IGNORED

Fundies who don't follow the skirts-only uniform

longskirts

Yeah. I don't get the Coghlans. Or the Raising Olives people. Seriously, the Coghlan daughters on facebook seem SO normal, until you read about their beliefs and realize they are batshit insane, whether they listen to the Rolling Stones, watch Doctors Who, and enjoy Monty Python or not.

This is what fascinates/worries me about them. How can people embrace so many "mainstream" things, and be so fundy at the same time? My personal theory is that it all boils down to Dad's whims. If dad says that the Rolling Stones and Monty Python are great, they are. If he says President Lincoln was a "scoundrel," he was. His word is law, even though in some ways it seems to contradict itself often.

I know someone who's pretty fundy but also lives in a very mainstream way. She wears jeans, strapless tops and shorts and she uses the pill (though she had to make sure that it wouldn't cause an 'early abortion' first!), yet she agreed to obey her husband at her wedding and takes the Bible pretty literally. I really, really hope she doesn't take Genesis for fact.

Well she also had this as a Facebook post:

"I just was randomly struck with a curiosity as to how many of my friends are aware of the fact that President Lincoln was a low, disgusting, godless, lying, cruel, scoundrel who didn't give a flip for African slaves."

So skirts or not, still a VF fundy of the SOTDRT, south-will-rise-again variety. Smug ignorant twit.

:shock: Uh, what? Why does she think this and is this a common belief in these circles?

OTOH he was a hell of a vampire hunter.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And a cyborg, apparently:

steam_punk_abe_lincoln.jpg

Apparently she also listens to Janis Joplin, Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones and Modest Mouse. That's surprising for a conservative Christian. Either she's not so conservative after all, or there's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on.

And then there's this:

2102_1043298037885_239_n.jpg

The only skirt-wearer is doing a full flip in it (although it doesn't appear to have slid down)

I know someone who's pretty fundy but also lives in a very mainstream way. She wears jeans, strapless tops and shorts and she uses the pill (though she had to make sure that it wouldn't cause an 'early abortion' first!), yet she agreed to obey her husband at her wedding and takes the Bible pretty literally. I really, really hope she doesn't take Genesis for fact.

I wouldn't have thought so, that's pretty standard in a lot of churches who do not believe in literal 6-day creation. A lot of Christian women agree to obey their husbands in their marriage vows as a sort of anti-PC thing (not that I agree with them). In my experience, most of them don't actually obey their husbands in practice ;)

Also, I imagine that poorer ATI families are skirts-only because skirts are so easy to sew and can be made out of old sheets, curtains etc.

Could be. And a woman dressing as a man might have been trying to take advantage of male-only privileges, something that would surely have upset religious leaders of the time.

Of course, I'm still puzzled what any of that has to do with Christians in modern-day America, or why they are willing to follow some ancient prohibitions and not others.

The ancient Hebrews also had all those laws about cleanliness and uncleanliness. A woman in male garb might sneak into some forbidden part of the Temple while she's menstruating or after she has given birth.

No, I don't understand what any of this has to do with modern-day Christians in America either, except in the sense that the fundies, like the ancient Hebrews, feel a deep need to separate themselves from the cultural practices of the surrounding heathens.

The ancient Hebrews also had all those laws about cleanliness and uncleanliness. A woman in male garb might sneak into some forbidden part of the Temple while she's menstruating or after she has given birth.

No, I don't understand what any of this has to do with modern-day Christians in America either, except in the sense that the fundies, like the ancient Hebrews, feel a deep need to separate themselves from the cultural practices of the surrounding heathens.

True. It's all so ridiculous, though. Let's say a modern Christian believes that the Bible forbids women from wearing men's clothing, so a woman can't wear anything purchased from the men's department. Do these people ever question why they are adhering to this prohibition, or is it just following a rule for the sake of following rules? What on earth could be wrong/bad/sinful about a woman dressing in clothing marketed to men?

Recently I read that the prohibition of women dressing like men should actually be translated that women shouldn't wear battle garments. That might make a tiny bit more sense within the OT construct.

Recently I read that the prohibition of women dressing like men should actually be translated that women shouldn't wear battle garments. That might make a tiny bit more sense within the OT construct.

Yes, that does make sense. The ancient Hebrews didn't want their enemies mistaking their womenfolk for men and killing them, although Deborah rode into battle and another woman named Yael was the one who drove a stake through the enemy's heart. That's not the same as being some random woman walking about in a soldier's garment, though.

Yes, that does make sense. The ancient Hebrews didn't want their enemies mistaking their womenfolk for men and killing them, although Deborah rode into battle and another woman named Yael was the one who drove a stake through the enemy's heart. That's not the same as being some random woman walking about in a soldier's garment, though.

head. Through his head :o

This is what fascinates/worries me about them. How can people embrace so many "mainstream" things, and be so fundy at the same time? My personal theory is that it all boils down to Dad's whims. If dad says that the Rolling Stones and Monty Python are great, they are. If he says President Lincoln was a "scoundrel," he was. His word is law, even though in some ways it seems to contradict itself often.

I was raised in a fundie-lite-lite church. I only realized they were fundie-ish in the last couple of years. Though all this "obey dad he's like God" stuff wasn't anywhere in our church. The majority of fundie-lites are like this. Watch mainstream movies and tv with sex and violence and sing songs with dirty lyrics and dress like everyone else...and believe some really weird stuff. It's okay to watch it if you don't do it. And then most people do it too, and then when they become parents and have to start shoveling the crap down their own childrens throats they start acting "right" and pretending like all that stuff isn't in their past and looking down on people who still do it. And I only figured out those people didn't always live "right" in the past few months. They're all very good liars. And hypocrits. And I am far happier in my new mainline church, and I wish I could convince my parents they've been steeped in lies and hypocrisy for years, but when we disagree on religious matters they just shut the conversation down with "these are my theological beliefs. I don't gripe about yours, or try to change your mind, so let me have mine."

Well she also had this as a Facebook post:

"I just was randomly struck with a curiosity as to how many of my friends are aware of the fact that President Lincoln was a low, disgusting, godless, lying, cruel, scoundrel who didn't give a flip for African slaves."

So skirts or not, still a VF fundy of the SOTDRT, south-will-rise-again variety. Smug ignorant twit.

I just checked her FB profile. And 5 of the first 7 things she likes, are also on my list: Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash, Blind Side, Bob Dylan, Country-Musik.. really strange. I wonder how Kim will ever marry her off.. in fundie circles her daughter might be too worldly to find a spouse.

Archived