IGNORED

If we allow homosexuality, then ducks will take over!

Alecto

Ancient Romans were an extremely intelligent people. We should stand in awe of their accomplishments with regard to their infrastructure.

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If homosexuals are allowed the same rights and freedom as everyone else, evolution will stop, which is bad even if I don't believe in evolution...

Homosexuality was practised in the Roman Empire, therefore it is wrong, even if my entire worldview is based on ideas pre-dating the Roman Empire...

Evolution is false, but ducks(!), possess the ability to evolve past mankind...

This girl should be on a debate team

This girl is on to something. The ducks are, indeed, enlightened. At least the Dutch ducks.

When I lived in Enschede, I almost never saw a female duck. I did see loads of pairs of beautiful mallards: two bright green heads cozily nesting together. My photo album is hilarious. It almost became a joke every time I passed a pond to try to find a female duck.

Also, we should shiver in fear at the thought of avian overlords. They will not be benevolent. I have three running my house right now, and the worst tyrant is the tiny one. She knows how to ask for what she wants using human speech. Bad. Idea.

Oh, I totally sympathise! I have nine avian overlords, and five of them use human speech. They learned "Get out!" from me telling the kitties to get out of the bird room, and they use it whenever I disturb them. I have no idea how they became so brilliant at picking up context, but they always use their words/phrases in context. One of my birds will bite you and then laugh and say "Good boy!" because he's so proud of himself. As soon as they see sunflower seeds they start to yell 'Want a treat?/'Give me a treat!'. They say hello to each other whenever one of them re-enters a room. They also know the cats' names and delight in calling the cats to confuse them. My 'second hand' Corella sometimes asks for cigarettes and 'a bit of a scratch'.

Interestingly, my male conures and quakers have paired up together in conure/quaker pairs (it's not unusual to see quakers mate with conures in the wild) and they act just like my male/female cockatiel couple; they preen each other, regurgitate for each other and snuggle up together. I know for sure they're all boys because they've been DNA sexed.

In short, if birds take over humanity is screwed. They are too damn smart.

Hee, I LOLed at 'I for one welcome our ____ overlords' - Simpsons reference!

I am going with either satire or a profound misunderstanding of the myriad sexual behaviors of the animal kingdom and their relevance to evolution. Rating species based on how "evolved" they are is usually based on intelligence. Scientists judge things like tool making ability and language use. You know, are they like humans or not? Cause of course we judge ourselves at the top of the evolved and intelligent ladder. Mating habits are not a part of that equation. Maybe because humans are not by nature, monogamous.

I just want to remind everyone that Donald Duck wears a sailor jacket and no pants, so it's not like we couldn't tell what was up.

This thread needed one more duck song.

If they weren't doing anything wrong, people wouldn't be shooting them. :D

If homosexuals are allowed the same rights and freedom as everyone else, evolution will stop, which is bad even if I don't believe in evolution...

Homosexuality was practised in the Roman Empire, therefore it is wrong, even if my entire worldview is based on ideas pre-dating the Roman Empire...

I wonder if she went to Chris Jeubs debate camp?

If they weren't doing anything wrong, people wouldn't be shooting them. :D

To take this thread even further down the stream of cross-references (not a duck, but it's what popped into my mind when reading the above):

LFd35.jpg

Back to ducks -- stupid parent moves are not limited to fundies and sparkling red-wearing people:

ntqyUbRYiOc

That poor baby. Two parents there and neither one of them with enough connected brain cells to see that coming.

I'm very excited to meet our future duck overlords.

As an aside, I imagine I would make a very good house pet for any duck overlords who are listening.

She could work with Arrogant Jeub!

Guest Anonymous

I thought this was a joke until a friend in NZ told me it's not. Can we have ducks in place of Romney, Ryan, Fuqua, Bachmann, Palin, and all the others including Limbaugh and Beck? They're smarter than those people.

Bow down to Lord Daffy. If she doesn't she's despicable!! I could not let that one go by without saying something snide.

That poor baby. Two parents there and neither one of them with enough connected brain cells to see that coming.

I'm actually surprised the ducks didn't mob the baby sooner, I expected them to swarm about the time she gave the baby the bread. And then she's saying "go away" to the ducks while holding out bread - who thought that would work?

I used to live next to a pond with ducks and witnessed a lot of mating behavior as a kid. I did not grow up thinking I needed to emulate ducks. :lol:

Maybe it's because we raised many of them as ducklings (so they didn't all get the wild duck upbringing), but I didn't notice them pairing up at all. They liked to hang out in a flock, and there was always one duck that was clearly awake and "on guard" at any given time, which I thought was interesting--how did they make that arrangement with bird brains? And during mating season it always seemed like a bunch of males would go after one female, and whoever caught up to her first started having sex and the rest would give up. I mean, technically there was only one possible paternity, but it didn't seem monogamous the way people assume monogamy=deep and abiding relationship, and it didn't always seem particularly consensual either. And I always assumed that they mated when I wasn't watching and weren't really monogamous, but I can't say I did a detailed analysis of who was having sex with whom as a kid. And the female ducks got hurt at a higher rate defending their nest of eggs from snakes and turtles, and would subsequently get eaten by foxes or dogs. (Which is why we kept having to raise ducklings ourselves--we kept running out of females.) So I always assumed males weren't that much help with "nesting" anyway.

There might have been some in-flock pairing that I didn't notice, and when ducklings were born they and the mom would go hide in the woods (the pond was too open for hawks, I think), and maybe the dad went too and I just didn't notice.

Bow down to Lord Daffy. If she doesn't she's despicable!! I could not let that one go by without saying something snide.

That's "deth-thpicable." And you must spit while saying it.

This is the prayer of worship to our duck overlords.

Archived