IGNORED

Yair Lapid speech to Haredim re their roles

2xx1xy1JD

http://koshertube.com/videos/index.php? ... k&id=14301

The video has subtitles in English.

The context is Yair Lapid, leader of a secular, center-left party in Israel and son of a left-wing Israeli politician, speaking to an ultra-Orthodox audience. He starts the speech by saying "you won". He then goes on to talk about what this means: how secular Israelis will be more inclined to act in their own "tribal" interests instead of focusing on the country as a whole, and what the ultra-Orthodox will need to do if they want to truly have an impact on the whole country instead of just advocating their own interests.

Although this is obviously in an Israeli context, it's interesting food for thought for an American fundie POV as well. We've talked about isolationist and counter-cultural trends among the hard-core Dominionists - the irony is that if they are successful, they will need to give that up.

Thoughts?

I cant watch the whole thing, but it does strike a chord in the obvious relation to the right wing republican party vs the secular world here in the US. A theocracy doesnt work, that goes for both the US and Israel. Someone needs to work on the sabbath and holidays to keep the country safe. Someone needs to keep the power on, direct traffic, etc. You cannot govern from the bible because it does not allow for a functional society in today's technological and unsafe world.

So, as far as the Heredi goes - who among them will come to a special session on saturday afternoon? Who will miss a fast day because Iran is threatening? You cant hide under the covers when you're in charge...

I cant watch the whole thing, but it does strike a chord in the obvious relation to the right wing republican party vs the secular world here in the US. A theocracy doesnt work, that goes for both the US and Israel. Someone needs to work on the sabbath and holidays to keep the country safe. Someone needs to keep the power on, direct traffic, etc. You cannot govern from the bible because it does not allow for a functional society in today's technological and unsafe world.

So, as far as the Heredi goes - who among them will come to a special session on saturday afternoon? Who will miss a fast day because Iran is threatening? You cant hide under the covers when you're in charge...

For some of these questions, the answer is "pikuach nefesh" - the Jewish principle that saving a life comes before most other commandments. The Yom Kippur War made it pretty obvious why the army still needs to be on standby even on the holiest days of the year.

I truly hope he will fulfill the mountain of promises that got him elected. Basically, what he has to offer is "no more". For Israeli non-orthodox middle class, he symbolizes freedom from paying taxes and serving in the military while Haredim get preferential treatment simply because they pressure and guilt-trip the government.

His father was a poor immigrant and a staunch atheist and anti-religious (anti-religion?). Just to clarify, Yair is nothing but middle class. He's been a media persona for many years, his wife is a writer and photographer who works for the largest publication in Israel, and I can assume he is not struggling to pay his mortgage. But he has the down-to-earth allure, which elitist Netanyahu and his wife just can't pull off. Mrs. Netanyahu comes across as nouveau-riche, self-important and entitled. Mrs. Lapid actually corresponds with my MIL, and Yair Lapid works out at the same gym as my dad.

Most of the negotiation with the Haredim until now has been purely emotional. Let's hope Yair Lapid can deliver the goods and disentangle their right to practice religion as they see fit from the Israeli budget.

(I've been out of Israel for almost 10 years now, how am I so involved?)

It was a good video and an insightful speech. But 2xx, I think you've nailed it here: if Dominionism in America wants to become mainstream, they will have to become... well, more mainstream. This mainstreaming tends to be the downfall of many a radical group and I don't think it doesn't necessarily need to be different for Dominionists. Unless they are so strongly wedded to the powers that be in the Republican Party and powerful interest groups.

Archived