IGNORED

Sci Fi and Religion

Soldier of the One

Guest Anonymous
What about The Dark Matter Trilogy by Phillip Pullman? If that isn't anti church (magisterium) I don't know what is. I wish they could have expanded The Golden Compass movie to bring more of it out.

Down here in the Bible Belt, people were freaking out about those books and the movie, too. I enjoyed the first two moderately, but found the last one a little meh. To be honest if it weren't for all the hullaballoo about them I probably wouldn't have read them. I think a lot of tweens would find some of the philosophical bits to be hard going. I feel that Pullman put his message to the forefront at the expense of his story telling, but YMMV.

ETA: It's very subjective, but I'm not sure I would group these in with Sci-fi. I found them to be more towards fantasy with a tinge of steampunk. (Which I'm sure some people would call Sci-fi, but again - highly subjective.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, how could I forget 'His Dark Materials'? One of my favorite series ever.

Yes, the third book got a bit preachy/esoteric but I was willing to forgive Pullman for that :)

It's a real shame that the other movies didn't get made, probably in part due to the 'Christian' controversy that erupted around the first movie. I'd totally love it if my teenage kids read those.

OK, so new challenge for fundie fanfiction: who should be the character of Mrs. Coulter? :)

Archived