IGNORED

Hobby Lobby And Birth Control

debrand

While I was reading an article on Huff Post, I came across this statement:

The bill's sponsor, Sen. John Lamping (R-Ladue), argued on Wednesday that it was important and urgent for lawmakers to override the veto because the Affordable Care Act requires most employers and insurers to cover certain preventative health services, including birth control, at no additional cost to the woman. He cited as an example the Christian-owned arts and crafts store Hobby Lobby, which announced on Wednesday that it is suing the Obama administration over the contraception mandate.

This makes me very angry. Protestants have not traditionally been antibirth control When the hell did this happen? I don't get the sudden move by nonCatholic organizations to try to claim religious reasons for not providing decent insurance for their employees.

Isn't Hobby Lobby Gothard-affiliated? It would make sense given that Gothard's all about the full quiver (not that I agree in the slightest).

Isn't Hobby Lobby Gothard-affiliated? It would make sense given that Gothard's all about the full quiver (not that I agree in the slightest).

Hobby Lobby is indeed Gothard affiliated. David Green was a major contributor to the Big Sandy facility. Ihate shopping a Hobby Lobby due to the Gothard connection. This is another reason to shop at Joann's or Michaels for my crafting supplies.

Hobby Lobby is indeed Gothard affiliated. David Green was a major contributor to the Big Sandy facility. Ihate shopping a Hobby Lobby due to the Gothard connection. This is another reason to shop at Joann's or Michaels for my crafting supplies.

I refuse to shop at Hobby Lobby because of the Gothard connection. There's one very close to my house, but I'm going to go to Joann's or the local yarn shop (LYS) to get some yarn to make my grandson-to-be a hat.

All the employees at our local Hobby Lobby are so cranky and awful I wonder if it's a horrible place to work at.

This. I've often wondered if employees are taken out back and beaten daily. They're always like, "What about my working in the fake flower department makes you think you should ask me a question about fake flowers?"

Weird, I just had a conversation with my mom about Hobby Lobby, since one is opening near her. I compared them to Chik-Fil-A, and she pointed out that even though they're Christian-owned, we don't know that they engage in political action. Well, now we do!

Damn. I had no idea that Hobby Lobby was connected to Gothard, I hate that I've given them money. I did always think it was weird that they posted that "Closed Sundays to allow employees time for family and worship" sign. So smug.

It's funny I'm just learning this now. I was at Hobby Lobby this past weekend and the young guy helping me at the register looked really nervous. He told me he had just helped a woman out to her car and in her trunk was a shot-gun and giant axe. I live in a large city. She told him she needed it for moving...

Between Gothard and the axe wielding customers, I don't think I'll be shopping at Hobby Lobby anymore :?

I *hate* giving them money. I try really hard to order stuff online rather than shop there, but they're the only place local that carries certain stuff I need for my artwork.

Damn. I had no idea that Hobby Lobby was connected to Gothard, I hate that I've given them money. I did always think it was weird that they posted that "Closed Sundays to allow employees time for family and worship" sign. So smug.

I've heard form multiple people that the employees are not actually off on Sunday, it's just the store that's closed.

As I've said before I would love to not give them any money, but they are right next to the store I work at and I need to buy stuff for work all the time. Somehow I doubt my boss will let me drive across town to go to Michaels.

All the employees at our local Hobby Lobby are so cranky and awful I wonder if it's a horrible place to work at.

Oh, it is a horrible place to work. They may make a big deal about being closed on Sundays, but a former manager told my daughter that their managers DO have to work on Sundays to take inventory and re-stock shelves. My rather conservative husband mentioned one day that Hobby Lobby treats their workers really badly. He knew a former employee or two.

While I was reading an article on Huff Post, I came across this statement:

This makes me very angry. Protestants have not traditionally been antibirth control When the hell did this happen? I don't get the sudden move by nonCatholic organizations to try to claim religious reasons for not providing decent insurance for their employees.

Fuck, fuck, fuck. I already absolutely did not shop at Hobby Lobby, because I knew their fundie drill (and we have Michaels and Ben Franklin within reasonable distance), but my eye immediately caught the rep's location. Ladue is an affluent suburb of Saint Louis... so this adds to our Akin shame. Damn it, I had convinced myself that I had my cozy blue island, no matter what the surrounding sea of red thought.... needing to move out of my house soon (for other reasons), now makes me ponder moving further afield....

Honestly, I think a lot of people are misinformed that the morning/week after pill is an abortion pill and not simply a birth control pill. If people did just a bit of research, they would know the difference.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are misinformed that the morning/week after pill is an abortion pill and not simply a birth control pill. If people did just a bit of research, they would know the difference.

Research? If it's not in the Bible, these people don't know it, don't want to know it, and want to keep the rest of us from knowing it too.

See i dont understand the debate. My employeer does not follow the mandate because their policy was grandfathered in. Thus no free bc for me

Is Hobby Lobby's whinging about paying for BCPs and the morning after pill a test case to see if the courts will let them get away with not following the ACA? Hobby Lobby is not a religious organization, they are a corporation that exists for profit. Will the religious leanings of corporate management get to dictate whether or not they cover BCP and the morning after pill? Because then any corporation could say, "Oh, we're religious so we're not going to pay for BC."

I hope they lose.

(And I don't shop there. I went in one once and it was so creepy. The staff was miserable and the store was filthy and disorganized.)

Our Michaels and Hobby Lobby are nearly across the street from each other. Michaels is disorganized and always understocked, and the Hobby Lobby is bright and shiny and huge and organized. I still choose Michaels when I have to buy something of that nature. Which is not that often, b/c I'm not crafty.

How come these people consider it OK to force their religious beliefs on their employees? The scream about the government forcing them to go against their religious beliefs, yet they have no qualms about violating the first amendment rights of their own employees.

A doctor wrote into the Dallas Morning News about the outrage of BC coverage for insurance, and pointed out that you wouldn't believe how many Catholic priests receive expensive HIV meds, and went on to say they didn't get HIV from transfusions but from sexual activity.

I really wish doctors and others in the medical community would speak up about this type of issue.

Hobby Lobby is a miserable place to work. I've known a few former employees at different locations, and they all say the same thing: the stores are chronically understaffed and the turnover is very high for all but the worst employees, who presumably can't find a job elsewhere.

I go to Michael's, and occasionally JoAnn's. Even without the Gothardite connection, Hobby Lobby is a lousy place to shop. Given that they help fund the crazy, there's even better incentive to avoid them.

Hobby Lobby is a miserable place to work. I've known a few former employees at different locations, and they all say the same thing: the stores are chronically understaffed and the turnover is very high for all but the worst employees, who presumably can't find a job elsewhere.

That's interesting because the Hobby Lobby near me always seems strangely empty and I have a hard time finding an associate when I have a question. I don't have that problem at the Joanns down the street. I also try to avoid them now because of the Gothard connection.

Fortunately for me, it's easy to avoid Hobby Lobby since there really aren't any stores close to me, but I have even more of a reason to keep going to Michael's or JoAnn's for fabric and other supplies. I get great service at those stores, and the employees seem to be treated better. One of the reasons I avoid WalMart as much as possible is that they also treat their employees crappy, and the stores are some of the filthiest places I've been to. By that, I mean that the shelves look like an earthquake just hit, and the last time I was there, I saw a dirty diaper left in the parking lot.

I've only been to a Hobby Lobby store once. I graduated high school in 2003, a month before my graduation, my parents and I were visiting relatives in a city a few hours from my hometown. My aunt told us that Hobby Lobby had a good selection of graduation decorations. We went and bought some stuff there. I remember the story being a bit dirty. There are a few Hobby Lobby stores in my city, but I've never shopped at them because none of them are near me. I prefer Michael's or JoAnn's. I found about the Gothard connection several months ago through FJ.

My daughter is lucky enough to have both Michael's and JoAnn's close and convenient to house. She also lives close to a Hobby Lobby, but it's easy to avoid shopping there.

Archived