IGNORED

Looks like 2012 was especially bad for the JWs

Seven Severn

Just one damn thing after another. watchtowerwatch.com/blog/2012-bad-year-for-watchtower

On Saturday afternoon, just before that day’s sessions ended, a new DVD was released to the attendees. Designed for children under ten years old, the “Become Jehovah’s Friend: Listen, Obey, and Be Blessed†DVD contained three cartoon segments. Governing Body member Anthony Morris III introduces two very short animated films that feature Caleb, a little boy of undetermined age. The animation is in the style of Disney’s “Toy Story†films. The point of both cartoons seems to intend to cripple critical thinking and reasoning by children. One story shows Caleb goaded by his mother into throwing away a plastic toy wizard named “Sparlock†given to him by a friend. Why? “Jehovah hates it and it makes Him sad.†The other cartoon segment focused on obeying parents and what might happen to a child if they disobey. The last part is a Kingdom Song sung by a children’s choir illustrated in a style similar to cheaply made 1950s TV cartoons.

Within hours of its release, all three segments were on display on several YouTube.com locations. Within a week, dozens of satirical versions were online and Watchtower critics worldwide were adding “Sparlock†to their screen names. There were “Sparlock†T-shirts, videos, blogs, and even a comic book or two. Before the second week of district assemblies began, Sparlock and the new DVD video had spread around the world. In spite of that fact, for the next several weeks, Jehovah’s Witnesses attending the assemblies acted like they had never heard of the DVD and vigorously applauded when they heard an announcement about its release.

Ok, I'll admit that JW arent usually on my snark radar, but HOW DID WE MISS THIS and we need to find it!

Go you YouTube and search for Sparlock.

ETA: Cripes! There's even a Downfall! Off to watch!

Can you put the "greatest hits" here? I cant figure out which is the original one and which are good remakes. :D

Can you put the "greatest hits" here? I cant figure out which is the original one and which are good remakes. :D

The JWs had the originals taken down.

Here's the origin story:

Here's the Sparlock video:

As usual, fundies of whatever ilk seem to misunderstand the difference between fact and fiction and to act as if Harry Potter and toy wizarrds are really magical. I suppose it's because their faith is so primitive that they worry that saying "magic doesn't exist" would automatically lead to rejection of religion of any kind.

That is just sad, especially compared to this article which is the opposite http://www.janetlansbury.com/2012/08/are-you-putting-the-kibosh-on-creativity/

... but children don’t need fancy stuff, or much stuff at all, to be able to:

Express thoughts, feelings, unique points of view

Experiment (the very best way to learn)

Experience freedom and autonomy (which generally makes children much more amenable to the limits and directions they need us to give them).

Focus for an extended period

Build confidence and develop a sense of self

To encourage creativity we must let go of results and recognize the imbalance of power that occurs when we assist our children. Our well-intentioned impulses to make it just a little better usually end up ruining everything

No time to watch the videos now, promise I'll get back to them ! Thanks ! One of the first religions that I realized was actually a cult was the JWs.

As long as we are on the subject, and before I forget to mention it, here's a little tidbit that I know about the Witnesses : If they bother you by coming to your door too often, you can ask to be put on their " Do not call on" list, and their visits will stop. ( Until, apparently, one of more of your house numbers come off of your mailbox....then they will pounce. ) ( We had our numbers back up quickly ~ not because we were afraid our house would catch on fire and the fire department wouldn't be able to find us, but because we didn't want to have to deal with any more JW visitors, lol, no lie.)

No time to watch the videos now, promise I'll get back to them ! Thanks ! One of the first religions that I realized was actually a cult was the JWs.

As long as we are on the subject, and before I forget to mention it, here's a little tidbit that I know about the Witnesses : If they bother you by coming to your door too often, you can ask to be put on their " Do not call on" list, and their visits will stop. ( Until, apparently, one of more of your house numbers come off of your mailbox....then they will pounce. ) ( We had our numbers back up quickly ~ not because we were afraid our house would catch on fire and the fire department wouldn't be able to find us, but because we didn't want to have to deal with any more JW visitors, lol, no lie.)

It took several times of me threatening them with calling the police for trespassing, as they would come once a month. Now they come every other month. I don't think that this is true in all areas.

I'm not a Bible thumper by any stretch of the imagination, but what worked for me was sweetly asking them in my house and offering to tell them about my Jesus. Shit was flipped and they split. Never had any more visits in the 2 years we lived in that house. I still giggle about it.

Ah, the JW's. Because of them I couldn't join the Girl Scouts or have He-Man toys.

Who wants to talk about how organ transplants were considered on the same level as blood transfusions (DEATH IS PREFERABLE!)...until someone high up needed one, and then they were super A-OK!

As usual, fundies of whatever ilk seem to misunderstand the difference between fact and fiction and to act as if Harry Potter and toy wizarrds are really magical. I suppose it's because their faith is so primitive that they worry that saying "magic doesn't exist" would automatically lead to rejection of religion of any kind.

I've always found this strange as well. If you have a firm belief in God, what is your concern about silly things like Harry Potter- I mean they know Hogwarts isn't real , right ???

You especially need to click through the original link and find the video where the JWs tell deaf people in sign language Jehovah's views on masturbation. Guess how you sign masturbation !!!! :lol:

It took several times of me threatening them with calling the police for trespassing, as they would come once a month. Now they come every other month. I don't think that this is true in all areas.

It is true, but the is you have to use exactly the right words. Then I think in some areas you can file a suit against them or something. I know threatening them never worked, but using exactly the words "I want to be put on your 'Do not Knock' list" was the only thing that worked. I found out about it on accident after we discoverd our Morman neighbors discovered we were on a "Do Not Knock" list, with JW, Baptists and Mormans all knocking I was thrilled to see it work. Though it only works for about 6 months to one year, since they check to see if you "moved" or "change your mind". But it did work for us in three cities.

I have to say JW and Mormans to a lesser extent really opened my eyes as a kid to the weirdness of some religions, it even opened my eyes to the weirdness of my family religion, guess that is why I checked out of Christianity pretty much in elementary school despite going to religious school. None of it made any damn sense to me.

Archived