IGNORED

Mom of 9 doesn't believe in spanking

dairyfreelife

faithfulmomof9.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/why-i-dont-believe-in-spanking/

Bit surprised, but glad to hear it.

I had always been vehemently opposed to any kind of violence being inflicted upon a child including spankings. As I began hanging around other young Christian mothers, I was shocked to discover that they hit their children as a form of discipline. In fact, they encouraged me to spank my children also. When I made it known that I didn’t believe in spanking, the other mothers were quick to enlighten me on the subject of Biblical discipline.

My new Christian friends proceeded to inform me that If I loved my children and wanted to be a good Christian mom that I HAD to spank them. Indeed, I was told if I did not spank my children that I would be sinning.

I convinced myself that to be a good Christian and a good mother I needed to discipline my children with spankings. Yet still, the thought of hitting or spanking my children literally sickened me.

I am sorry my fellow Christ followers who believe in spanking your children. Think what you may about me, but I do not believe that my God wants me to spank my children

And I bet her children will grow up to be well behaved, and also be more confident, less violent (cause seriously, how do you spank and teach a kid not to hit other kids) and less robot like than the kids who were spanked.

Its good to see a fundie family (although actually, looking round her blog, she doesnt seem properly fundie) where kids arent spanked.

fundies are not the borg :lol: .they don't all believe the exact same thing or follow the exact same teaching.

But but they all think they know and follow the truth how can that be unless they all think the same????

I do think some of the less hardcore fundies don't spank their kids. When Lyndside had her blog up, I always had some kind of feeling that she didn't plan to spank her kids.

fundies are not the borg :lol: .they don't all believe the exact same thing or follow the exact same teaching.

Obviously. But she claims she was told to spank and was sinning if she did not do so. She also links up to very fundie bloggers who do admit it. She is giving good reasons to not spank, which I think could hopefully have some influence on bloggers who do to rethink their position, I hope.

Obviously. But she claims she was told to spank and was sinning if she did not do so. She also links up to very fundie bloggers who do admit it. She is giving good reasons to not spank, which I think could hopefully have some influence on bloggers who do to rethink their position, I hope.

I'm also hoping that happens

One year ago, I left my church and the playgroup affiliated with it, due to "smacking" differences. They flat out refuse to even listen to any biblical evidence and we always ended in arguments.

I found a really great "essay" some years ago, when I was researching Christians, Smacking and Discipline. Although some of the other stuff on her site is questionable for me (vax, politics etc), and she does seem very fundie, I did find her christian views on discipline, crying it out, breastfeeding etc to be really well researched.

parentingfreedom.com/discipline/

I also enjoy the Gentle Christian Mothers forum.

I have some friends, who might be considered quiverfull, but here in Australia, it doesn't seem so "hardcore", her husband has dreads, they have 7 kids, but the oldest, 3 girls, are shorts wearing, boyfriend dating.... But she also does not hit her kids, and got me involved with Non Violent Parenting.

This blogger seems really nice. Her daughter suffered from a debilitating brain tumor at age 2 and is autistic as a result. That family has been through a lot.

She has a degree and professes the following on her blog:

Welcome to my humble blog! First and foremost I am a follower of Jesus, but please don’t put me in the typical Christian box or confuse me with a homophobe or crazy abortion clinic bomber! I believe that Jesus loves everyone and commands us to treat everyone regardless of their race, religion, skin color, social class, abilities, disabilities, convictions, opinions, choices, lifestyle, sexual preference, or sexual identity with love , kindness, and respect! It is my prayer that this blog reflects the love of and hope that I have in Jesus!

Not saying that she'll go on a pro-gay march anytime soon but I think her gentle nature and life experiences make her a lot more open-minded than many a fundie. I wish her and her family the very best.

Archived