IGNORED

Finally, Ireland to introduce abortion legislation

Irishy

:banana-rainbow: :banana-blonde: :banana-stoner: :banana-tux: :character-beavisbutthead: :greetings-clappingorange::greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clapyellow: :happy-cheerleaderkid::happy-wavemulticolor::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-cheerleadersmileyguy::obscene-drinkingcheers::text-bravo:

I'm glad that poor woman's death wasn't for nothing (not that it should have taken an agonising and disgustingly preventable death for things to change.)

Glad to hear. Do you think there is any chance it will pass? I know thr Catholic Church doesn't have the death grip on the country like it had in past, but it's still pretty conservative Ina lot of areas.

I think it'll pass alright. It's only a toe in the water. When the life of the mother is in real and substantial danger. The main controversy is that suicide risk has been included. The pro lifers feel there is a lot of room for abuse there.

More like, the pro-lifers think mental illness is bullshit and that every woman should be overjoyed to be pregnant, because they're part of the miracle of life and being all Godly or whatever, and if they're suicidal all they need is to be told that God loves them. Because there is no such thing as depression, brain chemicals, or.hormones!

Maybe I'm projecting all of America's issues onto Ireland, but the controversy over including suicide risks in abortion legislation smacks of "keep sweet" to me.

Edited.because fuck you, autocorrect.

Nah, I don't think the pro lifers here throw God around much. They know that undermines them. Well, apart from the Catholic Church themselves of course. But Jesus-loves-you is a real evangelical Protestant thing. The Irish Catholics don't go on like that at all. There isn't much of a keep-sweet culture, even in the hard core legion of Mary types. That whole submissive woman thing is pretty alien here. At least on a conscious level.

The most notorious pro life group are Youth Defence. They have european fascist links and have a very bad rep

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mobilew ... 05316.html

No point in them worrying about the suicide clause, I am 99 per cent sure we have it over here, and it is really hard to get round, obviously, or else they wouldn't all be tripping off to England to get abortions.

Sorry I have to point out the fact that Father Ted has definitely made his presence known in this forum lol.

Just a historical aside, but historically Irish women have not been treated as women up on a pedestal. The Irish were one of the few immigrant groups in American history where more women immigrated then men. It was a cultural expectation for women to make their keep.

Does anyone know how this legislation is worded? Does is allow doctors and hospitals to provide abortions to women who seek them OR does it stop the prosecution of doctors who do abortions when the mother's life is in danger?

It is great news. However, I can see things having to be put on the long finger, debated endlessly and delayed. As I said in another thread I work in the Irish Parliament so I see at first hand how the sausages get made and it ain't pretty. Two members of parliament I'm in contact with have already said they won't vote in favour of even the very, very narrow circumstances of risk to the LIFE of the mother, not even her health being at risk, because they are practising Catholics. The anti abortion campaign is vocal, militant, well funded and has already started foot stamping on the issue, with their blatent disregard for women's rights couched in phrases such as 'women deserve better' and 'Ireland has amazing maternal health care'.

The Bill has yet to be published, so we have no information on its exact provisions.

Oh, Irish women have been a stereotype all their own, that's for sure

I hate to generalise, but it's the old madonna/whore image. On one hand, Mummy is a saint who keeps the family together and budgets the toilet paper, while giving birth and clouting the rubbish husband around the head. Before going to mass ofc.

On the other, she's still not allowed control over her own body, and up until relatively recently, was screwed if she had illegitimate kids.

But it's ok cause Father Ted will fix it. that money was just *resting* in the account :lol:

I'm not a fascist, I'm a priest. Fascists dress all in black and tell people what to do whereas priests.....

Are sexy.

I have a confession to make. We were at the graveyard a while back visiting OH family grave.

Then we went over to the shrine and lit 3 candles

AND DIDN'T PAY FOR THEM!

There was no bolt of lightening :lol:

Archived