IGNORED

Magdalene survivors want apology from church and state

FairyPrincessK

They bloody well do deserve an abject apology from the state. What Magdalene did was terrible.

They better get it. And it's not enough to apologize just for what happened to them the state and the Church need to apologize for their role in everything as well. I won't hold my breath though.

How did I miss the Church out of my other post? That should have read the Church and the State.

I'm not holding my breath either.

Besides apologies from both Church and State, the remaining survivors should be compensated. All of them are very old at this point, and the least that the Church/State can do is enable them to live out their last years in comfort.

And the last laundry didn't close until 1996!!

No shit! I freaked when I found that out. I thought maybe the last one closed in the 1960s. 1996? That wasn't even twenty years ago! I can't even fathom the generations of young women Magdalene tormented and destroyed with their abuse.

And has anyone seen the movie "The Magdalene Sisters?" It's very disturbing, but I highly recommend it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/magdalene_sisters/

If the fundies had their way, I bet they'd want to bring back the Magdalene Laundries.

No shit! I freaked when I found that out. I thought maybe the last one closed in the 1960s. 1996? That wasn't even twenty years ago! I can't even fathom the generations of young women Magdalene tormented and destroyed with their abuse.

And has anyone seen the movie "The Magdalene Sisters?" It's very disturbing, but I highly recommend it.

If the fundies had their way, I bet they'd want to bring back the Magdalene Laundries.

That was one of the most disturbing films I've ever watched. I had to keep stopping it because it made me so sad and angry. I just can't fathom what it must have been like for those poor women.

i watched that film and its very sad, i cried a lot :cry:

That was one of the most disturbing films I've ever watched. I had to keep stopping it because it made me so sad and angry. I just can't fathom what it must have been like for those poor women.

It was on the BBC (?) a couple of years ago and my parents watched it, I only watched some of the beginning and couldn't stomach anymore. I remember the scene where the nuns made them strip naked and run on the spot, they then picked the "fattest" and "hairiest.":( (I don't know if the nuns really did that or if it was just for the film, but it has haunted me ever since.) I just can't understand how parents didn't seem to love their daughters unconditionally. Like (Heaven forbid) I was raped, my parents would have never sent me to somewhere like that, they would fight for me. I guess the only positive thing is that they have all been closed. You're right GolightlyGrrl, it was all about slut-shaming and victim blaming.

The survivors deserve an apology at the very least! Does anyone know what happened to the nuns in the laundries?

I remember the scene where the nuns made them strip naked and run on the spot, they then picked the "fattest" and "hairiest.":( (I don't know if the nuns really did that or if it was just for the film, but it has haunted me ever since.)

The DVD has interviews with women who lived there, and according to them, yes, that happened. And more. It wasn't just "slut-shaming'--some women were put there just because they were pretty, or very social, and thus were in danger of becoming sluts someday--maybe. The Church had a firm grip on the families and it was the Irish Catholic version of saving family honor--not quite the mercy killings of some Middle Easterners, but coming close. Saving the girl's "immortal soul" and the family status in the eyes of the Church was much more important than anything else.

Aside from tormenting and torturing women, these hellholes were the source of all the Irish babies adopted in the US (and elsewhere?) from at least the 1950s on. They were not orphans and they were not surrendered voluntarily. Pure human trafficking.

I can only hope they get an apology from one of Ireland's greatest shames - it will never give them back what they lost, but it's a step. Cannot even imagine the horror.

And the last laundry didn't close until 1996!!

I know. That's fucking terrible. Like several other posters here have mentioned already, however, I won't be holding my breath in waiting for those women to see an apology. (On a related note, the people of Calcutta aren't holding their collective breath either.)

The then government used the Catholic Church to essentially run these prisons for "fallen women" and keep them locked up. Slave labour. The worst part is that the public assumed that the nuns were great for helping these poor unfortunates and giving them jobs and a place to live. Little did they know they were never paid one penny and accommodated like cattle and institutionalised. It wasn't just in married mothers. Lots of girls were placed there straight from orphanages and industrial schools. It all boils down to poverty. Only the poorest women and girls went to these hell holes.

So I finally saw the movie and was horrified all over again. How on earth could this have happened? I really hope they get their apology, soon!

It's yet another 'How awful but not really surprising' moment. The really baffling thing for me is how the Catholic church continues to control 92% of state funded schools in Ireland, has its call to prayer broadcast twice daily on national TV and radio and how 84% of people still self identify as Catholic. I guess the rape, abuse, financial control and asset stripping done in the name of god doesn't bother a lot of people in Ireland.

It's yet another 'How awful but not really surprising' moment. The really baffling thing for me is how the Catholic church continues to control 92% of state funded schools in Ireland, has its call to prayer broadcast twice daily on national TV and radio and how 84% of people still self identify as Catholic. I guess the rape, abuse, financial control and asset stripping done in the name of god doesn't bother a lot of people in Ireland.

Could be a case of religious Stockholm syndrome. :?

Could be a case of religious Stockholm syndrome. :?

It's very hard to let go of parts of your faith, especially when it's been drummed into you from birth by your family, let alone from all sides like in Ireland. Imagine the pressure! Not at all surprised that a lot of people identify even if they don't practice.

It's very hard to let go of parts of your faith, especially when it's been drummed into you from birth by your family, let alone from all sides like in Ireland. Imagine the pressure! Not at all surprised that a lot of people identify even if they don't practice.

Exactly. Identify but don't practice. The vast majority are cafeteria Catholics and hold onto the cultural aspects they like, like first communion, weddings, baptism and most of these cafeteria Catholics (like myself) are happy that school is teaching their kids a (tiny) bit of religion because, frankly, they're ill equipped or just not that bothered. My niece goes to an Educate Together (secular) school and more than half the kids in the class are taking after-school religious studies to prepare for first holy communion.

84% self identify. SELF identify. There is still an appetite for some religion here.

I was astonished to read this article showing that Magdalene Laundries run by the Good Shepherd Sisters existed in the U.S. too, and all the same horrible abuses took place there as in Ireland.

'>http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/heart-without-compromise-children-and-children-wit/2013/feb/9/magdalene-laundries-american-survivor-speaks-out/

Then there are the Hephzibah Houses and other facilities run by non-Catholic churches--also coercive, abusive, and unsupervised. Constitutional rights apparently don't apply to children as long as the facility is religious. Churches should not have special rights to operate youth homes that have no reasonable oversight and no way for the inmates to get free or bring abuses to the attention of authorities.

• 2 weeks later...

if you have not already seen it look for SEX IN A COLD CLIMATE on youtube ... its heartbreaking ... the magdalene women telling their stories , its hard to watch . i grew up near a laundry , the last one to close was just of dublins main street , imagine what went on and we never knew, so very very sad

RTE also has a radio documentary- when I am near a real keyboard Ill post the link- and listened to it with an auntie who currently lives in the South. A lifelong Irish lady mind you, and devout Catholic,was turning purple and asking "How can this happen? Those evil bastards.....I remember those nuns and their cruelty and my mum and dad never did anything. If nun did it you must have deserved it"

What happened next stunned me. She sat up tall and said " Why didn't they do anything? Why didn't they tell? They must not have hated it so much."

I pointed out she just wanted to blame them for what happened to them, just like her parents did. She slumped and nodded.

Here we go, linky dinks:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/radio ... alway.html

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/radio ... -door.html

I am still mulling and absorbing the tragedy of Savita Hallapavanar, and the fantastic burning of the Cork Magdalene laundry in the same week.

Sad thing is, a friend who lives in Cork saw the burning, and did not know what it was. She just thought it was a convent her whole life... only when it hit the news as arson did it become publicly identified as a Magdalene home. So many existed so close to it their whole lives and had no idea what it was.

I find it enthralling to walk around and see the old seminaries and convents for sale. I am sad for the history lost- but happy to see that church bled dry. May they sell some gold candlesticks for the last of the Magdalenes.

I would like to set the record straight on one thing though- the last known Magdalenes that lived into the 1990's were cognitively disabled and wanted to stay where they were. IIRC they were given the option to go into a home and they refused.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0220/368638-maglalene-report-government/

Well, it looks like the government issued a genuine apology and will have some sort of compensation scheme. Now we are just waiting for one from the church, I won't be holding my breath.

I do hope there is an order to track down the children from women who wish to find them. THere is an entire generation of Irish children 'adopted' (read:sold) out of the Magdalenes to America. They are walking around with no clue they hold Irish citizenship.

Archived