IGNORED

Family First - So you don't have to think for yourself!

flojo

So. In New Zealand we have less fundies, but we still have our fair share

One of our major and most annoying lobby groups is Family First. Tonight our politicians vote on marriage equality. Seeing as FF was fighting so strongly against it, I figured I'd watch their intro video. The whole thing is pretty nauseating and rage inducing, but I found a real gem at 4:19...

"Sometimes, in the midst of all of this, I just don't know what to think. Family First midweek update gives a clear, concise overview of the issues. I feel like I've been given back my voice"

As in, she literally is claiming to rely on them to tell her what to think. :shock:

Here is the website: familyfirst.org.nz/#&panel1-3

Here is their promo video (also available on their site): youtube.com/watch?v=yZbzyIu8W5Q

Edit: syntax

My friend signed me up to their email and mailing lists :( . Bob McCoskrie is an asshole. At least that video was a nice summary of all of their terrible stances - cervical cancer vaccines for my daughter? no way! :roll:

Just plug in "good Christian American" wherever it says "kiwi" and it will all sound just like the fundie crap from the US.

Oh, except for the fact that NZ has actually passed a "no-smacking" law (hmmm, smacking -- there's a verb Michael Pearl hasn't either used or condemned yet). So, they have a video about those poor persecuted smacking parents, including heartrending music, cheesy dramatizations with a prissy self-righteous social worker, and weeping parents.

Ratings and comments disabled, of course.

BTW, I know nothing about the agencies involved, and am open to the possibility that they have screwed up now and then. I'm just commenting on the incredible level of manipulation in the video.

Just plug in "good Christian American" wherever it says "kiwi" and it will all sound just like the fundie crap from the US.

Oh, except for the fact that NZ has actually passed a "no-smacking" law (hmmm, smacking -- there's a verb Michael Pearl hasn't either used or condemned yet). So, they have a video about those poor persecuted smacking parents, including heartrending music, cheesy dramatizations with a prissy self-righteous social worker, and weeping parents.

Ratings and comments disabled, of course.

BTW, I know nothing about the agencies involved, and am open to the possibility that they have screwed up now and then. I'm just commenting on the incredible level of manipulation in the video.

I got about halfway through the documentary. Half of the families are blaming the legislation for things that have no relivance to it. Guess what? If a teenager called police before the legislation came through, claiming to have been punched in the face repeatedly, they still would have investigated. Regardless of whether the incident happened (which they are claiming didn't), the prosecution of it had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the bill that you are claiming you are being persecuted because of.

Another family was referri to their teenager needing "a smack in the bottom" - how degrading and humiliating (at any age, but especially for a teenager). And yet, once again, the documentary is trying to make them out as being good parents.... WTF?

I didnt realise Australia had exported Family First. Sorry.

I second that. Sorry NZ, you really don't deserve them.

Yeah - sorry to hear they have gone over the Tasman. Although I do take great delight at marking them very last on the ballot paper if I vote "below the line". That's quite fun and worth filling in the eleventy-hundred boxes.

Yeah - sorry to hear they have gone over the Tasman. Although I do take great delight at marking them very last on the ballot paper if I vote "below the line". That's quite fun and worth filling in the eleventy-hundred boxes.

Are they a political party there?

Here they are just a lobby group.

I got about halfway through the documentary. Half of the families are blaming the legislation for things that have no relivance to it. Guess what? If a teenager called police before the legislation came through, claiming to have been punched in the face repeatedly, they still would have investigated. Regardless of whether the incident happened (which they are claiming didn't), the prosecution of it had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the bill that you are claiming you are being persecuted because of.

Another family was referri to their teenager needing "a smack in the bottom" - how degrading and humiliating (at any age, but especially for a teenager). And yet, once again, the documentary is trying to make them out as being good parents.... WTF?

It's the one (can't remember if she was the grandmother or foster mother of the children, but she is raising them) who jabbed a boy in the thigh with a pen to "teach him a lesson," that got to me.

He'd jabbed his brother, and she made the brother jab him back as a consequence. The boy was reluctant, and when he didn't do it hard enough for her liking, she took the pen and did it harder.

It's the one (can't remember if she was the grandmother or foster mother of the children, but she is raising them) who jabbed a boy in the thigh with a pen to "teach him a lesson," that got to me.

He'd jabbed his brother, and she made the brother jab him back as a consequence. The boy was reluctant, and when he didn't do it hard enough for her liking, she took the pen and did it harder.

Yes - I think I blanked that one from my mind. :shock:

Again, this was illegal before the law change. You can't cry persecution because you're not allowed to stab your child with a pen!

Edited: spelling and a typo

Sadly, yes they are. http://www.familyfirst.org.au/

Ick.

Families care for the elderly, the disabled, the mentally unwell, the unemployed, single parents and others who have fallen on hard times.

Because ignoring anyone who is in difficulty and relying on families alone to care for people has worked so well in the past... :roll:

Archived