IGNORED

"Family Friendly Inn" Not Friendly to All Families

GeoBQn

Why would weirdghostboo want to fuck you? Go fuck yourself, you fucking bitch who wants to opress other groups. Go hide under a rock and and ask HoseBeast for some fucking; I'm sick and tired of you. You're probably hiding your sexual identity anyway with being a homophobe. ;)

We don't want her.

(also, I love the term "family" in the gay sense! I've met some older people who still use it. I would love if it made a comeback.)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if the ACLU had evidence of them doing this to other potential customers then why would agree to the settlement instead of going after them even harder? And your article is old, from way before this was even settled.

I can think of tons of reasons.

1) The ACLU has limited resources. Having obtained a resolution that satisfied them and their clients, why go forward, when they can use those resources elsewhere.

2) Lawsuits are stressful. The couple, as the clients, are calling the shots. They are the only ones authorized to decide if a settlement will be accepted. Why go forward when they had achieved their stated goal of ensuring no one else went through the same experience?

Related to other statements:

3) Where are you getting the idea that the former employee tried to direct their business in his or her direction?

4) So how does the offering of a settlement alter history so that they have no longer done the same to other people?

Since there have been no charges brought up against them for doing this to other potential customers then the ACLU lawyer can pretty much say whatever he wants to say. They didn't say, they "knew" this has happened, they said "we understand" which means at any time they can backpedal and say that the information they had was wrong and that the couple hadn't done this to other customers. Don't tell me you seriously think lawyers always tell the truth to the media. Hahahahaha!

The bolded statement is exactly what the "lawyers said", actually, in the original complaint:

On information and belief, during the same 12-month period in which the Meeting and Events Director refused to allow Ming and Kate to hold their reception at the resort, the Meeting and Events Director also turned away at least two other same-sex couples pursuant to the Wildflower Inn’s no-gay-reception policy.

"Information and belief" is a legal term that qualifies that the statement is not something that the speaker knows as a fact, but has heard secondhand. It's a protective statement. If the statement is not true, the valid defense against accusations of perjury is that the statement was not claimed to be true, just passed on.

It always makes me :lol: when the people who claim to be Christians who follow the Bible start with the "Fuck you"'s. This is what Jesus would do, right SWL? All things for the glory of God and all that? Turn the other cheek? A light on the hill for Christ?

Since this thread is rather full of the fuck-you-no-fuck-yous, I'd like to point out that I don't have an agenda but do like to probe into disputes like this.

Of course, I don't believe that everything that's said in a court case is true. However, that is going to be definitive source of what was claimed in court.

On the topic of the email, from the defendants' response (note: this is a scanned but not OCR's PDF. Any typos are mine)

20. The owners of the Wildflower Inn have recently seen a copy of this email. Defendant's Director of Meetings and Evens went on to say in her e-mail to Plaintiffs, "I am happy to assist you in any fashion through my personal business, http://www.greenvermontwedding.com. Please let me know how you would like to proceed." See attached Exhibit A. The Directory solicited the Plaintiffs' business despite agreeing to end her wedding planning business when Defendant hired her.

So, there's the origin of the theory that the director tried to get their business for herself. The email itself is exhibit A. The statement above left out the preceding sentence "I am so sorry and want to stress it does not reflect my personal or professional views."

Either way, I personally think it's unethical to do that, especially given that she had agreed to shut down her wedding planning business.

As for whether or not she was passing on a rejection from the owners and felt bad, or took advantage without asking the owners, it's addressed a bit more a little further down. From sections A and B:

A. Defendant does not have a policy of discriminating against same sex couples and never told Amalia "Molly" Harris, its Meetings and Events Director, of such a policy.

B. The Director was never authorized to reject requests from same sex couples; rather, she was to inform the Owners of the Inn, who would then speak with the couple. The Director never told the Owners of the Plaintiffs' request.

If true, the owners never got the chance to reject the couple so they wouldn't have been actively discriminating in this particular situation. If false, then the owners are just pointing fingers at someone else.

In the response to the third amended complaint, Wildflower claims that she did the same exact thing twice before: rejected same-sex couples, then solicited their business (28). That would seem to back up the "information and belief" in the two other incidents. Again, this could be true or they could just be shifting the blame.

It really heats up in the third amended complaint:

29. After the initial complaint was filed in this Action, the owners of the Wildflower Inn issued a statement to the press confirming that they have a policy of discriminating against same-sex couples seeking to hold a wedding or civil union reception at the facilities. In the statement, the owners of the Wildflower Inn stated that “our Wedding Coordinator did not handle the couple’s request in the manner that it should have been,†but the owners of the Wildflower Inn reaffirmed that “[w]e do not . . . feel that we can offer our personal services wholeheartedly to celebrate the marriage between same sex couples because it goes against everything that we as Catholics believe in.†(emphasis added).

In the response to the third amended complaint, Wildflower admits to making that statement, but claims that it the edited part in the complaint was not accurate. I actually agree with that. They also claim that they don't have a stated policy of discrimination, but I think that the final sentence is pretty much an admission that they do.

“Many of our guests have been same-sex couples. We welcome and treat all people with respect and dignity. We do not however, feel that we can offer our personal services wholeheartedly to celebrate the marriage between same-sex couples because it goes against everything that we as Catholics believe in.â€

Still bad, but not as bad as it sounded at first.

Anyway, this has gotten tl;dr so I'll stop there. Solely based on this thread and the docs I read, it sounds like they have a conviction that same-sex marriage is wrong, possibly used their event director to turn down event requests for those weddings (but maybe not), and that their event directory decided to use that to her advantage.

(edited to fix missing italicization tag]

Guys, I need some help. I'm helping my friend find nail polish for a character he's going to be playing (Angel in RENT) and we know it has to be blue, but we don't know which shade of blue to do! Any suggestions?

Does your friend know his color season? (That mostly has to do with whether his skin tones/natural hair colors have a warm or cool base.) If he's a spring or a summer, pastels usually work nicely, like a robin's egg blue or a sky blue. If he's a fall or a winter, go with darker jewel tones, like sapphire blue.

PROTIP: If he has an olive complexion with a green undertone, veer away from teal blue; it'll probably end up looking more like green, especially from a distance (like on a stage). You'll want something with more red/purple instead.

shedemei, interesting. Thanks for the link. Given the way SWL twists things to suit her own viewpoint, I'm not inclined to trust what she says without backup.

Archived