IGNORED

Will this be a wake up call?

tanksmom

A part of me wonders if there is anything that will get through to the people who cling onto their guns for dear life. Not breaking the links since they are news reports.

Oklahoma student arrested for planning massacre

http://news.msn.com/us/okla-student-arr ... sacre-plot

Indiana man arrested for planning a school massacre

http://news.msn.com/us/ind-man-with-47- ... ool-threat

The sad thing is so many fundies will just use this news as a reason to homeschool, not to change the laws :(

I hope so, but I'm pretty cynical because I remember after Virginia Tech everyone just said 'it was the guy, not the gun' and that massacres shouldn't remove their right to a lethal weapon. Boggles my mind.

A part of me wonders if there is anything that will get through to the people who cling onto their guns for dear life. Not breaking the links since they are news reports.

Oklahoma student arrested for planning massacre

http://news.msn.com/us/okla-student-arr ... sacre-plot

Indiana man arrested for planning a school massacre

http://news.msn.com/us/ind-man-with-47- ... ool-threat

The sad thing is so many fundies will just use this news as a reason to homeschool, not to change the laws :(

Fundies don't give a damn about what happens to the rest of us. As long as their kids aren't in a school and they've got their guns, what's the problem? :(

The unstable people who are committing these acts don't care what they shoot up, they are after the headlines. While ZhuZhu and her ilk think that not sending their children to a public school will keep them safe they are mistaken. If all children are homeschooled they would shoot up another public place. The answer isn't hiding your family, the answer is better gun control. I will give kudos to CNN (news channel) however. They made an effort to not refer to the gunman in CT by name to avoid giving him notoriety he craved. I would rather people remember the names of the people who lost their lives then the person who caused it.

Well, all of the gun nuts on my FB feed are saying that this could be prevented by 1) kicking weird loner kids' asses to show them that their weirdness is unacceptable and 2) getting more guns. ("If all teachers were armed this would never happen!").

Of course people ought to know that a pistol is no match for a semi-automatic even if you're a great shot and the assailant is in range. I prefer not to have a bunch of armed teacher for a whole host of different reasons, but you'd think even pro gun people would think of this... You'd also think it would be relatively common to oppose automatic weapon ownership for average citizens, but people are too hung up on their gun obsession to think about these things.

No, it won't change a damn thing. This country has already proven it can tolerate the deaths of children if it means clinging to the fucking second amendment. Nothing is going to change that. Not until people decide the right of children to be safe in school overrides their rights to weapons designed for killing.

1) kicking weird loner kids' asses to show them that their weirdness is unacceptable

Really? People would actually say this? Do they not understand...anything?

Yeah. It was some fucked up status along the lines of "our parents's generation never had school shootings because people were allowed to kick weird loner kids' sorry asses" etc. etc. A fundie FB friend liked it so it showed up in my feed. She seems to have taken it down by now, but it was NINE THOUSAND likes when she posted it a couple of hours ago.

Probably because more violence is the clear answer to violence. YARGH.

Yeah. It was some fucked up status along the lines of "our parents's generation never had school shootings because people were allowed to kick weird loner kids' sorry asses" etc. etc. A fundie FB friend liked it so it showed up in my feed. She seems to have taken it down by now, but it was NINE THOUSAND likes when she posted it a couple of hours ago.

I guess the fucking idiots forgot about the UT clocktower mass shooting.

No, it won't change a damn thing. This country has already proven it can tolerate the deaths of children if it means clinging to the fucking second amendment. Nothing is going to change that. Not until people decide the right of children to be safe in school overrides their rights to weapons designed for killing.

:clap: Do you mind if I copy this to my fb?

And kicking the ass of a weird loner is certainly gonna make him, uh, less likely to harbor hateful feelings about his peers and not want to murder them. That makes sense.

:clap: Do you mind if I copy this to my fb?

Of course, feel free. I would post it myself, but I honestly don't want to deal with the inevitable shitstorm. I'm from Texas, so that would go over well.

I'm also very afraid it won't be. Look at all the pro-gun people jumping to touting how it's the shooters, not the guns!!!eleventy11!! and that we need to look at every factor except that of gun control in this (see fake Morgan Freeman quote going around facebook: " You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem.").

Assault weapons. Assault weapons FFS, capable of killing dozens in minutes. Even the tragedy in Newtown is apparently not enough for pro-gun people to see that the presence of those, at the very least, is a massive problem. If this isn't enough, I fear what would be enough.

I'm also very afraid it won't be. Look at all the pro-gun people jumping to touting how it's the shooters, not the guns!!!eleventy11!! and that we need to look at every factor except that of gun control in this (see fake Morgan Freeman quote going around facebook: " You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem.").

Assault weapons. Assault weapons FFS, capable of killing dozens in minutes. Even the tragedy in Newtown is apparently not enough for pro-gun people to see that the presence of those, at the very least, is a massive problem. If this isn't enough, I fear what would be enough.

Nothing will be. Because the answer is going to always, ALWAYS be "more guns more guns more guns". Maybe when every goddamn man woman and child in the country is constantly armed, and that doesn't stop shit like this from happening, MAYBE it will be enough. Doubt it though.

I seriously don't understand how people are stupid enough not to see that if you don't let someone have a gun in the first place then a shooting rampage won't happen to begin with.

Geniuses, yes you did. I think part of reason more and more of these keep happening is because news gives these assholes the fame they want, so they do copycat crimes (people who are already psychopaths in the first place, that is). The worst attack on a school was in Bath, MI in 1927 from the 20-21st centuries. This guy wasn't even a student, he had no reason to attack those innocent little children. Kicking "weird loner kids' asses" wouldn't have made a difference. Those little ones never did anything to this guy, had nothing to do with him whatsoever.

I posted this in one of the other threads, but I think it's relevant. There was another attack on a primary school on Friday, this one in China. A lone man entered the school and wounded 22 young children...with a knife. At the time of the article, some were still in critical condition, but all of them survived.

Yeah, you can say it's the attacker and not the gun, but look at the difference in outcome when the attacker doesn't have access to assault weapons :roll:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asi ... ?hpt=wo_c2

A friend's cousin responded to the tragedy by buying an assault rifle and posting picture of it on FB.

While I think there is no reason for anyone to privately own an assault weapon, the nuts are buying them in response. I don't think they'll ever get a wakeup call.

I posted this in one of the other threads, but I think it's relevant. There was another attack on a primary school on Friday, this one in China. A lone man entered the school and wounded 22 young children...with a knife. At the time of the article, some were still in critical condition, but all of them survived.

Yeah, you can say it's the attacker and not the gun, but look at the difference in outcome when the attacker doesn't have access to assault weapons :roll:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/asi ... ?hpt=wo_c2

I keep seeing people use the "guns don't kill, people do" and "anything can be a weapon" excuse instead of wanting to talk about gun control. The fact of the matter is these guns were purchased legally by his mother. For whatever reason he had access to them. And while a bat, knife, slingshot, stick, etc can be turned into a weapon it is impossible to kill a large number of people with those weapons in a short period of time. People want to cling onto their guns as a "right" and screw the people that are killed by them.

We already had an email sent out that my kids school will have at least 2 plain clothed police officers present for the foreseeable future. But you know your right to shoot someone totally trumps my kids rights not to be afraid of some nut shooting them.

I don't see the need for an assault rifle. I live in a state that loves to hunt. Lots of people own guns for such purposes. I know people who like to collect guns as well. None of them I know personally could I ever imagine doing such a thing. None have the desire to harm anyone with the guns (unless attacked or broke into their home as a defense). However, no one I know owns the most dangerous types of guns.

One problem I do worry about if guns are banned is the fact that there are so many of them available. I can definitely see people going underground and obtaining these weapons illegally. The access to dangerous weapons in the hands of people who are the most dangerous to society is unnerving. There's already a problem with the easy access to weapons and ways around current laws. People buy weapons for others, they buy them over the internet, they steal them, etc. All of those happened in school shooting cases. The Columbine shooters weren't even legally old enough to purchase some of their weapons, but still obtained them. Are guns dangerous? Absolutely. And many of the weapons have no purpose except to kill others. THey aren't good for hunting, so why have them? A handgun can't be used to hunt either and is small and easy to conceal unfortunately. Any reputable gun seller is required to do a background check before giving someone a weapon. To get a license, you must have a serious background check and some classes before being able to purchase a weapon in most cases (or at least it used to be here). But how can access to such dangerous weapons be stopped and to what extent should we ban them if we do?

I seriously don't understand how people are stupid enough not to see that if you don't let someone have a gun in the first place then a shooting rampage won't happen to begin with.

They say, well, they'd get the gun another way, or attack with something like a bomb. They'll make any excuse not to improve gun-related legislation in this country, public safety be damned.

Guest Anonymous

If they ban guns outright, can't they still just them from Mexico? You know, like drugs? In order for a gun ban to work in the U.S wouldn't you guys need really secure borders? isn't that impossible?

Looks like 'merica is simply fucked to me.

If they ban guns outright, can't they still just them from Mexico? You know, like drugs? In order for a gun ban to work in the U.S wouldn't you guys need really secure borders? isn't that impossible?

Looks like 'merica is simply fucked to me.

Please, and I mean this with all due respect (which isn't much), do us all a favor and fuck off.

Archived