IGNORED

Chick-fil-A ceases anti-gay donations

MonkeyMomma

I sincerely doubt the truth of any of this. They'll still donate. They'll just get a third party to do it in their names instead.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised there hasn't been a backlash from the conservative religous right, a la the Komen fiasco.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for. Because I'm a spiteful asshole. ;)

I still wouldn't go there because the money goes from the company to Cathy and THEN to the hate groups, I bet. They're just moving it behind closed doors because they realized that not everybody is a hateful bigot.

I agree with this. Cathy and a handful of others like him are still pocketing the lion's share of the profits, and where do you think that's going? I hear the fundie pant-shitting from here, though, which is a win.

Apparently chick fil a is old news. Zsu's leghumper is posting about Kenneth cole supporting the ebil gays. There's also a whole bunch of other evil shit.

wait a minute

Through it, CFA employees can get college scholarships--but only to one small Christian college in Georgia (heavily funded by WinShape), and non-Christians are automatically excluded from eligibility ("The Student will seek to follow and honor Jesus Christ in all things that he or she does" []).

This flies in the US? Religious discrimination in Canada against employees would be unconstitutional (against Charter of Rights and Freedoms).

wait a minute

This flies in the US? Religious discrimination in Canada against employees would be unconstitutional (against Charter of Rights and Freedoms).

For a scholarship, yes, totally acceptable

It looks like Chick-fil-A was lying all along. A friend sent me this today, and since I saw it hadn't been posted yet I thought I'd share.

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/mike-huckab ... cb9145e01a

Yup, I read the link below yesterday, but couldn't find this thread to post it.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/09/2 ... ?mobile=nc

Lying liars who lie indeed. Al Franken was right about the whole lot of 'em.

For a scholarship, yes, totally acceptable

As appalling as this sounds in the context of Chick-Fil-A, it is perfectly legal and many companies and entities have similar restrictions on where they will direct scholarship money. For example, where I work, the scholarship can only be used at 4 year accerdited colleges. This effective STOPS the money from going to a unaccerdited religious colleges. So the laws around scholarships can work both ways in terms of religious selection. Scholarships are not considered part of an employee's benefit package in the US, that would be considered religious discrimination against employees here.

As appalling as this sounds in the context of Chick-Fil-A, it is perfectly legal and many companies and entities have similar restrictions on where they will direct scholarship money. For example, where I work, the scholarship can only be used at 4 year accerdited colleges. This effective STOPS the money from going to a unaccerdited religious colleges. So the laws around scholarships can work both ways in terms of religious selection. Scholarships are not considered part of an employee's benefit package in the US, that would be considered religious discrimination against employees here.

Many employers will pay for a valuable employee to go to grad school at night, or whatnot, but typically from accredited colleges with night programs (in my area SF State has a highly acclaimed MBA program you can do after work). Some places accept University of Phoenix degrees. Hell, are they even accredited yet? FFS, they're sponsoring a huge stadium in Glendale, they could afford to throw out some schollys to to the full-time employee going for their MBA or whatever. But again, any scholarships/grants are going to offered by the school, not the other way around. Then of course, every American college student (or their parents) know all about FAFSA, or if you're lucky like me, an academic grant during my senior year based strictly on my GPA.

Hey, Smuggar could create an employee college program and educate himself!!!!! NOT!!!!! Hell, RD could benefit from higher education and with their hours, and dead lot, he could work in classes at the Hog House at night while reading and writing and papers during the day. After all, he's the actual man behind the curtain. Smuggar is nothing more than the draw, complete with that wretched sign to remind everyone who he is. :roll: With a little education, I think RD could come up with a much better, far-reaching marketing plan that might actually help keep the lot afloat after TLC money dries up (I give it about 6 months after they air the final episode - isn't that how they're paid? I know game show contestants don't get their money or loot (most of which is sold off to pay the gift taxes) until after the show airs. These days, Duggar shows are airing 6 - 8 months after they were taped, a lot like Jeopardy back in the day (had a friend who was a 3 day champion - lost to one of Jeopardy's top 5 all-time players, Brad something...he was HOT!). Anywho, he had to wait FOREVER for his check. He's such a dork, he copied it, framed it and hung on his living room wall. Smugs? After that final check is spent, he'll have to find some room for all the Chapter 11 paperwork. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I could be wrong, but I think reality show performers are paid after the episode is filmed. They would be paid whether the episode airs or not. For game shows, they don't get paid or the goods until after airing so that the friends and neighbors don't see the stuff and thus run around spoiling the show results.

I could be wrong, but I think reality show performers are paid after the episode is filmed. They would be paid whether the episode airs or not. For game shows, they don't get paid or the goods until after airing so that the friends and neighbors don't see the stuff and thus run around spoiling the show results.

I think it depends on the contract. It might be different for people with ongoing shows, like the Duggars, but the one-time reality show episodes usually don't send out the check until the episode airs. The one I did was filmed mostly in March and we didn't get paid until July when it was on television.

Argh.

This is my alderman who's trying to keep them out of my ward (until November, then my ward gets changed because of redistricting). They're trying to open their store less than a mile from my house.

Chick-Fil-A is trying to get a zoning waiver from the Alderman because they want to open a freestanding kiosk in a Home Depot parking lot along a very overcrowded stretch that already hosts the busiest Target in North America. Chick-Fil-A has been in talks for SEVEN YEARS with our alderman and his predecessor to get into that stretch, and both aldermen said "No. Too much traffic, not enough parking." and Chick-Fil-A keeps pressing, and pressing, and pressing.

Are there 49 other wards in Chicago? Yes. Did Chick-Fil-A try to open a store in one of THOSE wards? Uh, no. They have one on the Magnificent Mile (just off it, actually) but they lease space from Loyola University. They want one in this space, because they'd be the only fast food store there and they'd make a lot of money.

The thing is, Chick-Fil-A was not being "singled out" to be told they couldn't have a zoning variance. Until our alderman - who is a good guy, but ambitious and likes to be in the papers - took the opportunity to say that they can't come into the ward because of their politics. Er, no, actually. They can't come into the Ward because of the traffic, parking, and overcrowding nightmare it would cause. There's FORTY NINE OTHER GODDAMNED WARDS. Let them go open their kiosk in one of the other ones.

By the way, we're also the ward where Walmart tried to get in and was rebuffed. It's like we're a MAGNET for shitty businesses, probably because we're a ward full of small, locally-owned businesses.

I'm sure that Dan Cathy is still a bigot, but honestly, that isn't going to change (just like i'm not going to become a right wing conservative any time soon). What did change was the corporation supporting anti-human rights orgs like Focus on the Family. If this is true, I will happily begin eating there again. Hell, I live in the south....maybe the lines here will be shorter now!

Haha... doubt it round here anyways. Our closest one is Southaven and it's ALWAYS been packed, even before all this crazy mess started happening.

wait a minute

One of my former co-workers used his CFA scholarship to attend Stanford. That was at least 10 years ago, so things could have changed. BTW, my friend is black and GAY, and no one would ever mistake him for a straight man. Another friend's son works at CFA. His manager is gay. My friend said they have strict anti-discrimination policies. I don't understand how this jibes with the hate the corporation eschews.

I'm still boycotting CFA.

Archived