IGNORED

Because Dungeons and Dragons is Evil....

Alecto

I present to you Dragonraid - the "Christian Role Playing Game"

http://imgur.com/a/Sfpwp

Another planet in the universe is created and called EdenAgain. Man exists on this planet but is corrupted when a Great Red Dragon unleashes 9 serpents on the world. Man becomes enslaved and ruled by the Red dragon (all dragons in Dragonraid are evil and stand ins for demons and the devil), until the Overlord of Many Names (Jesus) liberates a group of people. These people are the twiceborn, and fight against the dragons freeing the enslaved.

(Hat Tip goes to /r/RPG on Reddit for this gem)

Don't fundies feel that they're hypocritical trying to Christianize Dungenons and Dragons and that they're really sinning to try to get more sheep? But it's ok as long as it's Christianized! * :roll: * And those cooperations worried about copyright issues and whatnot; why aren't they up in arms over this? Is it because they don't care or are some of them fundies too? So as long as somebody is the same religion as you; they're free from the law? * :? * That's... A bit un-settling. * sorry if the post was off topic :oops: *

There's a million role playing games out there, so they're probably okay on the copyright front unless they get TOO obvious. But yeah, the way so many places try to just say "oh we're not of the world and you people are all evil but hey! we're going to make a Christian version of everything you have and then it's fine" is just... :roll:

It's always some inferior imitation, too. If the stuff was actually GOOD, secular people would probably also listen to it/play it/read it - proven by the fact that secular people read/listen/watch stuff based on other countries' religious stories all the time, not to mention all the GOOD Christian art out there that is similarly consumed by everyone. Handel's Messiah, yes, Stryper? Not so much... :)

There's an old Chick-tract about D&D. I wonder if he really believes the bullshit he prints!

chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

I play SWTOR. Doomed? Perhaps player who choose only light-side options and serve the Republic can be redeemed, but as I am playing Sith... hm....

I remember a poster on 7xSunday who had a very troubled marriage. One of the things she said she did to save her marriage was to start playing WOW with her husband.

If I remember, she rationalized it because she played a priest.

I loved D&D. My Da used to work for TSR (during the Gygax/Blume years) and he brought the games, books and shit home for me. I guess that explains why I am so crazy! That, and my da would drag us to trade shows. :lol: Man, I loved going to the shows, dressing up in garb, buying gems and more dice (which I didn't need because I had over a 100 of 'em any way).

I know that some churches in the area were focusing on the "fantasy" aspect of the games. It opened the door to satan and all that. Then the whole "suicide" bull-shit, which didn't help the company at all.

I guess if you make it Christian, fantasy dragons are okay?

BTW: Gary Gygax was an ass!

There's an old Chick-tract about D&D. I wonder if he really believes the bullshit he prints!

I play SWTOR. Doomed? Perhaps player who choose only light-side options and serve the Republic can be redeemed, but as I am playing Sith... hm....

Well as long as you don't try to play Sith in real life, I say you're good. You need to vent off your "evil urges" somehow. Playing a Sith lord in the game not only vents out these "evil urges", but also since this only takes place in the virtual world, no one gets hurt. It's a win win.

Don't fundies feel that they're hypocritical trying to Christianize Dungenons and Dragons and that they're really sinning to try to get more sheep? But it's ok as long as it's Christianized! * :roll: * And those cooperations worried about copyright issues and whatnot; why aren't they up in arms over this? Is it because they don't care or are some of them fundies too? So as long as somebody is the same religion as you; they're free from the law? * :? * That's... A bit un-settling. * sorry if the post was off topic :oops: *

Even in my fundylite days I never understood this and yet I could never get an answer on why Harry Potter was "bad" and yet Narnia and JRR Tolkien "good."

I am oddly obsessed with Chick-tracts. They're very interesting from an an anthropological point of view. The D&D one is among my favorites!

Is this really that different from D&D? It's still fantasy, and I'm surprised fundies are ok with people writing what is basically Bible fanfiction.

Even in my fundylite days I never understood this and yet I could never get an answer on why Harry Potter was "bad" and yet Narnia and JRR Tolkien "good."

Even some fundies think that LotR and Narnia is bad because both books mention magic and magic is OMG from Satan, even though Solomon (I think it was him) used it for fortune-telling in the Bible. Even though Lewis is using Narnia to preach Anglicanism under a huge fantasy novel metaphor; and the same with Tolkien but he used Catholocism Christianity in place of Anglicanism Christianity.

Is this really that different from D&D? It's still fantasy, and I'm surprised fundies are ok with people writing what is basically Bible fanfiction.

There's a Bible section on ff.net, but underneath the fundie poems and I'm Greatful to certain Biblical people/Saints, God, and Jesus 1-shots, I heard there's some JesusxSatan yaoi...

Why must they take everything and make it lame? It's like some sort of obsession or trying way to hard to be "hip."

ETA" I AM the Sin! Woooo. I fucking hate frumpers.

Damn right Dungeons and Dragons is evil. Do you know how hard it is to get Cheetoh stains out of things?

There's a Bible section on ff.net, but underneath the fundie poems and I'm Greatful to certain Biblical people/Saints, God, and Jesus 1-shots, I heard there's some JesusxSatan yaoi...

Yes, Satan/Jesus yoai is popular, but I have always been more partial to Jesus/Judas

TRAGIC LOVE!

Guest Anonymous
Damn right Dungeons and Dragons is evil. Do you know how hard it is to get Cheetoh stains out of things?

waa2ucfgVgQ

I love D&D. And cheetohs.

This reminds me of a particular early episode of Focus on the Family's radio show, Adventures in Odyssey, which was entitled "Castles and Cauldrons". It specifically warned against the evils of "so-called role-playing games" (Dobson's own words!). However, it seemed that the writers were confused about what Dungeons and Dragons actually entailed: the game "Castles and Cauldrons" consisted of dressing up in costumes, running around in the woods, and trying to defeat pretend enemies. And then saying incantations involving apparently real magic when efforts to defeat said pretend enemies fail. :lol:

Guest Anonymous
This reminds me of a particular early episode of Focus on the Family's radio show, Adventures in Odyssey, which was entitled "Castles and Cauldrons". It specifically warned against the evils of "so-called role-playing games" (Dobson's own words!). However, it seemed that the writers were confused about what Dungeons and Dragons actually entailed: the game "Castles and Cauldrons" consisted of dressing up in costumes, running around in the woods, and trying to defeat pretend enemies. And then saying incantations involving apparently real magic when efforts to defeat said pretend enemies fail. :lol:

So ... LARPing? Only I've never seen any real magic come about. Maybe we're doing it wrong because we just throw beanbags at people.

So ... LARPing? Only I've never seen any real magic come about. Maybe we're doing it wrong because we just throw beanbags at people.

This makes Jesus cry

Guest Anonymous

j_ekugPKqFw

This makes Jesus cry

Maybe it would work if he said it in Latin. Isn't that why the fundies hate Harry Potter? Because ZOMG real spells!

l2Rq9nDyn0o

What a thread about the sinister activities that occur in a D&D game and no one has posted Summoner Geeks yet? ;)

I find the Christian themed first person shooters to be a little more scary that a Christian roleplaying game, though. My cousin had the one based on Left Behind (gross enough). In that one you try to convert people and if you can't then you get to kill them. :/ I think there was also another older one that looked a lot like Doom, but you were some crusading knight killing demons instead.

Though I don't think I knew any truly fundie people who were allowed to play anything other than board games (so no video games or anything of that sort).

Well as long as you don't try to play Sith in real life, I say you're good. You need to vent off your "evil urges" somehow. Playing a Sith lord in the game not only vents out these "evil urges", but also since this only takes place in the virtual world, no one gets hurt. It's a win win.

Sarcasm alert, sarcasm alert :roll:

Maybe it would work if he said it in Latin. Isn't that why the fundies hate Harry Potter? Because ZOMG real spells!

I play with a bunch of Latin students, we've tried, and it STILL doesn't give us the eldritch powers that the Chick Tract said it would. It's terribly disappointing. :cry: I'm just going to have to go back to listening to rock music, I suppose.

Archived