IGNORED

Seven Sisters do Public Relations classes with... Llamas?!?

holierthanyou

Today's post puzzled me- is 4H itself a fundy cult?

What on earth are you doing with a llama at charity events for hospitals that requires you to do PR (WITH the llama)!?!

I was really hoping the whole post was just satire, but I guess not.

I grew up doing 4-H. It's more of a rural thing. Kids do projects ranging from photography to livestock. It's divided up by county and you try to get a blue ribbon for your project. If you do a great job you get a purple ribbon and get to move on to the state wide competition. 4-H isn't a fundy cult but full of wholesome clean fun which would attract fundy types. I never dressed up my animals in 4-H ;)

I grew up doing 4-H. It's more of a rural thing. Kids do projects ranging from photography to livestock. It's divided up by county and you try to get a blue ribbon for your project. If you do a great job you get a purple ribbon and get to move on to the state wide competition. 4-H isn't a fundy cult but full of wholesome clean fun which would attract fundy types. I never dressed up my animals in 4-H ;)

Ask me about my State Fair Grand Champion canned peaches! That's how bored I was as a fundy child. Dressing up llamas would have been a hoot in comparison.

I did 4-H as well. I learned knitting and folk dancing. There were many other options as well but that's what I focused on. I also did an interpretive dance to Prince's Little Red Corvette with a friend. I'm very, very glad that videotaping performances was not as common. There is no record of that performance.

I was in both the homemaking 4-H clubs (cooking, camping - no sewing for me) and the beef calf club. You would exhibit at your local county fair and then go on to a provincial one if you wanted. I did not dress my calf up, but it was the 80's so there was a lot of teasing and spray glueing of the tail switch - it washed out with oil... :?

Ask me about my State Fair Grand Champion canned peaches! That's how bored I was as a fundy child. Dressing up llamas would have been a hoot in comparison.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I helped run a 4-H group for homeschoolers when we were in that scene. We actually started our own club and made sure it conflicted with the schedules of everyone but a small group of homeschooling moms I was friends with. We did cooking, folk dance, a few other things. I was in charge of the cooking one so that is the only one I am really familiar with. The program itself is not fundie, but we were sure that some fundies would come and crash so we took measures against it.

Ask me about my State Fair Grand Champion canned peaches!

This should be a bumpersticker.

Here's the punchline... we weren't even allowed to be in a 4H group. My dad didn't want us mixing with the other kids, so we just formed our own group which consisted of my sister and me. Good times!

Those girls have the same sense of humor as Rebecca Eleventy and the Maxwells. There is some story in there about a sticker that is just not very funny. And a pic of one of the girls with a chip on her shoulder. Jokes ensue. I guess it might be nice though to be so easily entertained! Maybe that's a bonus of being so sheltered.

It strikes me as I'm reading this that the older girls, in most families, would not be able to spend a week, day in and day out, at the 4H fair. They'd have to work. Which honestly, would seem to make so much more sense.

Am I the only one who thought of Grandma Dynamite & Tina upon seeing this topic?

Just me, then?

'Sokay. ;)

My cousins kids both took steers to the state fair and ribboned. They are the 3rd generation of farmers in our family.

When I was at the MN State Fair we saw the kids exhibiting 1 year old bulls. Anti frizz sprays, Garnier products, those bulls looked pretty darn spiffy.

That's what I miss about the midwest, going to the fair and and walking the barns. Still got some farm blood in me.

Am I the only one who thought of Grandma Dynamite & Tina upon seeing this topic?

Just me, then?

'Sokay. ;)

Come get your dinner, Tina. You fat lard.

My kids did Cloverbuds(the youngest group) which like Em we formed for a group of homeschool friends. It was really cute, we hatched baby chicks in inubators(my batch never worked of course, but most peoples did),worked the petting zoo at the big fair, stuff like that. My youngest won $5 for his animal picture and he thought that was awesome.

My 2 younger kids have worked the petting zoo the past few years as their bff's are still in the horse group. My friend is about to quit, she said it is becoming all about fund raising and working on the books they turn in than actual horses.

Most of the groups here are fundie lite and they do not want "others" infiltrating. I called 2 years ago about the sharpshooter group for my oldest son and the woman obviously did not want us coming. My son was on a shooting team for 2 years, its not like he didn;t know what he was doing.

My cousins kids both took steers to the state fair and ribboned. They are the 3rd generation of farmers in our family.

When I was at the MN State Fair we saw the kids exhibiting 1 year old bulls. Anti frizz sprays, Garnier products, those bulls looked pretty darn spiffy.

That's what I miss about the midwest, going to the fair and and walking the barns. Still got some farm blood in me.

I love the MN state fair!

My sisters and I did 4H. It was fun but not fundy. I learned all sorts of useful skills and in fact still use the bread recipes I got from one club.

Archived