IGNORED

Enraged - hope some fundies learn from this death

longskirtlotsakids

God damn it all to hell. Really.

This isn't fundy material,but is relavant to the corporal punishment practice of using spicy foods as a punishment.

If you have to HURT a child to teach it to behave, may I suggest you not care for one. Or twenty. Or however fucking many, because horrible tragedies like this happen.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?id=894 ... onal_world

Rest in peace, you poor sweet baby. I hope your murderer never sleeps a full night again.

Wait - you can go into seizures from too much chili powder? Because while I would never consider this an appropriate form of punishment, I have to say, if I did I wouldn't consider it possibly fatal either. Well, except now I guess I would.

My roommate's mom used to make her and her brother drink tabasco sauce (like, big gulps of it) as a punishment. She couldn't figure out why I was so shocked about it. To me, any punishment involving food is positively barbaric.

Holding children in the smoke from burning chilli peppers is a punishment recorded in some of the Aztec codices - five hundred years ago. In the pictures, you can see the tears on the child's face.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Thats awful. Why would you do such a thing to a child. There are way better ways to teach a child how to behave which arent painful and cant kill them. Unless you are some sort of sick weirdo, wouldnt you choose the non violent options first because you love your kids too much to hurt them?

Ugh. I've always found the "creative" abuse the sickest. Who THINKS of that?

Lisa Whelchel, after all, she wrote the book, "Creative Correction." :barf:

Lisa Whelchel, after all, she wrote the book, "Creative Correction." :barf:

WHAT. BRB, weeping for humanity.

Guest Anonymous

I don't think the question is WHO would do this (because obviously people do it and we hear about it) but WHY would they do it.

If people feel the need to do this to children, then they never should have had them in the first place. That goes for giving birth as well as adoption.

If people feel the need to do this to children, then they never should have had them in the first place. That goes for giving birth as well as adoption.

This poor little 2 year old was killed by her fathers girlfriend. More often than not, these cases seem to be "Mothers boyfriend kills infant" etc. It seems less common for girlfriends to hurt/injure their boyfriends chikdren.

In any case, peope need to be soooo careful when choosing a new partner, and take into account the needs of their young child/ren.

This poor little 2 year old was killed by her fathers girlfriend. More often than not, these cases seem to be "Mothers boyfriend kills infant" etc. It seems less common for girlfriends to hurt/injure their boyfriends children.

In any case, people need to be soooo careful when choosing a new partner, and take into account the needs of their young child/ren.

So incredibly true. I have read that the single most dangerous home situation for a child is living with one biological parent and one non-biological parent/parent figure. I can't count how many times I've seen news stories--even local ones--about child abuse committed by the "mother's boyfriend."

This poor little 2 year old was killed by her fathers girlfriend. More often than not, these cases seem to be "Mothers boyfriend kills infant" etc. It seems less common for girlfriends to hurt/injure their boyfriends chikdren.

In any case, peope need to be soooo careful when choosing a new partner, and take into account the needs of their young child/ren.

There's a blog I follow that documents cases of child abuse in the news... the posts about children being killed by their mothers' boyfriends are almost always given titles to the effect of "Same Shit, Different Day." Those kinds of stories are depressingly common.

So incredibly true. I have read that the single most dangerous home situation for a child is living with one biological parent and one non-biological parent/parent figure. I can't count how many times I've seen news stories--even local ones--about child abuse committed by the "mother's boyfriend."

Yes, partners of parents are responsible for a disproportionate number of abuse cases. [There are also wonderful, loving step-parents, of course. I'm just making this comment based on my child protection caseload, and the fact that I had the opportunity to see the entire caseload for one child protection office for a year.]

In terms of male vs. female abusers - we had cases with both. I noticed a higher number of incidents with babies involved new male partners (who were more likely to get into a sudden rage with a crying baby), but OTOH new female partners were more likely to be given primary childcare responsibilities, so we would see a build up of frustration and mistreatment.

Wait - you can go into seizures from too much chili powder? Because while I would never consider this an appropriate form of punishment, I have to say, if I did I wouldn't consider it possibly fatal either. Well, except now I guess I would.

Perhaps she inhaled it rather than swallowed it? I read a couple of articles on the death but couldn't find a cause other the fact chili powder was involved. She was only two and I imagine she would have been struggling and possibly crying. (I would have been if someone was trying to force something strange into my mouth.) If she breathed in at the wrong moment she could have got a lung full of the stuff. Who knows how the body is going to react if it gets chili instead of air. That said, I have epilepsy and I know from experience that some really strange things can trigger seizures.

Archived