IGNORED

Teh ebul gays are taking over the post office!

SpeakNow

Goddammit you're dragging me out of the railfan closet. :lol:

What I hate is the "You can't have trains because America is too big!" argument. Bullshit. It worked well enough in the past, it works nominally well in other large countries today.

I would love to have a triangle of bullet trains between DFW, Houston, and Austin/San Antonio. Each leg is a bitch to drive (not even a good highway between A/SA and Houston!) and there would be so much economic benefit if day trips were possible between the cities.

Hey there's others? Woot :D

But yeah. There's a plan floated for high speed rail from St. Louis to Chicago and elsewhere (other than the one half sorta adopted) from the French that would have my house able to get to Chicago in 44 mins, it would be a game changer in a good way. But noo....

Usually when someone pulls the "but the US is too big!" argument you can counter by saying "well, take one of our states then." For education it works well.

Meanwhile if I could get some of the ROADS I bike to work on even half-ass repaved, I'd be happy. The worst of them has finally gotten onto the municipal road repair schedule but it's 2 summers away from now (summer of 2014). Already it's craters upon craters and patches upon patches upon asphalt upon brick with rocks and whatever coming up out of huge holes... I have a commuter bike, I can't imagine if some road bike tried coming through, they'd bend a wheel!

Making a trip feasible as a NON-PLANNED day trip is truly a game changer and would bring a lot of the elusive economic benefits and business opportunities they're always dreaming of. But someone noone seems to ever want to risk it.

I bet if the gays did take over the post office, it would sure as hell run a lot better than it does!

Those queers are good at organizing, damnit! :lol:

THIS! When I saw this topic title that is exactly what popped into my mind.

My close friend is getting married in a few weeks and tons of her invitations weren't received and the few that were, the RSVP's aren't getting back to her. Its been a nightmare. I've also lost several pieces of mail this year. I don't know whats going on but they need to get their act together ASAP.

Hey there's others? Woot :D

But yeah. There's a plan floated for high speed rail from St. Louis to Chicago and elsewhere (other than the one half sorta adopted) from the French that would have my house able to get to Chicago in 44 mins, it would be a game changer in a good way. But noo....

Making a trip feasible as a NON-PLANNED day trip is truly a game changer and would bring a lot of the elusive economic benefits and business opportunities they're always dreaming of. But someone noone seems to ever want to risk it.

Right, I know it.

It's so nice to have my city linked up with Dallas proper now and not have to drive it, if I don't want to. I know that many of my friends and I would love to go to Austin for events without having to stay the night; people like my dad find it inconvenient to fly to Houston but don't want to drive, either. So the ridership is there. It's just that we've completely lost track of the fact that you do, in fact, have to invest money if you want to improve the infrastructure.

But somehow in the US there's this weird idea that roads should of COURSE be paid for via taxes or whatever else because it's infrastructure, but trains are something else, some luxury item that has to make a profit. It is to laugh.

Most Tea Party people are also against subsidized roads.

Right, I know it.

It's so nice to have my city linked up with Dallas proper now and not have to drive it, if I don't want to. I know that many of my friends and I would love to go to Austin for events without having to stay the night; people like my dad find it inconvenient to fly to Houston but don't want to drive, either. So the ridership is there. It's just that we've completely lost track of the fact that you do, in fact, have to invest money if you want to improve the infrastructure.

Another Texan here whow would love to be able to go to Austin, San Antonio, or (ew)Dallas from here in Houston without driving my car. I'm only working here and commuting in (in my car...) before I move in a few months and I'm already taking public transportation! XD I'm really disappointed that the light rail expansion that will be going by my university won't actually be finished until I graduate. :(

edited for clarification

WHAT THE FUCK THE POST OFFICE I DON'T EVEN

So what would they do? Spread mystical gay aura* over all the letters, thus gaying them up? So gay letters would be going around turning Americans gay?

The world of the Lousewife and her contributors is a a surreal one indeed. I know post workers, some of them are comrades. It's quite a macho culture in my experience, the biggest problem being taking too much drugs. This has yet to be transmitted in letter form.

*Semen.

WHAT THE FUCK THE POST OFFICE I DON'T EVEN

So what would they do? Spread mystical gay aura* over all the letters, thus gaying them up? So gay letters would be going around turning Americans gay?

The world of the Lousewife and her contributors is a a surreal one indeed. I know post workers, some of them are comrades. It's quite a macho culture in my experience, the biggest problem being taking too much drugs. This has yet to be transmitted in letter form.

*Semen.

Some of these people seem so lacking in brain cells that I think they really do think that gay can be transmitted through microbes.

The next time we get suspicious white powder going through the mail they'll be, "Fuck! Gay!!" instead of the slightly more rational, "Fuck! Anthrax!"

Oh, trains. I long for the day when CA high speed rail is a reality. Sigh...

OTOH, I took a 4 day train ride from San Jose to Atlanta on my beloved Amtrak, and it was lovely. We do the Coast Starlight/Surfliner all the time to visit family and I love my trains

All Aboard!

gaytrain_updated-Final-600x302.jpg

I wonder if you get gay by licking the stamps, like the old days of LSD.

Oh, trains. I long for the day when CA high speed rail is a reality. Sigh...

OTOH, I took a 4 day train ride from San Jose to Atlanta on my beloved Amtrak, and it was lovely. We do the Coast Starlight/Surfliner all the time to visit family and I love my trains

I really want to do a trip by train around the Western part of the US next time I go on vacation. Way too many of the things on my bucket list are train related, lol. :lol:

All Aboard!

gaytrain_updated-Final-600x302.jpg

I wonder if you get gay by licking the stamps, like the old days of LSD.

It would be awesome if we could turn that into an urban legend. :twisted:

I really want to do a trip by train around the Western part of the US next time I go on vacation. Way too many of the things on my bucket list are train related, lol. :lol:

Me, too! Next on my list is San Jose to Portland to visit family and Oakland to Chicago on the Zephyr

Me, too! Next on my list is San Jose to Portland to visit family and Oakland to Chicago on the Zephyr

Let me know how that is. That's one of the ones I want to take because I hear the scenery is stunning.

It would be awesome if we could turn that into an urban legend. :twisted:

We would need a bunch of dummy (or legit) email addressed to build up the address line on the first email we send out. Need to write an article, and attribute it to a reliable source (AP, or perhaps faux news [reliable means someone who might actually report it]). Then we all start forwarding to our friends and family with "OMG! This is so cool, check it out and forward!" type message. Wait a few months and we should have an urban legend.

(These things are so much easier in the information age!)

The only place where "But America's just too darn big!" applies is Alaska, which spreads fewer than a million people over a landscape the size of Scandinavia--all of Scandinavia--and covered in rugged mountain ranges, quaking bogs, and permafrost. And even here, if we had (say) ten million people, we could probably make a coast-to-coast or coast-to-border railroad work. I will say, however, that the existing railroad takes a hell of a lot of maintenance. Anything that lies on the ground in the open takes a beating here.

The fact that you can't go coast to coast by rail in the Lower 48 should be a cause for national shame IMO.

Back on topic: I do not care if they are having three-way consensual orgies in the sorting room as long as they don't get any body fluids on my mail and it is delivered on time.

Another Texan here whow would love to be able to go to Austin, San Antonio, or (ew)Dallas from here in Houston without driving my car. I'm only working here and commuting in (in my car...) before I move in a few months and I'm already taking public transportation! XD I'm really disappointed that the light rail expansion that will be going by my university won't actually be finished until I graduate. :(

I'd love it. My husband and I ride the DART rail when we're in Dallas for concerts and the State Fair at Fair Park. Two all-day passes is cheaper than parking and I love not having to drive through that mess.

I'd love it. My husband and I ride the DART rail when we're in Dallas for concerts and the State Fair at Fair Park. Two all-day passes is cheaper than parking and I love not having to drive through that mess.

Dart is awesome. Hope we get another train that shadows 635 someday, though.

That would be nice!

The Highway to Hell is being revamped right.frickin.now, it pisses me off to no end that there can't be money found to build a rail line while they have it torn up in the first place.

Let me know how that is. That's one of the ones I want to take because I hear the scenery is stunning.

I bought a house a ten minute walk from Diridon, so I've been taking at least one big Amtrak trip a year now. I really, really enjoyed San Jose to Portland. The scenery was really lovely, and it was very relaxing. It's quite a long trip, but the timing works out so that you sleep through enough of it that it doesn't seem too long. The train station in Portland is fairly convenient to the downtown. We stayed at a hostel outside the main downtown, a long, but doable walk from the station. There are also tons of buses and light rail in Portland.

If you can swing the upgrade to a sleeper car, do it. It's worth it for that length of trip (although the coach seats are really luxurious, like first class plane seats), not just for the sleeping space, but the wifi and private lounge/dining car, too. The included meals weren't bad, though not haute cuisine. All the train people were nice, working and fellow travelers both. The overall experience was one of being pampered, while having as much privacy and solitude or socializing as I wanted, and it really made it feel like a vacation.

I bought a house a ten minute walk from Diridon, so I've been taking at least one big Amtrak trip a year now. I really, really enjoyed San Jose to Portland. The scenery was really lovely, and it was very relaxing. It's quite a long trip, but the timing works out so that you sleep through enough of it that it doesn't seem too long. The train station in Portland is fairly convenient to the downtown. We stayed at a hostel outside the main downtown, a long, but doable walk from the station. There are also tons of buses and light rail in Portland.

If you can swing the upgrade to a sleeper car, do it. It's worth it for that length of trip (although the coach seats are really luxurious, like first class plane seats), not just for the sleeping space, but the wifi and private lounge/dining car, too. The included meals weren't bad, though not haute cuisine. All the train people were nice, working and fellow travelers both. The overall experience was one of being pampered, while having as much privacy and solitude or socializing as I wanted, and it really made it feel like a vacation.

Taking a sleeper car to LAX is on my bucket list. (AND WIFI??? I didn't know they offered that now! I thought that was just on Acela.) It has been for a long time now, but the sleeper upgrade is super expensive, man. And Amtrak in general, considering what a plane costs and how much time it takes. So I really hope I get the opportunity soon.

Also, over here, the fucking RMT. They are legends and nearly every train conductor you see wears an RMT pin or tie.

http://www.rmt.org.uk/

All of us in the trade unions are fond of the RMT. They have the best banners and they're militant as fuck.

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Crow

I've heard him speak many a time. And my mum once texted me with the simple words. "I love Bob Crow". :lol:

Also, over here, the fucking RMT. They are legends and nearly every train conductor you see wears an RMT pin or tie.

http://www.rmt.org.uk/

All of us in the trade unions are fond of the RMT. They have the best banners and they're militant as fuck.

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Crow

I've heard him speak many a time. And my mum once texted me with the simple words. "I love Bob Crow". :lol:

I found [link=

video[/link] a while back on a "Fudies don't know jack shit about traditional gender roles" binge a while back, currently have it backlisted for when I get on a computer with sound again. You might find it interesting for the labor aspect.

Archived