.

So once she reaches menopause women should be abandoned so as not to tie up a nice man with jesus following sperm?

It really makes waaaayy more sense to learn only from your parents and the occasional like-minded friend or family member :roll:

Or just learn to self-teach you...

OT: One of my favorite favorite books, and I recommend it to everyone here - you will find the chapter on how Puritans viewed marriage esp'ly fascinating.

Thanks for the recommendation, as a Brit I am fascinated by US colonial history.

I would recommend Albion's Seed, too. It was required reading for a course on pre-Revolutionary history I took at my community college some years ago. It's now on my bookshelf as a much-thumbed-through reference.

Hmm, and here I thought kids went to public school to be taught by qualified teachers. That's certainly what I remember from my experiences, but I guess they really just go there to hang out with friends all day! I was certainly never instructed by grandparents, aunts/uncles, pastors, sunday school teachers, police officers or other community leaders outside of school either. It really makes waaaayy more sense to learn only from your parents and the occasional like-minded friend or family member :roll:

These fundies never address the issue of homeschooling older kids. Early curriculum (I didn't say education) can be taught by an interested reasonably literate person but what about older kids?

I taught high school kids for twenty five years, initially in social sciences, later in computing. In common with fellow staff I dreaded getting an extra (substitution) in a subject well out of my area because I simply couldn't help the kids with their work. I could make a decent stab at English but heaven help me in maths or science beyond about year 8!

The fundie homeschoolers make vague references to 'self-directed' and 'independent' learning which is nothing but bullshit. The fact is that no one person is going to have sufficient knowledge and skill in every subject that they will be able to teach the entire curriculum. I don't care how much God is convicting them -- not every person can teach.

I think that just about anyone who has the time--not just time to teach, but time to prepare--and access to good textbooks and other resources can teach through 8th grade. High school is a whole other bag of rocks!

My plan is either to send the kids to the public high school or, if the issues that prompted me to homeschool are still unresolved, enter them into the high school/college course partnership program at 14. I know a young man who did this. He has transferrable college credits at age 17!

From the comments

Kelly-

God truly uses you as a vessel to impart His wisdom onto others! I can’t even begin to tell you how VERY badly I needed to hear (read) this message today!

Recently we lost our home to foreclosure and as a result had to move into a rental home. I had been very into animal rescue – having 8 cats/kittens & 2 dogs that I was finding homes for. Our new landlord is not animal friendly, which i can certainly understand, but it most definitely put me into a “spotâ€. I had to part with almost all of the animals – keeping only one dog & 2 cats that are all nearing the end of their lives and I just couldn’t bear to part with them when I knew they would quite possibly just be put to sleep due to their advanced years. Thankfully God provided for each one that needed a home – with the last one going to my mother the day we moved. I have felt so lost without being able to rescue & work with animals like I have in the past. My DH worked things out so that the landlord allowed me to keep the animals I couldn’t bear to part with….thankfully.

I had thought that maybe this would be a good time to just focus on the family and maybe restart my working from home to help make a little extra cash to help make ends meet. But even the thought of that wasn’t “enough†to make me feel like I was doing the “right†thing. Then I read this blog posting and it finally *clicked*….my heart was in the right place but my focus was w-a-y off base. FINALLY I realize why I have been feeling this way. FINALLY I realize that my purpose is simply to be with my kids and focus on them. Making sure they have the love, education, and learn more about God’s love everyday – so that one day they can make the most important decision of their lives….to follow Christ.

Thank you SO much! Blessings to you & yours…and Happy Valentine’s Day!

:shock: It was not until the last paragraph I realised she had children. I thought she was going to homeschool the animals :lol:

:shock: It was not until the last paragraph I realised she had children. I thought she was going to homeschool the animals :lol:

If only those people could stick to animals... (Not saying Kelly should even have responsibility over a pet, considering the elecricity fence she used for their family dog. Not to forget the likelihood of her dog starving just like her

human children.)

Archived